Saturday's Dinner Thread 11/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled Johnsonville Smoked Brats, Navy Beans, Light Kidney Beans with Onion & Rotel Tomatoes, with a little Baby Ray's, Steamed Florets ..........

Brats, Grilled .jpg

Last night I made another batch of that dhansak, using that masala mix I made a while back, so it went fast. I made it with 1¼ cups whole mung beans, and 1/2 c steel cut oats, which I cooked in the IP. I started my usual way, sautéing a chopped onion in a little oil, adding some minced ginger and garlic with 2 tb dhansak masala for about a minute, before adding the water, and rinsed oats and beans. I pressure cooked them for 10 minutes, and let it release naturally, before stirring in the tarka. Meanwhile, I peeled and cleaned 3 c of diced butternut, and when the pressure released, I stirred it in, then covered, and let sit 15 minutes. This cooked it just right, though the reheating softened the squash a lot, but it is still good. As always, I had to add some water for reheating - it became solid in the fridge!

I added some yogurt to the reheated dhansak today, just to add variety, plus I added some croutons - just some rye bread cubes, made from the last few slices of my loaves of bread, by drying them out in the toaster oven. I always have some pickles to serve on the side - I opened a pint of okra pickles today; last night I ate the end of the green tomatoes in the fridge.

Country-style pork ribs with a proprietary rub, roasted potatoes with a never to be duplicated seasoning blend and steamed broccoli.

26A188C2-F6B3-4F14-BA0B-11F83087DF91_1_105_c.jpg

Country-style pork ribs with a proprietary rub, roasted potatoes with a never to be duplicated seasoning blend and steamed broccoli.

View attachment 49979
Mmmmm, I love country-style ribs [emoji39] So much meatier than the baby backs DH likes so much [emoji6]

We're on the road to Michigan tonight. I packed some nibbles that we can eat in our (halfway there) hotel room, unless we have the energy to pick up something more substantial first.

We had supper at our hotel again. I completely forgot to take any pictures. While the food was fine last time, it was better this time. DH had penne arabiata, which he considered "good". I had their Cobb salad, minus the tomato. I considered mine very, very good, yummy. It had large chunks of beautifully seasoned, grilled chicken, large chunks of avocado, a hard boiled egg in halves, bacon bits, chunks of blue cheese, on a bed of various types of lettuce, and a lovely ranch dressing. We had the house white wine with our meal, which today was a Cabernet blanc and really nice.

I was full, but hadn't finished my meal. I got a take out box. We got to the room and I started nibbling on it, not from hunger, but it was sooo good. In fact, I would have kept on nibbling on that salad until I was stuffed, but I had already finished it.

Back
Top Bottom