Seared Tuna Shashimi on Baguette with Basil Mayo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANINTHEKITCHEN

Assistant Cook
I love Tuna..especially when it is just caught.
Living on Long Island I am so fortunate to have great fish local.

Fresh tuna...warm baguette..homeade basil mayo...yum!
How do you like your tuna prepared?
My wife HATES it raw..or seared or anything close to pink. I think anything more than pink is dry like cardboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raw is my favorite, just sashimi or spicy tuna tataki on a fresh corn tortilla chip with a touch of cream cheese. I also like to bake it with celery salt & lime, flake it & add mayo, celery, red onion, apples & toasted almonds. The best tunafish salad ever. (The stuff from a can just doesn't cut it.) Also like it seared with sesame seeds put on a bed of sauteed spinach, fried shitaki mushrooms on top with a ginger soy drizzle & some wasabi & ginger on the side. My DH is fishing tomorrow so I am looking forward to some fresh tuna for dinner!

Ahi is a great fish to cook with, and is one of my favorites because it's so versatile, and is a great canvas for carrying different flavors, beit Asian, Mediterranean, Latin, etc. I prefer it either raw in some type of cru type dish, or seared rare, but no more than medium rare. Fresh Ahi cooked more than medium rare is garbage. You lose the very essence of the fish if you cook it farther than that. If you cook it past medium, you may as well just order cardboard.

Ahi is a great fish to cook with, and is one of my favorites because it's so versatile, and is a great canvas for carrying different flavors, beit Asian, Mediterranean, Latin, etc. I prefer it either raw in some type of cru type dish, or seared rare, but no more than medium rare. Fresh Ahi cooked more than medium rare is garbage. You lose the very essence of the fish if you cook it farther than that. If you cook it past medium, you may as well just order cardboard.

Overcooked ahi is catfood.

At a friend's house recently, he made an appetizer of sesame-crusted seared tuna, still quite rare, over white rice with a dab of wasabi and a splash of soy sauce. Delicious :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom