Sunday Dinner 3/8 ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Shrimp & Mussels Marinara, and a Jalapeno Salad...

Salad, Jalapeno.jpg

Shrimp & Mussels Marinara.jpg

We are both a bit under the weather and exhausted. We ordered out. We chose to order from our local Chinese place, because Chinese restos have been losing a lot of business because of people freaking out about Covid-19. We like the food, even though it's only pretty good Chinese food and we like the people who run the resto and felt we should show some support. We enjoyed it and have some tasty leftovers.

Ruebens, a seafood pasta salad for Dad, assortment of pickles (beet, dill, B&B), and Earl Grey tea bread for Dad's dessert.

We had a very late brunch: from-scratch whole wheat waffles, thick cut bacon, and eggs to preference. While Himself had very soft scrambled eggs (ewwww, goopy!), I made mine hard fried with crispy edges on the whites - just like my Mom made for me when I was little. : heart: We'll nibble if we get hungry.
IMG_20200308_203429343.jpg

Shrimp & Mussels Marinara, and a Jalapeno Salad...

View attachment 39593

View attachment 39594
Lovely. I am making my Mom's Crab and Shrimp Marinara tomorrow, but--gasp--she used a jarred sauce. If you made your own sauce, would you please share the recipe? I don't have any jarred marinara sauce--I have everything, I think, to make it, but was just wondering if someone has a TNT to die-for marinara sauce for use with seafood. Thinking of adding some clam juice, horseradish, anchovy paste, lemon juice to homemade "standard, run-of-the-mill" marinara sauce. Mom's birthday would have been this coming Sunday. I am planning meals and treats Mom made when I was young this week--Salisbury steak, crab and shrimp Marinara, her meatloaf recipe, a blueberry pie. I know it will be a hard day for my Dad. As will the 27th which would have been their 66th Wedding Anniversary. I fell to pieces on my birthday. For him, I am trying to honor my Mom this week by cooking things she would cook when they were first married and I when I was a child. Don't tell him--I am sure he will criticize how I cook these things, but I'm trying, honest I am.

Last edited:
Eggos from a box? Batch waffles from a pancake-and-waffle mix? There are easy ways, I suppose. I make waffles and pancakes from scratch like most of us here probably do.

Thanks for the "yummy" compliment. They were.

Last edited:
Eggos from a box? Batch waffles from a pancake-and-waffle mix? There are easy ways, I suppose. I make waffles and pancakes from scratch like most of us here probably do.

Thanks for the "yummy" compliment. They were.
I bet! You can buy waffle and pancake mix in a box? I guess I haven't been down that aisle. I could eat eggs anytime. I wish my Dad would let me do breakfast for supper sometime. I am trying to sneak eggs benedict on him for supper one of these nights...

The other day I went to a local Carniceria or Mexican Butcher's Shop and found something that I have not found since moving to the mainland, that's going on 13 years now …
Flanken Cut Beef Short Ribs

IMG_5554.jpg

I had a package of Noh Brand Kalbi, or Korean-Style Short Rib Marinade, a bunch of Green Onions, put it all to sit in the Icebox for about a day and a half

IMG_5555.jpg

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

Made a fresh pot of White Rice and some of my Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (or Kimchi, however you like)

Throw those Ribs on the Grill and ..

IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg
(DH had a coupla pieces of Sushi leftover from lunch)

IMG_5579.jpg

I'm still smacking my lips over that unctuous, lovely, meal, with a beautiful meat to fat ratio that ain't nothin' like 90% lean nothin!!! The Rice and the spicy Cucumbers are the perfect foil.
I even have enough Kalbi, well everything, leftover for another meal!

I haven't been this excited in awhile, this is quite the find for me... I'll be going back to this nice Butcher from now on for our Beef, we'll see about the Pork ;)

I SV'd a thick rib eye for dinner, seared it as usual, and served the rare slices along with candied carrots and duck fat little spuds with zucchini.

OH MY GOSH...Kgirl..that looks and sound just fabulous. I love our Mexican market just a mile from here.

Last edited:
Pork loin cooked with carrots and onions, mashed potatoes, and sweet peas. Had plenty left or supper last night, and probably for lunch today too.

The Egg is cranking at 250F and I have St. Louis style ribs going. In about 1/2 hour I'll pull them and wrap them with a little apple juice for moisture, then back on for 1-1/2 to 2 more hours. Pics to follow.

Before wrapping.

36788-albums1069-picture8208-jpg.38529

BGE

36788-albums1069-picture8213-jpg.38534

BGE Open

36788-albums1069-picture8212-jpg.38535

Finished

36788-albums1069-picture8214-jpg.38536

Dinner Plate

36788-albums1069-picture8215-jpg.38537

Back
Top Bottom