Specific Food you like but everyone else at home hates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kitchenelf said:
GB - what about cooked rolls? Eel, tempura shrimp, cucumber roll, asparagus roll, etc.
We have tried that. Raw fish is a mental thing with her, but she tries it every once in a while. I got some avocado rolls last time though and had her try. She did not like the nori, but what she really did not like most was the vinegared rice.

My tastes are fairly catholic, just leave bananas and boiled eggs off the menu. Blech, blech, a thousand times blech.

Why those two items affect me so viscerally I have no idea, but they do.

Have choked them down at folks' homes who served them, thinking they were just dandy. And so I 'et em and tried to force a glimmer of a smile having done so.

If there is a **** I am convinced they serve only those two items.

Instead of spending eternity very skinny and hungry, I try to be good.

To get to the point, the taboo foods about here are mostly seafoods, which I crave.

Fish, don't care about the species, raw, fried, baked, prepare them any way, I love them. Shellfish, raw, sublime. Cooked, you bet. Bring the stuff on.

If there is a heaven it will serve seafood, prepared every way I like it, 24/7.

If I get there I will become fat, very fat.

But no one about here likes those foods very much. Sigh and double phooey (I hope that exclamation does not condemn me to the boiled egg and banana place, shudder).

So I will try to be good and get some seafood into me whenever I get the chance.

Last edited:
And actually, in addition to not eating red meat or onion family items, husband also won't touch shad roe, bluefish, or mackerel - all of which I love & buy & cook for myself when they're available.

In fact, shad roe season is almost upon us!! Yum!!

mudbug said:
the two other people who live in this house are barking mad.

they don't like bread pudding.

tell them to calm down and that I will take care of their portions...

It has always been my oddity in the eyes of others, even here in Italy... I love the burnt on cheese at the edge of pizzas, casserole, lasagne etc.:rolleyes:

I thought everyone loved the burnt-on cheese! Just goes to show that there are some mad folks around - not us of course, them!

I am a huge fan of seafood, and sushi. Sadly my husband appears to be allergic to any shell fish, and will not try sushi. However, I do make seafood for myself and make a curry for him, which I cannot stomach, so we both get the best of both worlds. As for sushi though, thats something I just buy for lunch to snack on.

My SO doesn't care for liver or kidneys but does do pate. I happen to love steak and kidney pie and make a fine one. My sis can't stand bell peppers of any color, but I don't cook for her much. I drink buttermilk alone. Butwho am I to talk? I don't care for cooked fruit or pies...thick sugary syrupy...nope. Like the fruit fresh. (So I never bake apple pies for anyone, ever!)

i love liver, dw gets sick at the site of it, nevermind coomking or eating it. duck grosses her out as well, mostly from the smell of fat. same goes for any "gamey" meat, even some lamb.

about the only thing that dw eats that i dislike is cottage cheese mixed into hot pasta. yuk.

The only thing that comes to mind that I'll eat, but no one else, is Cajun BBQ'ed Shrimp. The recipe I have calls for head-on shrimp. I like that nugget of shrimp fat that's in the head. PeppA gets squeamish about it. Same with crawfish.

PeppA and the kids love Liver and Onions. I detest liver. As far as I'm concerned, liver serves three purposes in life:

1) Storage of fat-soluable vitamins and minerals.
2) Filteration and procesing of various toxins, such as alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine, from the bloodstream.
3) Catfish bait.

Whenever PeppA cooks liver for the kids, I dissappear for the night.

here`s one and it drives my mates Crazy!

I like my beer warm, at least room temp, everyone else thinks I`m nuts, in fact if they try it it makes them sick or get stomach upset?
I`ll even put my beer on a heater or give it to my wife to warm up for me before I can drink it.
I simply cannot drink it cold, even in the summer!

I have No explaination for this either, only that it started over 10 years ago, when I had some Serious dental issues and Anything cold was insanely painfull (even talking in a cold room), but such was my thirst for beer I tried a warm one and was just fine :)

I like salt preserved lemons too, esp mashed up and shoved underneath chicken skin before roasting in the oven, the wife can`t stand it, and my daughters never tried since I dont make it anymore :(

Sushi, I have to go eat it by myself.

Any kind of cheese, all mine!!!

Barb L.... fish tacos are wonderful!!!!! I had some at On the Border (popular mexican resturaunt here in these parts), they were not too bad!

I could live on okra but my family would starve to death. They could live on mac & cheese and I would starve to death.

Back
Top Bottom