Spin off on Bogus Food........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Have you ever taken bogus food and expanded on it to make it more tasty or unique????

For instance, I like the biscuit style cinnamon roles, but when I fix them, I mix up a batch of buttery cinnamon sauce to drown them in. Or mac and cheese.... chop up some spam or some pan fried franks and mix in with it.

Curious to know what spins you guys have taken on the "bogus food" category.

Vera Blue, if I am steppin on toes, you need to let me know! But your thread got me to thinking about this and how much I add or gussy up bogus food!!!!

My boys used to love the blue box Mac & Cheese but to make it a bit healthier and a full dinner, I'd add fresh green beans to the macaroni while that was boiling. Then I'd add a diced ham steak to the mix after it was drained.

Dinner doesn't get easier than that.

bogus pastry cream

I have the ability to create wonderful pastry cream. I simmer and stir, adding ingredients with love and affection....but I rarely do it because I have an easire way, using instant vanilla pudding.

I decrease the milk on the instant pudding box by 1/3. In a seperate bowl I whip heavy cream till it's stiff. While I'm doing that the instant pudding is setting. Then I blend the two ever so gently...and use it to fill cream puffs that I made from scratch, right down to changing the oven temperature three times during the cooking.

Yea, pastry cream with Bill Cosby's endorsement, hahaha

I add mushrooms and ham to the noodles that come in the bluebox.
My son likes it when I add a can of drained diced tomatoes too.

Hamburger helper... I add lots of spices, extra noodles, mushrooms and
diced onions.

tomato soup from a can gets fresh diced tomatoes or cheddar cheese.

I use the pillsbury cinnamon rolls as a topping on my peach cobbler. (There's a recipe floating around here somewhere)

Haven't tried it, but I'm told buttermilk biscuits in the can work as great dumplings over stew or chicken and vegetables.

exactly150 said:
Haven't tried it, but I'm told buttermilk biscuits in the can work as great dumplings over stew or chicken and vegetables.

They sure do exactly! Just flatten them out, cut into strips, & drop into simmering chicken stew for chicken & dumplin's.

I have used the instant mashed potatoes for fried potato patties. I add chives, cheese, & sometimes ham to them. I also keep a bag of salad shrimp & a bag of stir fry vegies in the freezer & throw them into the pot when making raman noodles.

I gave birth to two boys (12 months apart). One would only eat instant mashed potatos and the other would only eat 'real' mashed potatos.:huh:

Why are children so weird?

it's in the gene pool..... ;)

I dip butterflake rolls in a mixture of melted butter with garlic, parsley, chives, basil & oregano, stack them in a bundt pan, bake 'em up and call it Monkey Bread - oh my, haven't made this forever!!

When I lived in Texas and with two flatmates, one of them Ken was very fond of ramen noodles and always kept a cupboard full of them and ate them almost every day.

It was rather a horrid sight for me to behold, so one day I took a couple of package, cooked the noodle and then rinsed them twice, one time with hot water to remove the slimy grease, then cold water to chill, drained very well, tossed them with shredded cucumber, spring onion and ham, with a improvised dressing made with diluted teriyaki sauce, sesame oil, toasted sesame seed and a dash of garlic powder. (I ignored the soup packet that came with the noodle)

Ken was so impressed with this concoction, that was the start of my cooking dinners for all 3 of us on my days off from work regularly. (I finished work at midnight so they had to settle for just having a treat when I was off:cool: )

I cook this in a 13x9 pan because the biscuits were kind of gooey in the center, with the 8x8. I also put whatever veggies I want in it....but the original is great. From DWLZ.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I like cooking top raman to al dante style, then draining the water than adding the seasoning. It makes a very tasty pasta. I got the shrimp flavored kind onces and added real shrimp.

I must have edited this 20 times. It just wasn't copying and pasting correctly.

It's the MONK in me.:rolleyes:

Another one I use: if my homemade soup/stew isn't thick enough, I add a bit of instant mashed potatoes as a thickener. Works like a charm!
cjs: I love monkey bread! I do the same thing, only make it sweet with cinnamon, butter and brown sugar. I'll have to try yours - sounds great!

cjs said:
it's in the gene pool..... ;)

I dip butterflake rolls in a mixture of melted butter with garlic, parsley, chives, basil & oregano, stack them in a bundt pan, bake 'em up and call it Monkey Bread - oh my, haven't made this forever!!

Wow, that sounds good!

Actually, there are many ideas floating around here that sound really good!!! May have to keep more bogus food stocked in the home!!! He he!! Keep em comin!

Did anyone here NOT grow up enjoying "Pigs in a Blanket" made with tiny appetizer-size franks wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent rolls? :)

Breezy, I still make those! My kids & hubby love them.

Something else I just thought of, I take canned biscuits, cut a hole in the center & deep fry them, coat then with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar for quick donuts.

Back
Top Bottom