Stormy Monday Blues Dinner 12/16/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Tonight's Halibut Filet, Diced & Buttered Butternut Squash, Peas & Rice and the ever-present side Salad....

Halibut Filet, Buternut Dice.jpg

I intended to cook something with chicken, maybe a roast, but I just never had enough spoons. We ordered from Luna Pizzeria, a local Greek place. DH had a Luna special pizza and I had a "two stick souvlaki platter". Delicious.

Here's a pic of the dim sum dinner- with my home-made sticky rice.

I love Chinese food, particularly dim sum with various dumplings.

Have made most of them from scratch, but this meal was store-bought, except for the sticky rice - great stuff- I'll make it again.

Attachments

• IMG_9154 DIM SUM.jpg
    IMG_9154 DIM SUM.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 103
Tonight I went to visit my sister for dinner. I made a nostalgia dish from our childhood. she was thrilled. She had been hoping I would make it.

It's a dish from our Armenian roots called 'herrseh'. It's a basic poor person's dish that stretched a little food to make a number of meals. A stock made with a fowl is then used to stew hulled wheat. The resulting thick "porridge" is dressed with brown butter.

Hats off to my parents for managing to make us clamor for our mom to make gruel for supper. We still love it.

Tonight I went to visit my sister for dinner. I made a nostalgia dish from our childhood. she was thrilled. She had been hoping I would make it.

It's a dish from our Armenian roots called 'herrseh'. It's a basic poor person's dish that stretched a little food to make a number of meals. A stock made with a fowl is then used to stew hulled wheat. The resulting thick "porridge" is dressed with brown butter.

Hats off to my parents for managing to make us clamor for our mom to make gruel for supper. We still love it.

What a lovely post. I got misty eyed, especially that last paragraph.

We had some leftovers at home, but not really enough for the two of us. Well, I was out Christmas gift shopping for Loverly's "nuggets" (her SO's three kids, girls 13 and 5, and a 6 year old boy), was completely drained from trying to figure out all these new trendy toys and stuff, and caved in to the slumming fast-food monster inside. I brought home a doggy bag from Wendy's that had two Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers inside. They weren't bad - for a once-in-every-three-years kinda thing. :LOL:

...Hats off to my parents for managing to make us clamor for our mom to make gruel for supper. We still love it.
tumblr_o24vra2s181sttn8ro1_400.jpg

Sometimes those edible culinary memories are just what the soul needs. :heart:

Freezing rain turned to snow so we stayed hunkered down in the apartment..

Turned to my IP for boneless beef ribs, topped with Sweet Baby Rays and finished off under the broiler.. Rice Pilaf and tomato slices were sides..

Cookies and milk for dessert..

Ross

Attachments

• IP Beef Ribs.jpg
    IP Beef Ribs.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 89
We had some leftovers at home, but not really enough for the two of us. Well, I was out Christmas gift shopping for Loverly's "nuggets" (her SO's three kids, girls 13 and 5, and a 6 year old boy), was completely drained from trying to figure out all these new trendy toys and stuff, and caved in to the slumming fast-food monster inside. I brought home a doggy bag from Wendy's that had two Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers inside. They weren't bad - for a once-in-every-three-years kinda thing. [emoji38]
Did you find gifts for the kids? Years ago, we visited my sister and her then-husband at Christmas time and I brought gifts for her two stepsons who I didn't know well. Bookstores have some pretty amazing gifts - both books and activity things. I've also shopped for activity gifts at the children's museum gift shop here.

Costco loin lamb chops seasoned with HdP/garlic/S&P, pan fried to med. rare. We must have Coleman's Mint Sauce with lamb, and nothing else will do. There's just nothing like it and it's worth the hunt to find it. Steamed broccoli and shells in white cheddar sauce finished the meal.

Attachments

• PC160035.jpg
    PC160035.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 85
Those are some tasty looking meals there, guys!

Did you find gifts for the kids?...
Yes, thank goodness! Legos and a Mutant Ninja Turtle articulated figurine for the boy, a Calico Critter family of dolls and a unicorn pig plushy - Himself calls it a uniCorned Ham :LOL: - for the little one. I then went to Michael's to get artist supplies for the teenager. She'll be getting an 18-tube collection of acrylic paints, a tie-dye kit plus a shirt to dye, and a couple 4-color blocks of polymer clay. I also picked up a NatGeo science kit for "the boy", one that says there are two real geodes to crack open. For the little girl, I got a junior version of a Spirograph. I loved that as a kid, our kids loved it when they were young, so I'm figuring that it will be a winner.

Cooking a full, multi-course meal is so much easier than gift shopping for kids. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom