Saturday's Dinner Thread - 10-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Saturday comfort - Empty the Fridge ..........
Croydon Goulash ! Ground Beef, Onions, Fire-Roasted Tomatoes, Yellow Corn, Italian Spice Blend...
Shredded Jack Cheese Topper...

Pan Dance 10-16-21.jpg

Saturday comfort - Empty the Fridge ..........
Croydon Goulash ! Ground Beef, Onions, Fire-Roasted Tomatoes, Yellow Corn, Italian Spice Blend...
Shredded Jack Cheese Topper...

View attachment 49318

I am curious to know how this has been named "Croydon" Goulash? As a Brit I know Croydon as a Borough of London.

As for me I made a home made pizza. (Though no Italian would recognise it.) :blush:

Dinner tonight was burgers and onion rings. The rings turned out not as great as the last time, the batter didn't stick. The burgers were fine.

I made a Danish dish called "krebinetter". It's fried, breaded, ground pork patties. I'm still tweaking the seasoning, but they were pretty good and nice and juicy. I reheated some rice pilaf from a recent Greek resto delivery and served a salad with my regular vinaigrette. I'm stuffed.

Krebineter, Linda's plate.jpg

Krebineter, Stirling's plate.jpg

We wanted to try the Mexican restaurant that is one town over. The pictures look like the real thing and the reviews are good. Turns out, they are closed on the weekends! I guess they keep very busy during the week and just don't need to do weekends. Nice for them... I brought out the frozen burrito meat and we had beef and cheese burritos! It hit the spot and was easy too.

I made a Danish dish called "krebinetter". It's fried, breaded, ground pork patties. I'm still tweaking the seasoning, but they were pretty good and nice and juicy. I reheated some rice pilaf from a recent Greek resto delivery and served a salad with my regular vinaigrette. I'm stuffed.

View attachment 49319

View attachment 49320
Those pork patties sound really interesting. Would you share your favorite recipe?

A cheesesteak is a (provolone) cheese steak with peppers and onions with the addition of slices of Genoa salami.

Delicious!
Okay, had to leave abruptly. Now I can describe the steak bomb - Andy has it partly correct. The pizza place we get it at basically puts all the ingredients of a Philly cheese steak sandwich into pizza dough rather than a roll. You can get it with everything (shredded steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms) or have them not include the ones you don't like. Instead of Whiz like a Philly cheese steak, or provolone, like Andy mentioned, this place adds mozzarella cheese. And no salami.

Okay, had to leave abruptly. Now I can describe the steak bomb - Andy has it partly correct. The pizza place we get it at basically puts all the ingredients of a Philly cheese steak sandwich into pizza dough rather than a roll. You can get it with everything (shredded steak, onions, peppers, mushrooms) or have them not include the ones you don't like. Instead of Whiz like a Philly cheese steak, or provolone, like Andy mentioned, this place adds mozzarella cheese. And no salami.
It does sound like da bomb! [emoji38] Yum!

Bear meat breakfast sausage, my pancakes, blueberry syrup, rice milk. Kids also had scrambled eggs. The sausage was very good. Couldn't hardly distinguish it from pork breakfast sausage.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was describing a steak bomb sub, not a calzone as was asked. I'd call yours a cheese steak calzone. The tomato sauce and mozzarella are the calzone part of the deal.

Oh well, everyone has a different version. If you visited 100 restaurants that offered a steak bomb sandwich or calzone you'd probably get 150 different recipes.

Those pork patties sound really interesting. Would you share your favorite recipe?

I've only made them once before. They were kind of bland with only salt and pepper for seasoning. This time I added paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. I'll try other stuff in the future.

The recipe says to use 600 grams of ground pork for four servings.
Shape the pork into patties and mark both sides with a cross hatch pattern. Here's a picture to give you the idea.

1_880.jpg

Then the patties are dipped into a beaten egg and then covered in bread crumbs.
Fry the patties in butter (I used bacon fat) until the juices run clear. I used an instant read thermometer and took them off at a bit more than the 165°F that I was aiming for.

Here's a link to the original recipe in Danish. It also has a recipe for an interesting potato salad. If you look at this link it will ask you to choose whether or not to accept cookies. "Afvis" means you don't want any cookies.

https://www.dk-kogebogen.dk/opskrifter/28389/krebinetter-med-kartoffelsalat-og-lime

I made mine thinner, which would have been too big for the frying pan, in the round shape. That's why mine wre oblong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom