So you are gonna have a big meal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Thinking about this last night, I wonder what folks do when they know they are going to have a big meal or eat some place special.

For example, DH and I are going to have a meal at Copeland's. We will more than likely share a bowl of gumbo and share the seafood platter. When I know that I am going to be eating possibly a day's worth of calories (or more) in one meal, I usually skip all other meals for that day. I don't do this everytime we go out to eat, but if I know that the meal is going to be particularly filling, I try to compensate by eating less of other meals/snacks for the day.

How do you folks handle it?

I find that if I eat a couple small meals before indulging in a large dinner, my body feels so much better than if skipping them altogether. If I skip a meal I am sure to really go overboard and eat a lot more than I should. Beside that fact, it keeps the blood sugar on an even keel.

I don't mind going overboard if I know I'm gonna get some good grubb. I know it is not the most healthiest thing to do. Since I stay up really late, I will more than likely end up having a snack of some sort later. We usually go for lunch/dinner around 3 or 4pm.

As a matter of fact... I'm gettin really hungry now!!!!

I don't mind going overboard if I know I'm gonna get some good grubb. I know it is not the most healthiest thing to do. Since I stay up really late, I will more than likely end up having a snack of some sort later. We usually go for lunch/dinner around 3 or 4pm.

As a matter of fact... I'm gettin really hungry now!!!!
Then go have something lite and easy, some yogurt, a few cheese slices and a couple of crackers and a slice or two of apple.. Celery with a little peanut butter..I love a hard cooked egg and a sweet pickle:LOL:
kadesma

No matter if I'm going to eat a big meal or not I make sure that I eat a light breakfast (bowl of cereal and fruit) and lunch (cottage cheese and tomatoes) otherwise my body is so starved that it thinks its going into starvation mode and will suck up all the fat consumed and hold it in reserve...thats how pounds pack on.
Plus, if I didn't I'd be so hungry when it was time to eat the big meal I'd eat so fast I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it and get fuller quicker.

Oooooo... great idea kadesma... I do happen to have some hard cooked eggs handy!!! Thanks toots!!!

No matter if I'm going to eat a big meal or not I make sure that I eat a light breakfast (bowl of cereal and fruit) and lunch (cottage cheese and tomatoes) otherwise my body is so starved that it thinks its going into starvation mode and will suck up all the fat consumed and hold it in reserve...thats how pounds pack on.
Plus, if I didn't I'd be so hungry when it was time to eat the big meal I'd eat so fast I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it and get fuller quicker.

That is a very good point!

I might eat lightly the day of or the day after, but I really can't skip meals at all - I get *really* irritable.

btw, you don't have to worry so much about the number of calories you get in a given day, as long as it's not too much every day; evening it out over a few days gets you the same result without the feeling of starvation ;)

i usually eat fruit & bagels & stuff during my day, cause we eat pretty heartily fer dinner. i'm trying to not adjust to jake's fastfood & restaurant regime. unlesss it's a great restaurant.

Anticipating a big meal at night on a date night with DH (now a once a month event instead of weekly...) I do not change my usual meal. I usually have a slice of fruit in the morning with all my vitamins and a glass of juice, just little snacks during the day, then off to our favourite Chinese buffet restaurant that has 6 different areas from Japanese, Italian, American and the usual Chinese chefs cooking on the spot. I know I will feel full all week so some leafy salad with very little meat for that rest of the week (or two). It is so easy to indulge when good food is cooked right in front of you...:angel:

I knew a couple who would starve for 3 days before going to an "all you can eat" brunch meal so they would get their money's worth! I don't think that's a good idea. I'd agree with those who eat lightly that day (exactly so your body doesn't go into starvation mode) and if I really pigged out I'd moderate my eating for the next day or so. Oh...and a little exercise wouldn't hurt! :cool: (Shame on me! I said the e-word!)

I usually would be having that BIG meal at lunch but still need to have my medications with food for brekky so I would have something small and light but substantial enough that my tablets are happy! The other meal of the day would probably be something like a cup-a-soup with a slice of bread, or just some fruit.

I'm making a big turkey dinner Sunday for Dh's late b-day dinner and I know I'll just be snacking during the day like cheese and crackers or such. I like to keep it light so I can enjoy as much of the big meal as possible without going overboard and feeling stuffed.

Barb

I'm with the camp of folk who believe I do better if I eat just slightly less than normal throughout the day. Luckily, in this country, doggie bags are quite acceptable. So I never feel bad if I over-order and eat it for lunch or dinner the next day. When I was younger I used to not eat in anticipation, but found that I wasn't enjoying the meal as much as if I ate a slightly smaller portion all day. One thing that is becoming a difficulty as I get older (I'm 53) is that I don't really enjoy an appetizer AND a meal. Seriously, if someone orders a bloomin' onion or something similarly hearty, I'm through with supper or I have to have two bites or supper isn't worth bothering with.

;) It's like starving all day for Thanksgiving it does not work you need to eat something during the day.If I am anticipating a great meal I cut back if I'm cooking a great meal forget it it when it's ready I do not want it at all . But the next day I will eat it for lunch and be quite happy. If someone else is cooking a great meal I will eat with gusto it's something about someone else cooking a good meal makes me more likely to want to eat than if I made it.

Back
Top Bottom