Signature Dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi GotGarlic & kitchenelf - I'm really interested, what are Greek marinated grilled chicken & smoked beer but chicken? Many thanks.

I make a variation of the beer-butt chicken that Katie E described last summer. Instead of beer, I use white wine and fresh herbs - tarragon, thyme, rosemary, whatever I feel like that day. The herbs go under the skin and in the can with the wine, and I use a cleaned soda can.

There's a photo on this page of the chicken on the grill: Featured Recipes & Techniques

I guess if I had to pick something that is my own, it would have to be my parmesan chicken wings which came about when I was incorrectly diagnosed with celiac disease. They have no bread crumbs and are very flavourful. I am always asked for them for catering menus or pot lucks alike.

Growing up it was always "dump cake". You take a 13x9 greased pan, "dump" a large can of cherry pie filling on the bottom, on top of that "dump" a large can of crushed pineapple with most but not all the juice. Over that sprinke (or "dump") a 2 layer DRY cake mix (either white or yellow) and don't worry about lumps. Then dot the top with small pieces of butter or margerine. Walnuts or pecans are optional on top. Then bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. It can be served warm or cold, but I liked it best warm with whipped cream! It is actually a classic dessert that goes by many names like Cherry Crunch Cobbler, but I always knew it as Dump Cake!

I LOVE DUMP CAKE!!!
I don't know why I always forget about that one, I've never made it myself, someone else always does.

I can!!!
I forgot about my cream of chicken / wild rice soup.
and corn chowder.
dump cake and soup..... that'd be good!

What is your signature dish? I always go cold if someone asks this question, but after a lot of thought I decided it just has to be Tart Au Citron. I would like to say it's my own recipe but, alas it isn't. It is a recipe from Ruth Rogers River Cafe Blue Book. I think I have made it for everyone I know & it has always been a huge success! What's yours?

Please tell us more about the tart au citron. Sounds fab. Hard to pin down to one sig (dish that defines me). Over the years of cooking, my tastes have changed. I've had some flops & hits. I'm partial to souffles - cheese being one of my faves. Mostly lean toward fresh ingreds - salads seafood etc - not big on breads & dessert (baking cookies etc). I do love cheesecake. On the heavy side, I make a pretty good pastitsio. Anything pasta, gets my creative cooking juices going. My sig dish is still a work in progress. ;)

Last edited:
Depends of the method of which I cook........

WOK: Sweet and Spicy Chicken w/ fried rice or Orangepeel Shrimp.

OVEN: Red cooked BBQ ribs.

GRILL: Garlic Burgers

RAW: Various Sushi and Sashimi.

Last edited:
hmmmm funny I had to think about that, because they're not the same today as they were 10 years ago...

Falafel Crusted Salmon on a bed of Spinach (p.84)
Leg of Lamb with Garlic Sauce (p.110)
Coconut Pound Cake (p. 161)
and brownies. We make some 30 different variations. :chef:

Really, how does one choose. I make a lot of dishes that nobody else amongs my friends and the comunity doesn't make. But I really do not know if they are my signature dish. I think if one would ask what I am famous for, a lot of peopple will say soups. I make a lot of very good soups. Personaly I think I make the best Borscht around.

My signature dish is called Melagnon a la Sicilian. Picture a 9 x 13 inch lasagna, layered with thin slices of sautéd eggplant instead of noodles.

I think that my most popular is my cheesecakes. They come out with a great crispy crust, smooth texture, not too rich. What people love even more is when I give them the recipe, they love how easy it is. I think the reason mine are so good is that I've made SO many at one of the restaurants I worked at, and I know just when to yank it from the oven.

I do have a couple of lesser known dishes, that I've made better than I've had anywhere else. These came out of wanting to really elevate some classic dishes. One is Chicken Parmesan, which I can recreate easily if necessary. The other, was homemade spaghetti and meatballs, the sauce which I made from fresh heirloom tomatos and herbs, the meatballs from some leftover Kobe beef and ribeye scrap. I don't know that even if I had the ingredients again, that I could make that dish as good as I did then. That was likely the best meal I ever made. Good ingredients and a little luck can go a long way.

Back
Top Bottom