"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Head Chef

Sunday dinner, 4-19

I'm surprised that I'm the soonest to eat, as late as I got inside! lol

Here's the first recipe I made from that new Milk Street Instant Pot cook book, Fast And Slow. Before I got that book, I think I may have set a record for how long I went before buying a cookbook! I'm glad I got it, as there are many recipes that I have to make in there. Many I have to wait to get some ingredients this summer, like tomatoes. But many I can make now.

The recipe tonight is Black Beans With Bacon and Tequila. It is absolutely delicious, made with bacon, onions, garlic, canned chipotles, cumin, tequila, some chicken broth, and a little lime juice. The dish is garnished with cilantro, and, even though it is not in the recipe, I ate it with a couple of toasted corn tortillas. With the leftovers I may thin it and make a bowl of chilaquiles - in one of his books Bayless has a similar black beans dish, made into chilaquiles, that is fantastic.
Black Bean Tequila soup, opened after pressure cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Items for finishing off the black beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Black Beans with Bacon and Tequila, with some corn tortillas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 04-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We had Tuscan butter chicken.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Neither one of us could motivate ourselves to cook, especially since it looks like we already used the ground beef. So, we reheated the Indian leftovers. I remembered that yogourt can be very useful with Indian food, especially if there are unpleasant bitter flavours. It worked a treat. Pretty good supper with our own brown basmati rice.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:26 AM   #4
Executive Chef

We were to have met with D&SIL at a lake for a picnic..
Rain cancelled that so, we went to the deli counter of the closest market and picked up fried chicken dinners with sides of potatoes w/gravy, mac n cheese and rolls.. It was a delicious meal..

I'd made peach cobbler for the picnic so, that was our dessert while watching Netflix..

Ross
Old 04-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Lasagna with a layer of Morning star ground meat and sautéed mushrooms, a layer of beyond meat sausages and a third layer of some Plant based meatball I found by chance and is actually not that bad. I forgot the name. Home made sauce. No cheese cause most plant based cheese gets a strange consistency when melted. The really need to work on that. A side of salad, and spinach that I got out east at a road side stand.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #6
Sous Chef

we too had lasagna. Our was ATK's eggplant (done in the oven). It is one of my favorite dishes. Just takes a while to make.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #7
Cook

I organized the freezer in which I found several packages of hotdogs and cut up leftover chicken. Hence, a jambalaya of sorts!
HeyItsSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I pulled the final quart of my spaghetti sauce from the freezer and served it up with TJ's pappardelle. We had garden salads, too.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Greek shrimp baked in seasoned tomato sauce, over orzo, with a Greek salad and toasted bread. The bread is spread with a soft Middle Eastern cheese I got at a Mediterranean grocery store. It's nice and creamy and a little salty, like a young feta.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200419_202903.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	40492

Tags
dinner