Sunday dinner, April 10th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I guess I'm the first one up today! Today is my annual halupke day. I thought I'd be doing it on one of the last cold days of the year, but it isn't even cold out now (5:30 a.m.). So it is cabbage rolls, a friend is bringing pierogi, cucumber salad, and for desert, potica.

I'm trying to decide between two new things for us. A take on cabbage rolls using collards, dirty rice and creole sauce or Banh Mi.:chef:

Craig

Going to Charlottesville today to see my son play in a concert at the University so we'll be eating out tonight. Nearly the whole family will be there so we'll decide where to eat when the concert's over.

For supper it's going to be smoked brisket with the flat sliced and the point chopped and made into burnt ends.

A special "treat" this a.m. will be smoked frog legs. We will see what they think of these. Try'n 3 different "rubs" on the legs, smoke'n at about 250.

img_988950_0_2d19dfc8df50ee53f95e403153518e48.jpg

img_988950_1_8bee59685be051357d58c19ebd4472b2.jpg

ANY advise on the frog legs is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Ma's Sunday today. Having the canapes I posted yesterday. pasta with homemade gravy, a green salad with heirloom tomatoes.avocado, thin sliced sweet onion, garlic bread, strawberry shortcake for the adults and ice cream cones for the kids.
kades:)

mmm... frog legs...
I've only sautéed them in butter, with garlic and seasoned flour on them.

powerplantop, just a little off topic but that's a rally good food photo. How'd you do it?

A few things, one before I started to cook I already had the basic plate layout in mind. The tomato and the Peruvian onion sauce give a nice contrast in colour. The flat leave parsley does the same, it was not not in the original plan. Neither was the lime.

Lighting was natural indirect light, my preference.

I cooked the fish in three batches and drained them on paper. I took the best looking ones and set them aside. The ugly one went on the bottom. As I started to put the nice ones on the shape took place. I put them on the plate skin side up to get a fresh look.

Did the final garnish then checked the plate to make sure everything was in it place. Shot the plate from several angles and dif apetrure settings. Loaded the pics into Lightroom and did some basic editing for colour, light ect.

It has taken me about two years (part time) to get to this point. When I get time I plan to do some YT vids showing how to do this. The vids would be for amatures who want to get nice pics.

We will be having porcupine meatballs, mashed potatoes, and peas.

I got smart this last time. I have always cooked them on the stove, and a lot of times they fell apart (I just turned it into meat sauce when they did that). I had a little over 3 pounds of ground beef that I wanted to make into meatballs the other day, so I mixed it all up (meat, uncooked rice, chopped onions, 3 eggs), formed the meatballs (trying to keep them uniform size, but not thinking about how many it would make), and put them on my big cookie sheet. Without even trying I ended up with exactly 40 meatballs, and they fit perfectly on the cookie sheet! I baked them a hair over 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. I put some of them into a skillet with canned tomatoes and parsley and cooked until the tomatoes broke down a little and were heated through. I had never baked my porcupine meatballs before, but that is how I will always do them. I froze the rest of them in meal-sized batches. :)

The plan is:

Herb Pepper BBQ'd Chicken Wings
Orzo with Parmesan Tomatoes and Dill
Steamed Broccoli (the broccoli truck seems to have made a large delivery to my freezer)

We are having odds and sods. There's a little bit of a lot of things in the fridge.

- tortellini with bearnaise
- chicken soup
- ham
- pork tenderloing
- quinoa
- shanghai noodles
- chicken chowmein
- bacon

There is a plate of cut up fruit on the table right now that we will be grazing on til dinner. Hmmm...looks like pigs better not come around my house or they will be eaten! LOL!

Barbara L said:
We will be having porcupine meatballs, mashed potatoes, and peas.

I got smart this last time. I have always cooked them on the stove, and a lot of times they fell apart (I just turned it into meat sauce when they did that). I had a little over 3 pounds of ground beef that I wanted to make into meatballs the other day, so I mixed it all up (meat, uncooked rice, chopped onions, 3 eggs), formed the meatballs (trying to keep them uniform size, but not thinking about how many it would make), and put them on my big cookie sheet. Without even trying I ended up with exactly 40 meatballs, and they fit perfectly on the cookie sheet! I baked them a hair over 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. I put some of them into a skillet with canned tomatoes and parsley and cooked until the tomatoes broke down a little and were heated through. I had never baked my porcupine meatballs before, but that is how I will always do them. I froze the rest of them in meal-sized batches. :)

Love porcupine meatballs Barb. :). Have you ever pressure cooked them? I learned that from my MIL. Turn out great every time, no breakage or crumbling.
Not sure what's for dinner, maybe Chicken and Noodles or chicken soup. But, after reading some of these posts I have a hankering for cabbage rolls and Pierogi!

Back
Top Bottom