Summer food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biev

Senior Cook
What do you like to eat when it's really hot outside? Key West is getting suffocating and I haven't felt like cooking anything at all!

Cold shrimp cocktail
Pita bread with yogourt tzaziki
Big, crunchy, fresh salads (spinach, waldorf, cold seafood, cucumber, etc.)
Fruits of all sorts
Sandwiches (all kinds)

I basically like things that dont require much prep or cooking and that are cold and fresh tasting. Dont forget the giant glass of ice cold perrier w/ lemon!

Grumblebee these are great ideas! Refreshing and easy to prepare is what I need. All I've been doing lately is snack :pig:, I need to at least eat real food!

We will definitely be grilling every night TJ is home - we ran out of propane last time, you should have seen his tantrum :-p It's just harder to find things to cook for myself when he's working, it's already not fun to cook just for one but the heat makes me not want to move at all.

Salads. Lots of salads. Since I'm insomniac, I often will cook rice, potatoes, or pasta for the starch based salads in the wee hours, then add dressings and veggies during the day. I use the microwave to get something 3/4 cooked (like potatoes), then finish on the grill, oven, stove if I'm going to cook at all ... that way you spend a fraction of the time over the heat. When we fire up the grill, I cook extra meat and veggies for use in future meals. I use the convenience of deli roasted chickens and other products as short cuts more often in the heat of the summer.

Definitely cold boiled or steamed shrimp served with lots of spicy cocktail sauce. I either cook them myself earlier in the day or have the market steam them for me, then chill them till dinnertime. Then I just set out the big bowl of shrimp, everyone gets a bowl of cocktail sauce, & some lemon wedges, & there's another big bowl available for the shells.

I also like marinated chicken &/or turkey burgers done outside on the grill.

Softshell crabs are available around here pretty much thru the entire summer, so I love sauteeing them quickly & serving with a salad & some sheostring potatoes.

And yes, salads are also a favorite - crab & shrimp in particular.

Sushi too - along with an ice cold beer.

Can you tell I love seafood???

Good idea! I need to learn to cook more with seafood. It's inexcusable to live on an island and not use its resources! Of course I have an excuse since I'm from the great white north :)

I'm not too big on ruffage. But I try to make an effort. I guess I might have a salad for lunch. I have some cocktail shrimp as well. I might just toss some in :)

It is way hot over here in too. I just dreaded getting in my car to drive home for lunch. I just had a cold sandwich with deli meat. Dinner is also going to be tough since my apartment heats up really quick. No oven tonight.

One more "summer food" I like to have around is a nice big bowl of macaroni salad - complete with green peas, red bell pepper, sweet onion, & cubes of cheddar. What's nice is that not only can it be served as a side dish to nearly any summer food, but it also makes a nice snack or even a lunch unto itself if a can or 2 of tuna is added to the leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom