Special Monday Dinner 1-16-17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We're trying a new Italian restaurant. Good sign, no pizza! They offer piadina, topped foccatia and topped ciabatta instead.

Told us 20 minutes. We show up and the POS tells us he tried to call back about not having cheese. Nothing on Karen's phone. They made nothing!:mad:
Their review page is about to get hit hard! Karen is now making the Primavera originally planned, losing at least an hour!:mad:

Yelp! How can there be no cheese!

I's making pan fried poke chops with a drizzle of something, apricot preserves?, splash of something and some grated ginger for a sauce. I should make some rice to go with, but really, not all that hungry yet, so maybe just some string beans alongside.

Jonesing for clam strips. Where's Howard Johnson's when you need them? Dang, those were good.

Jeebus, Craig. That would peeve me off too!

Beer cheese soup here.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your dinner plans were thwarted, Craig. No cheese in an Italian restaurant? Nuts! That's like DQ not having ice cream! :wacko:

We had stroganoff. I have been wanting to make it for ages. TB has been testing out dairy food with quite a bit of success so I was able to use sour cream! Totally made from scratch using sirloin steak, fresh mushrooms and herbs, and no mushroom soup! :chef:

We had Caesar salad with it. I know it isn't quite right but it's easier to chew with the creamy dressing. The one side still hurts from the extraction Thursday and the other side only has half molars touching together to chew!

Roast Beef with morel mushroom sauce. The smashed potato looking stuff is actually a diet-friendly concoction made from whipped cauliflower, sauerkraut, and cheese, baked in the oven. Sounds weird, but it's delicious!

img_1495924_0_a3538b79b0db670cc6f85b641b6584c6.jpg

Well, I was really looking forward to night off from cooking and dishes to clean, but this made up for it even though I had to chop and cook everything myself.

37240-albums1041-picture6831.jpg

Carrots obviously, green peas, onion, asparagus, mushies, yellow and green squash, and prosciutto with a cream/parm sauce over angel hair.

I have ribs in the crock pot slathered with BBQ sauce. Those should be done (as in meat-drops-off-the-bone done) in a couple hours. I can't think of anything else to eat with them, though. Maybe I can make biscuits. I think I have just enough Bisquick left to make half a dozen butter garlic biscuits.

Went over to daughter's for dinner, as it's much easier there so grandtoddler can get to bed on schedule. SIL is traveling, so I offered to make dinner in her new Instant Pot. Made bone-in chicken breasts in marinara, served over angel hair, steamed broc on the side. I'm pretty impressed with the IP. Heated up faster than I anticipated, and the fact that you don't have to mind it to maintain pressure is a real convenience. Significantly less capacity than my stovetop Fagor, though.

Some Mondays we have beef in the meat case that didn't sell over the weekend. It can get dark looking, but is still great. So....we bring it home and make something with it...tonight I brought home some tenderloin and made a beef and broccoli with it...served it on a bed of crispy fried noodles and then we had some chicken-veggie dumplings with a peanut sauce that gf made...it wasn't authentic, but it was tasty none the less...

Everyone's meals sound divine!
And so stories to go along with some too, wow.
We too had burgers
56875-albums1045-picture6833.jpg

Made `em on my new gas grill, Swiss Cheese for DH and Cheddar for me.
It was a build-your-own bar with lettuce, onion, tomato, bacon leftover from breakfast, pickles and the assorted condiments.
I made up some Fries (I like to dip mine in Mayo)
and a Coke for DH and a beer for me.
Very tasty indeed.

My 8th grade cooking buddy and I went wild in the kitchen when he got home from school. We made a vegetarian dish inspired by the chicken and squash dish I made a few weeks ago at my parents' house. We added apples, celery, leeks, and carrots, substituted chick peas for the chicken, homemade veg stock for the chicken stock, added some additional spices. Served with brown rice (toasted before cooking) to which we added cilantro and lemon juice and zest. Kale chips, roasted squash seeds, and a bit of yogurt dressed the dish. For dessert, my cooking buddy made a devine berry-coconut milk sorbet. Lots of fun playing in the kitchen. It was quite a nice meal for his parents to enjoy after a long day at work. We are going be cooking together all week while I'm here and Mom and Dad are going to get a date night on Saturday.

I bet it feels wonderful to return to your old life, CW. Have lots of fun while you're back home even though you need to tie up unfinished business.

I have chicken breasts. I have a pork tenderloin. I had plans and options. I just didn't have energy, or the focus to decide something! While dithering about what to make, Himself suggested pizza. Hmm, some pizza places by us take Monday as a day off; those open aren't really options. Instead, Himself went on a mission to hunt and gather Chinese food. I had a bowl of wonton soup, an egg roll, and some chicken-and-broccoli. He had what amounted to a Pu-Pu platter with fried rice. :blink: What, no veggies? :ermm:

I now have roughly 20 hours to decide if I want chicken or pork for dinner tomorrow. :LOL:

We babysat our sick little Cheyenne all day and we were whooped when we got home.
I nuke defrosted a 1lb. Dolly breast, butterflied it and then cut into four pieces. A quick pan fry with a couple of salads made for a passable quick meal.

I bet it feels wonderful to return to your old life, CW. Have lots of fun while you're back home even though you need to tie up unfinished business.
Thanks. I am finally seeing a flickering light at the end of the tunnel re: my brother's estate. I am at stage 3 of 4. Just have to get my Dad to decide what he wants me to do with the assets and file papers with the court and tax people.

i have known this family for over 15 years--before the boys were born. I have watched them grow up, have been involved in their lives, and love them to the moon and back.

When I was out walking my emotional support dog this morning, I realized that one of the reasons I love them so is that they radiate positive energy, love, and don't sweat the small stuff. The kids are so well-mannered and fun. That is a reflection on how grounded their parents are. I am actually sleeping very well and will go home rejuvenated this time instead of more exhausted than when I came. I made the right choice asking if I could park my head on their futon (the parents gave me their room--that bed is so frigging comfortable! I don't know how they ever get up in the morning). Lucky me to have this family in my life. I need them so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom