Sunday Breakfast 7/23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
It's 11am here in northern NJ. Lou and I just got back from a local diner. New Jersey is chock full of 24 hour diners.

After a huge dinner last night, surprisingly, I was hungry when I woke up. Rather than cook again, we went to the diner for breakfast.

Lou (who has a miserable toothache and cannot get to a dentist till tomorrow) had pancakes and scrambled eggs.

I had a medium burger with an over easy egg on top, lettuce and tomato, too. Also a plate of fries. The waitress was incredulous when I asked for the egg on the burger. It was delicious.

What did you have?

what diner did you go to vb?

some of my regular visits are to are the park west in totowa(?) and the parkway in elmwood park.
and you can't forget the tick tock, the forum, or the bendix.

btw, the park west was featured on a food tv fluff show, featuring the newly slimmed owner, and his famous salads.

Hackensack

Apparently, it's too early in the morning for me, because for the life of me, I cannot recall the name of the diner on the hill at Essex street, where I've gone all the years of my life. Bendix is an icon, especially when John, the blind waiter serves you. Some places are meant to be frequented at 4am...
I spent more time at the Forum back in the late 70s and early 80's. I'm right near Teterboro airport...close to all good silvery eateries.

near teterboro? then you must get sushi in sakura 46.

i just noticed that the greatest egg and italian sausage sammich shop, bubba's, is now a pizza place. (ok, so it hasn't been great since the old guy left, what was his name, nick?) but still, sad times.

and don't forget to load up on korean delights in han ah reum. the octopus salad there is delicious.

Bubbas!!!

No where could you get a better double egg, sausage and cheese at 3am than at Bubbas! After Nick left the entire place went downhill. It was never the same. The new pizza joint hasn't opened yet, but I'm curious to see what their brick oven pizza tastes like. That area only has 15 pizzerias...not nearly enough.

I've gotten sushi from Sakura but have yet to shop in Han Ah Reum.

what did you think of sakura?

it's one of my regular take outs, which is good for the price, but has slid of late. where do you get your sushi fix?

fuji on 17, or in hillburn new york are no great things. is kiku on rte. 4 still there? or did they move to 17, i've heard. (sorry 'bout the bad grammar, it's joisey-eze). i had my first sushi 20 years ago in kiku.

if you wanna go really cheap but still decent sushi and pretty good japanese/hibachi, go to miyoshi in hackensack. the best broiled squid and beef negimaki appetizers in joisey.

and do yourself a favor and go to han ah rheum. it is a great asian market, mostly korean influenced. the produce is very hit and miss, but if you know what you're doing, your stir frys will rock.
their kimchees are very good, but on the milder side.

and if you like korean bbq, go to so moon nan jip in palisades park, just north of 46 on broad street. the neng myun is awesom, as well as the joo mul look.

i like the paterson farmers market off crook's ave., but again, you can't go there with a list. you buy what looks good, at exceptional prices.

for fish, mira farms and the jersey farmer's market off of 4 in in fair lawn (i think? - maybe saddle brook or elmwood park there, i dunno) are very good.

my last apartment was across the street from the fire dept. in little ferry. i wasn't blown away with the local pizza, so i'd make the trip down 46 to pizzatowne in elmwood park every week or so for good thin crust, not over-cheesed pizza.

close enough

buckytom said:
what did you think of sakura?

it's one of my regular take outs, which is good for the price, but has slid of late. where do you get your sushi fix?

fuji on 17, or in hillburn new york are no great things. is kiku on rte. 4 still there? or did they move to 17, i've heard. (sorry 'bout the bad grammar, it's joisey-eze). i had my first sushi 20 years ago in kiku.

if you wanna go really cheap but still decent sushi and pretty good japanese/hibachi, go to miyoshi in hackensack. the best broiled squid and beef negimaki appetizers in joisey.

and do yourself a favor and go to han ah rheum. it is a great asian market, mostly korean influenced. the produce is very hit and miss, but if you know what you're doing, your stir frys will rock.
their kimchees are very good, but on the milder side.

and if you like korean bbq, go to so moon nan jip in palisades park, just north of 46 on broad street. the neng myun is awesom, as well as the joo mul look.

i like the paterson farmers market off crook's ave., but again, you can't go there with a list. you buy what looks good, at exceptional prices.

for fish, mira farms and the jersey farmer's market off of 4 in in fair lawn (i think? - maybe saddle brook or elmwood park there, i dunno) are very good.

my last apartment was across the street from the fire dept. in little ferry. i wasn't blown away with the local pizza, so i'd make the trip down 46 to pizzatowne in elmwood park every week or so for good thin crust, not over-cheesed pizza.

I've passed my stir fry days, it would seem. I have returned to my italian roots when it comes to cooking, with many side roads out west and down south and the ocassional journey to northeastern cooking. Agreed, Sakura isn't all that good any longer. Hiro in Teaneck was great but I think it closed. There is a great storefront pizza/pasta place in S. Hackensack that doesn't deliver, but it's worth the drive.

I grew up going to the farmer's market in Paterson. I recall the people selling the stuff right off the trucks.

I'm still in Little Ferry....are you close?

Back
Top Bottom