Sunday dinner 10-3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my mise en place ready for tonight's Sunday Pasta Supper
:clap: so excited for this one!

I'm making Tuscan Butter Shrimp for Mom and me
Mussels Marinara for DH
a bowl of pasta for anyone to dip into
and some Italian Bread for mopping your bowl with :LOL:

Like I said, can't wait!
:w00t::w00t2::punk:

News at 11 :chef:

We had a combination of leftovers tonight: Some Costco Rotchick, some pork lo mein, some butternut squash and a couple of crab rangoon.

I made breakfast for supper. While we split a mushroom omelet, I had Swiss cheese on my half while Himself had American. Hash browns and a sweet apple chicken sausage finished filling the plate...and our tummies.

IMG_20211003_201016405.jpg

Tonight I made Mongolian beef and served it with brown rice and a salad. It turned out really well. I will use the non-stick pan next time, like I did the first time. It was harder to deal with my cast iron, flat bottomed wok. I need to find a quick and simple Chinese vegi dish, that we both like, to go with this. The salad was good, but it just seems like there should be a Chinese vegi dish with this. There is a separate piece of beef on the right side of the plate. I cooked it separately because, I wanted to see what this cut of beef is like without any velveting.

Mongolian beef on brown rice, and a salad 1.jpg

I have my mise en place ready for tonight's Sunday Pasta Supper
:clap: so excited for this one!

I'm making Tuscan Butter Shrimp for Mom and me
Mussels Marinara for DH
a bowl of pasta for anyone to dip into
and some Italian Bread for mopping your bowl with :LOL:

Like I said, can't wait!
:w00t::w00t2::punk:

News at 11 :chef:

IMG_0942.jpg

Oh.My.GOSH!

That was so rich, decadent, delicious, filling, FANTASTIC Shrimp!

Neither Mom nor I could finish our 6 16/20 count Shrimps, there's enough for lunch tomorrow for one.

We decided that we didn't want any pasta, and a good thing too, I tell you!
We used our bread to clean up that sauce, which was quite thick by the way.

I used the recipe with the Cream Cheese and I had Half and half, no heavy cream ... I thinned the finished sauce with some Pasta Water, about a 1/2 cup or so, and it still could have used a touch more.

https://www.copymethat.com/r/wVJlz6Urd/tuscan-butter-shrimp-fancy-but-simple/

But I would highly recommend that recipe! I'll be trying Andy's version soon ... Mom was impressed!

I think I'll also try making the sauce by itself and pour it over seared Scallops for Mom and Fish for moi :idea:
I may have used such a little too much Spinach, but at least I know we got our greens with our Shrimpys :LOL:

I made my version of Fiesta Tacos. A modified version of a dish that was served at a restaurant in Santa Monica, maybe still is, but I don't leave there anymore. Anyway, it is a whole meal in a taco dish. Beans, rice, chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, guac and sour cream. Well, guac for DH, sour cream for me. I didn't take a picture of last night's plate, but here's a shot of them from a few weeks back...and last night's were no different.

IMG_5251 (2).jpg

Tonight I made Mongolian beef and served it with brown rice and a salad. It turned out really well. I will use the non-stick pan next time, like I did the first time. It was harder to deal with my cast iron, flat bottomed wok. I need to find a quick and simple Chinese vegi dish, that we both like, to go with this. The salad was good, but it just seems like there should be a Chinese vegi dish with this. There is a separate piece of beef on the right side of the plate. I cooked it separately because, I wanted to see what this cut of beef is like without any velveting.

View attachment 49121
Here are a couple of quick Asian side dishes I make that you and Stirling might like.
- https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/stir-fried-green-beans-with-garlic-oyster-sauce - you can also use asparagus or a green veggie like chard
- https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/easy-chinese-cucumber-salad/ (I use my small cast iron skillet to smash the cucumbers)

Last edited:
Here are a couple of quick Asian side dishes I make that you and Stirling might like.
- https://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/stir-fried-green-beans-with-garlic-oyster-sauce - you can also use asparagus or a green veggie like chard
- https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/easy-chinese-cucumber-salad/ (I use my small cast iron skillet to smash the cucumbers)

Thank you. Those both look good. I have saved both of them. I have tried making Asian style cucumber salad, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as at our favourite Chinese resto. Stirling doesn't really like cucumber. He likes the one at the Chinese resto, but didn't like the one I made. This recipe looks better.

When you make the Asian cucumber salad, do you use all the "fancy", authentic ingredients? Or do you use the recommended substitutes?

Have you tried other recipes from the Omnivore's Cookbook?

Thank you. Those both look good. I have saved both of them. I have tried making Asian style cucumber salad, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as at our favourite Chinese resto. Stirling doesn't really like cucumber. He likes the one at the Chinese resto, but didn't like the one I made. This recipe looks better.

When you make the Asian cucumber salad, do you use all the "fancy", authentic ingredients? Or do you use the recommended substitutes?

Have you tried other recipes from the Omnivore's Cookbook?
I have Chinese black vinegar, but I don't use the chile ingredients; my recipe is from another source, although this is very similar.

Back
Top Bottom