Sunday 4/16/2017 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Happy Easter ??? to all who observe.

IMG_2138.GIF

My menu is posted in the 2017 Spring Holiday thread.

I will post pictures later.

The stuffed artichokes are in the Instant Pot.

Happy Easter, msmofet! Thanks to you, I have three jars of lemon curd in the Instant Pot right now! DH has been asking for lemon meringue pie since Pi Day [emoji38] Assuming he has left enough of the Girl Scout Trefoil shortbread cookies he's been snacking on, those will be the crust. Otherwise, I might have to try making a pie crust from scratch :ohmy: I've never done that before.

Otherwise, not a traditional meal here, either. Pork ribs are on the smoker and we'll have cole slaw and baked beans on the side.

We had left over turkey chili, with toppings and then kladdkaka and mämmi for dessert.

Crazy spring weather. Two weeks ago we had a snowstorm, today it is in the upper 80's!

Chicken tenders in bacon pesto cream sauce, served over spinach linguine, spinach salads on the side.

Everything sounds fantastic!! Wish I had some smoked ribs.

GG, Hope your lemon meringue pie is wonderful. I never made a shortbread crust before. I wasn't sure if I could use this curd for pie filling because it has no cornstarch thickener in it. I have been using it as yogurt topping. Take a picture.

Last edited:
I'm batching it. DH is still funeraling.

Ling Ling potstickers with dipping sauce I cobbled together, and since I can't figure out which freezer my frozen ginger is in, I used dried.

The PC artichokes turned out fantastic in only 15 minutes. It took 10 minutes to come to pressure so 25 minutes from raw stuffed chokes. It usually takes me a long time for chokes the regular way. Stem unstuffed, stuff and steam till tender. Way better with the Instant Pot.

Everything sounds fantastic!! Wish I had some smoked ribs.

GG, Hope your lemon meringue pie is wonderful. I never made a shortbread crust before. I wasn't sure if I could use this curd for pie filling because it has no cornstarch thickener in it. I have been using it as yogurt topping. Take a picture.
Will do! It's in the fridge now. It tastes fantastic! Of course, I licked the mini spatula I used to stir it ;) I was thinking the eggs would be enough to emulsify everything - we'll see [emoji2]

I have a set of mini tart pans I'm planning to use, so hopefully there are enough cookies to fill two of them. I just checked and I have three lady fingers left from the last time I made tiramisu! That should be enough to supplement the Trefoils.

Dinner is up the hill, due to be served around 7:00. We'll head up when Himself slurps the last of his coffe. I know my SIL is making ham. Veggies are unknown, but I wouldn't be surprised if asparagus or broccoli will make an appearance (watch her surprise me :LOL: ).

With younger legs, we would walk the 1000 feet or so up a pretty good grade. Now, with aging back, legs, and feet, we'll drive. I'll use the excuse that we're bringing the deviled eggs, prosciutto-wrapped asparagus, homemade banana nut bread, and white wine and don't want to drop anything.

I found some beef short ribs in the "Manager's Special" section at Kroger, and they looked really good. I've never cooked them before, so today is an adventure.

I found a Mario Batali recipe online, and based my recipe on his. I didn't change much. Mainly, no carrots. I don't like carrots. I used an oatmeal stout for the beer.

Mario Batali's Beer Braised Short Ribs Recipe | The Chew - ABC.com

They are currently braising in a dutch oven in the oven at 275 degrees.

I'll let you know how they turn out. I may even take a picture.

CD

Last edited:
We shared a Norman Van Aken meal. Cornish hen with roasted caramelized pearl onions and Caribbean corn bread stuffing with NVA sauce/jus.

Cornbread, more like corncake it was so moist and light. Red onion, corn, habanero pepper, buttermilk, manchego cheese (though I used parm since I didn't feel like digging in the freezer). I was lucky Craig left enough for me to use for the stuffing. I have a feeling I'll be using this for recipe for cornbread from now on.

Stuffing, red bell, problano, chaurice, the cornbread above plus chicken stock.

Jus/sauce, ancho chili, piquin chili, cumin seed, sherry vinegar, sherry, and chicken broth.

We had extra dressing/stuffing for a side plus asparagus with citrus butter sauce.

Dessert was limoncello, a batch I've had working for a couple of weeks since we had some extra lemons.

ihDP0-d0Flzs8NRYjHln5eh0wzrjk6GXTsjJBd7QOTwpX92IB

I found some beef short ribs in the "Manager's Special" section at Kroger, and they looked really good. I've never cooked them before, so today is an adventure.

I found a Mario Batali recipe online, and based my recipe on his. I didn't change much. Mainly, no carrots. I don't like carrots. I used an oatmeal stout for the beer.

Mario Batali's Beer Braised Short Ribs Recipe | The Chew - ABC.com

They are currently braising in a dutch oven in the oven at 275 degrees.

I'll let you know how they turn out. I may even take a picture.

CD

I can't believe I haven't tried beef short ribs before today. Wow! I will be doing this again.

BTW, the only changes I made to Mario's recipe is no carrots, because I don't like them, no celery, because I didn't have any and didn't want to go to the store for them, and I substituted canned diced tomatoes for tomato sauce.

Here's a picture...

CD

Attachments

• ShortRibs001.jpg
    ShortRibs001.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for the report, CD... I've had a couple of blah rib adventures in the past few months... I will try this recipe...

Photo is excellent... Makes me want the ribs tonight...

Ross

Last edited:
Pork tenderloin kebabs marinated hoisin and five spice powder, rice pilaf, tossed salad. Carrot cake, cookies, brownies, ice cream for dessert.

I had a really late combo breakfast/lunch (pancakes), so I may be making dinner at 10pm tonight. I'm going with three cheese stuffed shells again. I'm using the spicy basil tomato sauce from Classico. That was really good the last time I made it.

We had a pickin' kinda schpread, very nontraditional Easter Feaster as we've deemed it.
010.JPG

Mr&Mrs Dear Friends came over and we had a sorta-kinda pot luck of Vegetarian and Omnivore foods and just shared.

009.JPG
I found this new recipe for what I'm calling and made my way, GF-DF Vegetarian Quiche, the crust is made from Cauliflower...
I added some Sweet Corn to the platter, that was on special at the green grocery

011.JPG
This is Mrs. DF's creation of a Potato-Tomato-Herb something or another, very good!

012.JPG
I saw this recipe on some social media site, and emailed it to Mrs. DF who decided to try it today, YUM! I call it Avo Fries with Sriracha Mayo sauce for dipping, MMM! She used this Rice Panko that I brought back from the Asian Market in Tucson for her.

013.JPG
Mrs. DF's baked Brussel Sprouts with Pecans

014.JPG
Mrs. DF's Roasted Garlic Hummus

015.JPG
I saw, once again on social media, several Beet Salad recipes and sent them with my veggie friend; she wanted to share this one. It's made with Mandarin Oranges, very good.

016.JPG
Mrs DF's Chickpea Salad

017.JPG
FINALLY something else that I made, Wasabi Deviled Eggs, GONE!

018.JPG
DH requested a nod to an Easter Ham, so we made Ham&Cheese sammies
(sshhhhh, don't tell Mrs but Mister DF had one ;))

019.JPG
Also by my DH's request, some Crudites and Salami&Cheese as well as some nice Olives

020.JPG
I planted a gorgeous organic Mint plant a little bit back and it goes so well with fresh Watermelon, very refreshing, and GONE!

021.JPG
What a pretty plate!

022.JPG
For dessert, I made a new recipe for Carrot Cake that I found recently.

PHEW!!! That was some SCHPREAD!
I sent Dear Friend's home with LOADS of leftovers :winkiss: we've got our own share ;)

Beautiful Kgirl. Looking forward to the recipe for the carrot cake.

Here is a picture of my pressure cooker stuffed artichoke. So fast and easy to cook in the IP.

img_1507600_0_a66dbf7529dc1985a8f40b39cfc24ab4.jpg

Sorry no pictures of the main course. Everyone wanted to eat.

I didn't get to the cheesecake last night so I made it today. It will be chilled and topped tomorrow.

Here is a picture of my un-topped pressure cooker cheesecake.
Will update finished cake picture tomorrow. I have never had a pressure cooker cheesecake. Can't wait to try it.

img_1507600_1_35ae77b2327c424463c4e35050df71bc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom