Single Table Restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been tempted to follow through with that, but everytime I tried it, the server just suggested the most expensive dish.

Then they have missed the point. Because the most expensive is rarely the best.

Anymore, I only do that when I know the chef, or can speak to her/him before the meal. When I do that, I am uniformly wowed.

I've been tempted to follow through with that, but everytime I tried it, the server just suggested the most expensive dish.

Don't stop the practice, just be familiar with the menu before you ask....and when the waitress makes the suggestion of what is 'best'..ask why. If they have a detailed answer then it's more than just pushing the most expensive dish.

Is it fair to ask what is best? I like that you (Vera) qualified it with a "why" You could get a server's personal preference. I waited tables back in the day and one server always dismissed certain choices when asked because she didn't care for them.

Anyway, Vera if you open a place I am sooooo there.

If the server has there best interest in mind they would give you what the place does best. If its really good, you'll

#1 leave a bigger tip for suggesting it
#2 Come back to dine again
#3 Tell your freinds

Ive asked a few servers in fine dining that I worked in and asking the service staff what they suggest or what they think is the best or even what the place is known for are good ways to go about it

I would definitely go to a restaurant like this ... as a matter of fact, have when travelling. Meeting new people and eating new foods is part of the fun. There was a place like this around here, but we never went because among our freinds are food-a-phobics. The first people to call in reservations got to sit with the chef and decide what was available and good. Anyone else who showed up ate what everyone else did. It was a half-hour drive away, so we really never got around to it, and I regret it. But in Slovenia we ate at places where "this is the meal, eat here or don't" several times, and I remember doing it when I was a kid in Germany.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom