So, what ended up on your plate this Turkey Day 2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had a dry brined fresh turkey and it was great! Doing that again and probably with chicken too. Sides were dressing, gravy, scratch-made green bean casserole, and sweet potatoes Foster (think banana). Dessert will be butterscotch pie eith whipped cream. Right now, I'm stuffed!

Fresh free range Turkey, rubbed in duck fat.

Creamed onions, mashed sweet potatoes, smoked beet and spinach salad with feta cheese, walnuts dressed with mustard oil, sourdough apple walnut stuffing. Sourdough bread.

Apple Pie, cream cheese sweet potato pie with ginger crust, pumpkin pie.

My first year cooking, everything came out quite well.

https://goo.gl/photos/bqhAJakJXaEwPciU6

Roast turkey with gravy and sage stuffing.
Mashed potatoes
Rice Pilaf
Broccoli
Glazed carrots
Butternut squash
Cranberry sauce
Rolls and Butter
Chocolate cake
Ice cream
Apple Pie
Assorted cookies

Traditional Thanksgiving dinner: Roast turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cherry sauce, roasted green beans and onions, rolls and butter. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert. Yummy.

Attachments

• 1480037598995.jpg
    1480037598995.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 175
Thanksgiving menu

Turkey

Turkey Gravy

Mashed white, Yukon and red potatoes (European butter, sour cream, fresh chives and chives and onion cream cheese spread added)

Mashed sweet potato and acorn squash (butter, maple, brown sugar and orange added)

Stuffing (celery, onion, mushrooms and walnuts sautéed in butter with salt, pepper, fresh chopped rosemary, sage and thyme)

Sautéed mushrooms (fresh garlic, oregano, fresh basil)

Cranberry tangerine and pecan relish

Jellied Cranberry sauce

Stuffed mushrooms

Green olive, cream cheese and walnut poppers

Pumpkin Pie

Apple Pie

Whipped Cream

Last edited:
Turkey day for two:

Roasted brined fresh turkey rubbed with Williams Sonoma turkey paste
dressing/stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce
roasted smashed baby potatoes
roasted brussel sprouts
sauteed french green beans with shallots

soup: roasted cauliflower with leeks
wine: Meiomi pinot noir

Slept right through it. Shrek and I had meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy and broccolini yesterday. (His meal choice) Made baked apples served with cinnamon ice cream.

Tostadas. Thanksgiving isn't really a special holiday for me, so I'm just kicking back as usual. But in honor of the day, I think in a little while I'm going to go raid the candy machine.

Last edited:
The kitchen dance began at 9:00 when I started the wild rice stuffing...got the bird stuffed and trussed shortly after 11 (and yes, I know all about the concerns of internal heat of stuffing. Our stuffing is hot when it goes in--the rice is hot, the stock added is boiling, and the butter is hot. That's how my grandma did it, that is how my mom did it. Anyway, I temp before I temp the bird--the stuffing was 165 F when I removed the turkey from the oven--the thighs were 173 and breast meat was 165). FWIW, I preheat the oven to 500, cover the bird with foil, cook it at 450 for 1 hour, baste and drop the heat to 425 and cook it for another 1.5 hours until the temp is around 140-150.. The last hour it cooks at 350 with the foil removed until the temps are right. While it rests, I cover it with foil and two bath towels. The stuffing was almost 175 when I scooped it out. We also had a tossed salad, roasted squash. mashed potatoes, cloverleaf rolls (those went in when the bird came out to rest), gravy, B&B pickles, dill pickles, beet pickles and blueberry sauce instead of cranberry sauce. Dessert was apple pie with whipped cream. Starters was various things--dill dip, fresh veggies, etc., while those not doing the kitchen dance watched the football game. The dance ended on schedule--Dinner was on the table at 3:00 p.m., cleanup was done by 6 (dessert was at 5, so I guess the conversation flowed). No fights, arguments, drunks, or discussions about politics or religion. It was a very nice Thanksgiving, even if there were only five of us around the table.

Last edited:
Well, our Thanksgiving was in early October, and I don't think we had turkey then either.

TB had leftover steelhead trout with rice and salad.

I am still fighting a cold so had leftover butternut squash soup and onion focaccia bread. Later I had a Caesar salad. Lots of onion, garlic, lemon...

Turkey, dressing, gravy, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans (no casserole this year) cranberry sauce, olives, pickles, rolls, pumpkin pie and chocolate sundae pie.

Were invited to Glenn's daughter's home, which is very near us. Not a crowd. Just her fiance, her two girls (middle school age), Glenn's mom and 4 other family/acquaintances of theirs.

You'd never know there were so few eating because the spread was ginormous:

Roast turkey
Lots of turkey gravy (Gravy can be a beverage in the South.)
Whole baked ham
Country-style green beans with onions and ham chunks
Fresh kernel corn
5-layer salad
Cranberry fluff salad
Cranberries
Mashed potatoes
Hash brown casserole
Sweet potato casserole with candied pecans
3 kinds of cornbread dressing
No stuffing, the turkey was roasted au naturel
We brought 2 dozen potato rolls I'd baked earlier in the morning

Then there's dessert..........

2 kinds of pumpkin pie (one sort of standard, another walnut-pumpkin)
Pecan pie
Good old-fashioned vanilla wafer banana pudding
Heath bar cake
I know there was another pie, but I just can't remember

There was all sorts of beverages (besides gravy) for folks to drink. Water, sweet and unsweet tea, lemonade, soda pop of all manner, coffee, wine. Just about anything one could name.

If it wasn't enough to serve such a fantastic meal, there was a massive hors d'oeuvres spread laid out on a side table in the breakfast area of the kitchen for folks to eat as they arrived to keep from starving as the meal was being prepared/finished.

After it was all over, we were were as stuffed as the turkey could have been.

It was all fabulously delicious and, of course, we were sent home with a big selection of leftovers. I won't have to cook for days, especially since we were gifted with the turkey carcass (not very picked) and a pan full of juices.

Alton Brown's recipe for brined turkey, giblet gravy, green chile cheddar cheese mashed potato casserole, home made herbed dinner rolls, green bean casserole, home grown butternut squash, 2 kinds of cranberry sauce (canned whole and horseradish sour cream) tossed salad, home canned apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Here is a photo of Dh's first plate and our friends we shared this meal with.

Attachments

• DSCN5487.jpg
    DSCN5487.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCN5488.jpg
    DSCN5488.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 138
After all my wishful thinking, T-day was a non-complicated affair and I couldn't be happier. Spent most of the day cleaning rather than cooking.

A small turkey breast so the traditionalists wouldn't rebel. And, as I predicted, no one touched it. Turkey sandwich, anyone?

Deviled eggs
bag of salad (the guest brought this)
steak au poivre
mashed potatoes and gravy
stir-fried green beans

Dessert:
Pumpkin pie with candied pecan topping
mousse au chocolat with homemade cookies and whipped cream

It was lovely dinner! Our first Thanksgiving in our new home. I couldn't be happier.

I just took mine up to 160 in the oven hoping it would come up unstuffed to 165.

Think you were observant of temperatures. I kept mine slow, five hours, with a lot of basting at 320, just because it was the first large turkey I've ever done, it was a really expensive free range turkey (I did pay for it), but I really really didn't want to mess it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom