Summer Solstice Dinner - 6/21/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
I love all this daylight (at least for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere)!

Dinner tonight will be grilled chicken thighs in a soy balsamic marinade, wild rice blend with bacon and mushrooms, roasted brussel sprouts.

Sunbaked sole, sunchokes, sunflower seeds, sundaes.....ur not.:LOL:

Zucchini with onions, sauteed. Whole grain toast with tomatoes and guacamole. Dried apricots.

Probably some wings on the grill. That soy-balsamic marinade idea sounds good. Maybe I'll whip some up.

CD

We have spring leftovers. :LOL: Our grill is still out of commission. We don't want to buy a new one, so Himself is still working on Old Faithful.

Our "choix les restes"* is chicken with mushrooms, beef patty smothered in caramelized onions, or Italian sausage, peppers, and onions with creamy grits.

* Doesn't that sound fancier than "choice of leftovers"? :mrgreen:

We've been on the go all day. First SO had a medical appointment for her knee, then we went to do grocery shopping. We also stopped at Costco to pick up coffee. We had missed lunch so were hungry. On the way out I bought us a couple of chicken bakes and we ate them when we got home and put the groceries away. Lunch was about 4:15 PM. Then we were off to Steven's 5th grade graduation. He's off to middle school in the Fall. Just got home and aren't hungry yet. Probably have some leftovers later.

Wings on the grill for us, marinated with TJ's Soyaki with a big squirt of go-chu-jang.

Sides will be SC's glorified salads and Rice A Roni "creamy four cheese" flavor that I haven't tried before.

I have my wings marinading in a soy sauce, Balsamic vinegar and EVOO based marinade, with lots of garlic and black pepper. I didn't have a recipe, so I decided... wait for it... to wing it. :D

The marinade tasted good on my finger, I'll let you know how it worked on the wings.

CD

Andy, I hope all is well with SO - and hard to believe the grandson will be in middle school! Time goes by way too fast with those young 'uns.
----------------
This afternoon's dinner was a fresh fruit salad combo...watermelon, mango, and strawberries, and the last of the sliced ham from the freezer.

I stopped at the Asian Buffet in Scottsbluff, BEFORE I went to Wally World...I got out of WW spending only $42. Had to pick up coleslaw makings for the weekend to-do.

Anyway, the meal was fantastic as usual and I had a little bit of most things. I dropped half my sushi roll into my egg drop soup...it was not ruined, quite good actually. My carb count for the day is sky high, but I don't care.:pig:

Last edited:
I gotta' give a shout out to tenspeed. My wings turned out great, and that marinade was just right. The balsamic vinegar was subtle, but definitely added a great flavor to the wings. The soy added just the right amount of salt. I will do this again.

CD

I made some salmon salad last night. Typically, I over-seasoned it, but I used a can of Wild Planet sockeye packed in water, the best canned salmon out there, as far as I’m concerned (although it’s one of the priciest.) it’s distinctive strong taste stood up to the Cajun spices very well, so I’ll probably spread some on a few slices of baguette with some sliced red onion. Don’t know what Mark’ll have. The salad’s too spicy and “fishy” for him. Probably French bread pizza.

I made some salmon salad last night. Typically, I over-seasoned it, but I used a can of Wild Planet sockeye packed in water, the best canned salmon out there, as far as I’m concerned (although it’s one of the priciest.) it’s distinctive strong taste stood up to the Cajun spices very well, so I’ll probably spread some on a few slices of baguette with some sliced red onion. Don’t know what Mark’ll have. The salad’s too spicy and “fishy” for him. Probably French bread pizza.

Canned sockeye salmon is pretty potent. I have a friend who lives in Alaska. She keeps me stocked with the good stuff. I mix it with whipped cream cheese and also use cajun spices. But, I use cajun spices on a lot of things. That salmon can take it. I mix it up and eat it on crackers or bagel chips. Toasted baguette would work well, too, I'm sure. Thinly sliced red onion sounds like a good topping, too.

CD

Last edited:
Have any of you ever sampled Whole Foods’ 365 brand canned salmon in water? I looked up a bunch of comparative taste tests, and it wasn’t mentioned in any of them. Same for their tuna - no mentions!

Canned sockeye salmon is pretty potent. I have a friend who lives in Alaska. She keeps me stocked with the good stuff. I mix it with whipped cream cheese and also use cajun spices. But, I use cajun spices on a lot of things. That salmon can take it. I mix it up and eat it on crackers or bagel chips. Toasted baguette would work well, too, I'm sure. Thinly sliced red onion sounds like a good topping, too.

CD
Mmmmm I like the cream cheese! A bit of dill and it’s a shmear for bagels!

Went to our AAA Springfield Cardinals baseball game so, ballpark fare for us..

I had a bratdog, nachos and popcorn.. Good stuff.. :yum:

Ross

DH was planning to grill last night, but after spending most of the day outside in the heat and humidity (he's teaching a drone-racing summer camp), he was wiped out. So. I sprinkled chicken thighs with Penzeys Greek Seasoning and cooked them in my braiser on the stovetop. I had some leftover Israeli couscous, so I roasted some bell peppers and a leftover bit of zucchini under the broiler, cut them up and added them to the couscous, along with lemon juice, preserved lemon and toasted pine nuts. Also made a Greek-ish salad (had no tomatoes so used roasted peppers) and that was dinner! 0621182025.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom