Suggest a meat to go with some vege's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Yesterday I sauteed some slivers of various colors of bell peppers and onion in a little olive oil and dab of butter and some salt ,pepper, herbs de provence and maybe some creole seasoning.
Then I added some sliced okra, and let it cook until the peppers and onion were translucent and the okra was cooked through and the any slimeyness was cooked out.
I would have added mushroom, maybe sliced portebello if I had had them.
This is my question. I want to add some kind of meat to this, to give it some flavor and really I would love if it gave a little crunch. I am thinking about bacon or some other kind of italian meat, but I am thinking it would add to much fat.
I dont want beef, I dont like chicken, and I dont think lamb is the answer. I also dont do most varieties of pork.
I guess a white fish would be an option when it comes to flavor, but I dont think it would give some crunch.
Any thoughts?

You could add slices of spicy sausage which would go very well with the mixed peppers and onions but less so with the mushrooms and okra.

I second AuntDot's suggestion of shrimp, with a following suggestion of some type of sausage. Other than that, you don't really offer many possible options.

While "white fish" would technically work, you say you want "crunch". The only way you're going to get "crunch" from any variety of white fish will be to coat & fry it separately, then stir it in with the vegetables. Even then, chances are you won't get much "crunch".

I dont really do seafood, so I am leaning towards the bacon or the Minced Chorizo or andouille sausage. Actually it think DW did something like this with the sausage and w/o the okra. But I love okra and I have been eating boiled egg custard and cake all week. I needed some Vege's :)

Another vote for sausage. Andouille is my first choice - chorizo next - even kielbasa would work. However, that being said, saute some shrimp with "whatever" and red pepper flakes and toss it in.

edited to change ground red pepper to pepper flakes

Last edited:
vilasman said:
Yesterday I sauteed some slivers of various colors of bell peppers and onion in a little olive oil and dab of butter and some salt ,pepper, herbs de provence and maybe some creole seasoning.
Then I added some sliced okra, and let it cook until the peppers and onion were translucent and the okra was cooked through and the any slimeyness was cooked out.
I would have added mushroom, maybe sliced portebello if I had had them.
This is my question. I want to add some kind of meat to this, to give it some flavor and really I would love if it gave a little crunch. I am thinking about bacon or some other kind of italian meat, but I am thinking it would add to much fat.
I dont want beef, I dont like chicken, and I dont think lamb is the answer. I also dont do most varieties of pork.
I guess a white fish would be an option when it comes to flavor, but I dont think it would give some crunch.
Any thoughts?
First thing I thought of when I read your description was SHRIMP! just don't cook them very long, or they'll be rubbery. :)

Vilasman:

You've excluded bacon, sausage, Italian meat, seafood, beef, pork, lamb and chicken from consideration for one reason or another. :ohmy:

How about some nuts, they're crunchy.

You want crunch?
Forget the meat - add some sliced celery and zucchini at the last minute; serve on a bed of oven-roasted, sesame-crusted potatoes.

Who needs meat?:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

How about calamari? Scallops? Perhaps some fresh clams or mussles?
Serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.

Could be really good with rice. You might want to add a can of diced tomatoes. Tomatoes always go well with okra and peppers.

Kielbasa or Polish Sausage would go great with this combination. Slice it into 1/4 slices and fry in a skillet until nicely charred then add to the dish. You could also try the turkey version since you don't like beef, chicken, or pork.

Back
Top Bottom