Single Table Restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ya know, vera, if a person i knew could prepare a lovely menu (like your dinner thread menus), i would be a patron. not to someone i hadn't seen demonstrate thier talent, though.

There actually IS a similar place in Jersey City (I have not been there, but have heard quite a bit) called 15 Fox Place, and it is in someone's house! It's only open on Saturday and Sunday, and you pay a set price and eat whatever they are serving. (You can call ahead for the menu) It's a BYO place. I've always said I wanted to try it, but haven't made it yet.

There's a place like that down the shore....it's in someone's house. It's not advertised anywhere, and you have to know someone to get the address. There was a recent article about it in the Philadelphia Inquirer...and they didn't list the address!

.....I would also like a different wine paring with each course. What ever the chef recommended.

When are you opening VB? lol

location location location....and the divorce settlement would be nice, too...

I see a shop that features more than simply cheeses, although I like the idea of including cheese. I prefer to think of the shop as someplace you'd go when trying to put a cocktail party together....or the breakfast for the morning after;). I'd like to carry some booze, more artisnal, local stuff.

The evening meal would seat no more than 16, but probably closer to 12. Easily a 5 course meal...but small plates, not huge. I'm a big fan of a the langiappe, as well...which would be introduced as the parties were seated.

All paired with wine, culminated in a cheese course and then something sweet...

ya know, vera, if a person i knew could prepare a lovely menu (like your dinner thread menus), i would be a patron. not to someone i hadn't seen demonstrate thier talent, though.

That's a nice thing to say, thanks! You truly have to have an aggressive palate for something like this. You have to trust that the chef isn't going to serve something so off the wall that it would freak anyone out...yet you have to be willing to try new things. I bet you'd eventually relax and enjoy the adventure.

This sounds like the French Laundry experience on a much smaller scale.

I couldn't help but think the same thing.

Though I have now wrapped my head around the idea, the financial part of me still screams, IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

More power to those that are doing it, and succeeding.

I would always be prepared to sip bourbon after a fine meal....and would always welcome your bottle...ah, company:angel:

How is Saturday looking? You ready yet?

Why don't you just come here for dinner, till I am ready..?

I'm making quail with figs and goat cheese. First course is an eggplant and potato napoleon.

I have a request for a key lime pie for dessert...but I want to deconstruct it. I'd like to make tiny lime mousse, cream sauce swirls and tiny graham cookies...

Talula's is right down the pike from me. Quite fine. During the day a gourmet shop and also take outs for home dining. All that stops for the sit down meal. But that's how they make a go of it.

A fine tasting menu restaurant (could order 2-5 courses from a great variety) recently closed in Wilmington De. Very fine so quite sad to see them go.

I'd love to go to a place like that- and I would absolutely keep going back as long as I 'got' the chef- understood what is was he was trying to do with his particular brand of cuisine. Prominent food writers all describe their best meals as ones where diners more or less must submit to the Chef's whims. Of course the Chef doesn't know what you, or any other individual likes, but the Chef probably know much better than you what's good.

Of course this is extremely inconvenient for folks with allergies, for example, or folks who would absolutely rather die than consume a particular ingredient. Of course, for the latter, there's always the chance that if you would rather die than consume consume fish, maybe you've just never had good fish- and this particular Chef may be able to show you just exactly what great cooking can do for an ingredient that repulses you.

The reason I think a place like this would be so good is that good Chefs tell a story with their food and their style. Great food can evoke emotion, and can even be appreciated much like art.

My two cents worth - I love your idea!

I also spend a lot of time trouble-shooting for small business that face financial difficulties.

In my limitied experience, it is never that they lack good ideas and often their sales are remarkable, but they fail to realize how much those sales are costing

Make a business plan, take a couple of classes on entrepreniership, get a mentor,if you think you need one. Your culinary skills are certainly not lacking.

You will spend more time working with bankers, accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents than you will ever spend in the kitchen. Are you up for that?

It may sound cynical. I don't intend it that way. I'm wishing you the very best!

There is a place on Plum Island that serves breakfast by day in a small fun little place. On the weekends dinner is served, by reservation and seats about 12. There are four tables. The menu offers two choices for the main course but everything else is the same for all. There is no menu to choose from ahead of time. It's byob. I enjoy going there and feel the chef does a wonderful job. Small place on a sandy road across from the ocean with candles and all the ambience one could want. I love different venues for my dining experiences.

Wish I would have read this thread earlier.

I always love being wowed or ordering the special or jsut asking the waitress/waiter to give me what they do best.

ive been doing ti for some time and I havent been disapointted yet. Alot of things havent wowed me but I dont think anything can wow me. (thats another story)

I did the family sytle thing in amsih country in Lnacaster PA. I was kidna like ehhh about it but its really cool. You meet all these people. and passing arounf the food really opens up the conversation and since its tourist area the opening line is like ohh where are you from.....

Wish I would have read this thread earlier.

I always love being wowed or ordering the special or jsut asking the waitress/waiter to give me what they do best.

ive been doing ti for some time and I havent been disapointted yet. Alot of things havent wowed me but I dont think anything can wow me. (thats another story)

I did the family sytle thing in amsih country in Lnacaster PA. I was kidna like ehhh about it but its really cool. You meet all these people. and passing arounf the food really opens up the conversation and since its tourist area the opening line is like ohh where are you from.....

Vera is not talking family style here. I don't know if you thought she was or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom