Sunday Dinner 9/13/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Today is going to be a picking day. Find something to munch on. I might make something to cook. :angel:

I'll quickly grill a kielbasa between the raindrops and make some roasted potatoes and a veggie.

Homemade spaghetti sauce with pasta and maybe a chocolate cake .

Excellent idea.Same here tonight.
I'll make a fresh batch of french bread to go with it.

Hit my stash of Oreo's for later...Movie night.
Need a bump!:LOL:

Haven't a clue. We had a pancake brunch at church today so not really hungry. Will have to check out what's in the freezer that I can whip into something for dinner or maybe just order out.

Well I finally decided on what to make. A BLT quiche. Everything is prepped. Cherry tomatoes, spinach, crumbled bacon grated cheese and beaten eggs. I just have to roll out the crust. But I need to take a pain medication. All that standing did me in. :angel:

Shrimp & Craw fish. Etouffee

img_1436184_0_b30e9a2c355220b88dd30dc3dc47b2cb.jpg

Last night, we had grilled pork chops brushed with a mixture of lemon juice, Dijon mustard, honey, chopped fresh thyme and S&P. Grilled corn and salads for sides.

We get crawfish in the freezer section.

And more often than not they are from China or elsewhere that has questionable farming practices and they are usually mushy, mealy and pretty much flavorless. Even if they appear to be from LA or neighboring states, they are actually fairly often from China, etc. We recently came across a package that had Breaux Bridge featured prominently on the label but they're really from China. Check the fine print part of the label. Just saying.

I was wondering (and hoping actually) that he had found a brand from the U.S. Thus, the question.

And more often than not they are from China or elsewhere that has questionable farming practices and they are usually mushy, mealy and pretty much flavorless. Even if they appear to be from LA or neighboring states, they are actually fairly often from China, etc. We recently came across a package that had Breaux Bridge featured prominently on the label but they're really from China. Check the fine print part of the label. Just saying.

I was wondering (and hoping actually) that he had found a brand from the U.S. Thus, the question.

Since we only use them in low-country boil that we make for the teachers on the retreat DH organizes once a year, I'm not too concerned about it. I was just answering the question.

Since we only use them in low-country boil that we make for the teachers on the retreat DH organizes once a year, I'm not too concerned about it. I was just answering the question.

If it's crawfish season time, and you are buying a lot you should look into having them same-day air delivered. We've done it several times. Yes, the freight is a bit expensive but if you are buying a large quantity, it can often be cheaper than buying frozen (and obviously better) because if it's a good year for crawfish the price/pound will go way down once season gets rolling. We've bought them for as little as $3 a pound. The air freight is the same for 10 pounds up to 100 or 150 pounds (don't remember which is upper limit) and if you are buying a lot it can really save some $.

When I drive up to northern Mississippi to see my dad, I always stop in Slidel, LA, and buy 40-80 pounds on the way home. They all get cooked, we make a meal or 2 of them and then the rest get the heads pulled off and frozen in 2 pound bags. Peeling the shell off that many tails at 1 time is just too hard on the fingers and we found it is perfectly fine to freeze shell-on tails, just not the heads, the fat in the heads will go rancid really quick, even in the deep freezer.

...the rest get the heads pulled off and frozen in 2 pound bags. Peeling the shell off that many tails at 1 time is just too hard on the fingers and we found it is perfectly fine to freeze shell-on tails, just not the heads, the fat in the heads will go rancid really quick, even in the deep freezer.

I'd bet you can make a tasty stock from the heads.

Haven't a clue. We had a pancake brunch at church today so not really hungry. Will have to check out what's in the freezer that I can whip into something for dinner or maybe just order out.

I was visiting a church yesterday and the Suffragan Bishop was visiting; there was a big breakfast before the service with blueberries, pancakes and real maple syrup and too many casseroles. I missed it but had a very good donut. :angel:

Last edited:
Looks really good but where in the world did you get crawfish at this time of year?

I thought this was a quick trip to see what's for dinner thread?

All other questions, comments taking dictations should be taken up in the other appropriate corners.Just sayin':neutral:

I thought this was a quick trip to see what's for dinner thread?

All other questions, comments taking dictations should be taken up in the other appropriate corners.Just sayin':neutral:

Asking where someone got crawfish when they are out of season in LA is a legitimate question. This is the appropriate place to ask.:rolleyes: These dinner threads go off on tangents all the time. Besides, maybe there is a source for mudbugs that we are unaware of and would really like to know.;)

Back
Top Bottom