Saturday's fare, 1-21-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
My eccentric neighbor from our old house is coming over today to give us a lesson on how to make pierogis from scratch.

My wife has been on the phone with him all week in preparation. He is obsessive, to say the least, about how these are made. He learned from his now-passed Slovakian mother and grandmother, so it's kind of a sacred thing to him. Plus, he's a little off. This is the guy with the aresenal in his basement, and has strange things around his house that make you wonder about his political connections and his past.

Anyway, DW prepped the onions, kraut, potatoes, and pot cheese yesterday. All had to be done by hand, and by strict specifications.

He should be here soon. Umm, unfortunately, I have to he back in at work by 3, so I'll miss the second half of the show. He said we should expect a yield of about 150 pierogis, so I guess that'll be dinner in my house tonight.
I'll eat at work.

What are you cooking today? Will it be under strict supervision?

So exciting, BuckyTom! Very envious! We had bacon, eggs, and hash browns since I woke up way too early. For lunch I get a break fro cooking because spouse wants to go to Chinese restaurant in town. So we'll be in a food coma the rest of the weekend from all that :)

Dinner plan is - Meatloaf, steamed baby spinach, mashed potatoes and gravy.

Our pierogi lesson:

(that's my neighbor in the Arm and Hammer shirt. No pics of his face allowed, of course)

Attachments

• 0121171329b.jpg
    0121171329b.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 161
  • 0121171301e.jpg
    0121171301e.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 121
  • 0121171400b.jpg
    0121171400b.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
60294-albums1067-picture6842.html

The miniature food I had mentioned, spouse was so curious for me to make. Pizza, bread, cinnamon rolls, with cork for size comparison.
He had to fix the outside of the rental in horrid horrid weather with ridiculous wind, so made this to cheer him up!
-and if the picture doesn't show up, it is just linked from my album of food here.

Last edited:
My "lads" are in the kitchen making all kinds of Indian food-smells so frigging good. And they have picked out a movie. I am having "date" night with the lads!!!! I love them so much and I am going to miss them so much when I get on the plane tomorrow.

The pierogies look great!

We had a garden fritatta with odds and ends of various veges in fridge and potato cake with leftover mashies.

Pierogis look picture perfect.

We arrived at our new digs in Aruba. We're pretty tired. We had sandwiches for dinner made from the conducts we picked up on the say from the airport. Smoked turkey, provolone and genoa salami. Crispy little gherkins on the side.

I was lazy and poured some tortilla chips on a sheetpan and topped with refried beans and a copius amount of cheddar cheese and baked it in the oven. Served with sour cream and salsa.

Pierogis look picture perfect.

We arrived at our new digs in Aruba. We're pretty tired. We had sandwiches for dinner made from the conducts we picked up on the say from the airport. Smoked turkey, provolone and genoa salami. Crispy little gherkins on the side.

I wish I were in the Caribbean and sitting on a beach looking at bikini-clad women. :) It's rainy here and 50 degrees.

How long are you going to be there?

Took GF's son out to an Italian restaurant..I have veal and onion soup....it was good. A bit expensive, but it was to treat him, so......

Yesterday we ate at a local Italian place. The lasagna was horrible -- tasted like the meat had turned bad, and there was no seasoning in the meat. And the portion size was small. I usually don't complain about food, but I asked if the server could take it off the bill.

Wife ordered the lunch special steak which was really, really good (I had a bite), and it was only $9 -- same price as the lasagna. It came with mashed garlic potatoes and a side salad.

We'll go to the other Italian place next time -- larger portions, better food, better bread.

It's all about the bread, jd_...

Flour, those tiny foods are so cute! I was never able to work with things that small, but our daughter and younger niece would make little foods and objects from Sculpey for their doll houses. BTW, if you didn't know, rodentraiser here on DC creates doll houses and their accessories.

bt, Those. Pierogis. Look. AHmazing! Made them once a winter or two ago. Need to do it again. How did using the pasta machine work out? I have my Mom's. Haven't used it yet, but she may have used it just once herself.

I did end up making the two different soups yesterday. We had enough left over for our supper tonight after having it last night and setting some aside for my neighbor. Himself killed off the white bean and Swiss chard, I finished the creamy mushroom soup. Wasn't thinking when I was pouring, so it was a thin creamy. Still tasted good! The proof of my labors:

Attachments

• 2017-01-20 23.06.58.jpg
    2017-01-20 23.06.58.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 134
Forgot to post our dinner yesterday. DH picked up and installed our new smart TV, so we got distracted playing with that after we ate :LOL:

I got several things out of the freezer last night! :clap: A top round roast, a half pint of homemade roasted tomato-jalapeño salsa, a cup of ratatouille (minus eggplant) and a cup of grilled corn kernels from last summer.

I browned the roast in the Instant Pot, then removed it and deglazed with the ratatouille and salsa. Added the meat back and pressure-cooked it for about 30 minutes altogether. When it was done, I shredded the meat and poured it all into a saucepan to reduce the liquid.

Then I made polenta in the Instant Pot - 8 minutes at high pressure. After it cooked, I added the grilled corn and emptied the last of a bag of shredded mozzarella into it (indistinguishable from Monterey Jack, imo), stirred in some Penzeys Pico & Salsa seasoning and some salt. The meat was a little dry (as I thought it would be), so I added a teaspoon or so of leaf lard from the butcher. Also made a side salad. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 1485098088493.jpg
    1485098088493.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
My friend and I took a taxi to Outback Steakhouse. We sat at the bar, since it would be a long wait, and split an order of crab cakes, a salad, and a fillet. Perfect!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom