Sunday Dinner June 24th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO is out in the garden communing with her green leafy friends while I sit and veg watching the Red Sox.

We will soon meet on the deck for cocktails and some ceviche as we slide into dinner time and the end of the day.

I will be smoking a small chicken with cherry wood chips. A tossed salad will likely compliment the chicken. I have been trying a cople of Weber's new line of BBQ sauces. They are pretty tasty.

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking of taking DH to a local fish & chips restaurant as I am doing a lot more today than I have in two weeks and don't think I will feel like cooking by dinner time.

Scratch the excuse, I just want to eat out! :LOL:

I would be watching the same Red Sox game but they decided not to air it here :mad:. How are they doing Andy?

Last edited:
Sunday dinner will be rib eye steak on the grill. Potato salad and asparagus also cooked on the grill. I hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday and enjoys life to it's fullest. :pig:

After Church today the gang gathered round my southern table for Sunday dinner...There was fried chicken, yellow squash casserole, smashed tators, fried green tomatoes, pink-eye purple hulls, fried Okra..Fresh slices of tomato, Vidalia onion, pods of cayenne pepper, bread & butter pickles, chili sauce...and as if that wasn't enough, the little brown-eyed girl made a fresh peach cobbler...nilla ice cream for those that wanted it.....Coffee.

After Church today the gang gathered round my southern table for Sunday dinner...There was fried chicken, yellow squash casserole, smashed tators, fried green tomatoes, pink-eye purple hulls, fried Okra..Fresh slices of tomato, Vidalia onion, pods of cayenne pepper, bread & butter pickles, chili sauce...and as if that wasn't enough, the little brown-eyed girl made a fresh peach cobbler...nilla ice cream for those that wanted it.....Coffee.
That sounds like quite a feast. :yum:

I have some great arugula and fresh lettuce from my friends garden also. I drive by a Mennonite produce stand every day coming home from work so I picked up some nice green onions, a red pepper and some cherry tomatoes. I am going to make up a green salad and top them with some of those chicken nuggets I am making up. They are sitting in the brine as I type this...

I have a nice bottle of olive oil from a very small producer. It was costly, but I am really enjoying it. Going to make up a vinaigrette with some balsamic.

Last edited:
A little gardening, then a little deck time and we will grill some Copper River Salmon. I have been inspired by all the talk of Hasselback potatoes. So I think they will go nicely with the fish along with grilled asparagus and fresh green beans (maybe I will grill them too. Trying to dream up a quick dessert.....time is running out :( Bon Apetite' everyone!

GotGarlic said:
We're celebrating our anniversary a day late and are going out to Bardo Edibles + Elixirs for dinner tonight. We'll be sitting at the food bar where we can watch the chefs prepare everything. Should be yummy :)

Happy day late anniversary, Got Garlic! Enjoy your dinner! Looks lovely!

We have leftover pizzaburgers, wild rice casserole, greens.

Last edited:
What is a "pink-eye purple hull" ?

And do I really want to know? :ermm:

A variety of "Southern" peas. ~ Their hulls are purple, and their 'eyes' are pink. .....not black.. as in black-eyed peas. Unlike black eyed peas, they are primarily, most always eaten fresh (not dried) Their flavor is very mild...not as 'earthy' as a black-eyed pea. They, and others are staples on Southern tables.....

Roasted chicken seasoned with rosemary and thyme. Hassleback potatoes with a slice of cheese, onion, garlic, and a dot of butter in each of the "slots" wrapped in foil and roasted with the chicken.

They were very good and we had zero leftovers!

Oh my....so many of these dinners posted make me want to go out and buy the ingredients and make them! :yum:

I've been busy working in the yard much of the day, so I'm just keeping it simple and had a steamed artichoke with garlic and lemon butter. Probably will have some fruit and wheat crackers a little later in the evening.

I'm new here, and have looked through a few of the past daily dinner threads to try to get a feel for things, and don't see a whole lot of pictures - so hope I am not going against any rules here by *trying* to post one. lol. It's also kind of a test to see if I've figured out how to include a pic. :LOL:

Please, someone let me know if there is a better place for pics. :)

Happy cooking!
~cj

img_1152820_0_2b094c6887628474870af1411ae1e741.jpg

Cheryl J said:
Oh my....so many of these dinners posted make me want to go out and buy the ingredients and make them! :yum:

I've been busy working in the yard much of the day, so I'm just keeping it simple and had a steamed artichoke with garlic and lemon butter. Probably will have some fruit and wheat crackers a little later in the evening.

I'm new here, and have looked through a few of the past daily dinner threads to try to get a feel for things, and don't see a whole lot of pictures - so hope I am not going against any rules here by *trying* to post one. lol. It's also kind of a test to see if I've figured out how to include a pic. :LOL:

Please, someone let me know if there is a better place for pics. :)

Happy cooking!
~cj

Heavens, no! We love food pics! Please post away!

Had mango daiquiris. Ho hum, not bad, but nothing to write home about.

Too lazy to defrost something, so we just put out cheeses and cold cuts and pickles and breads.

Thanks Uncle Bob. :) Ya learn something new everyday.
Black eyed peas have always seemed mild to me. Now I need to go in search of these new fangled critters that you speak of. Black eyed peas are a New Years tradition for us. And you have to leave one on your plate for good luck in the coming year. ;)

A variety of "Southern" peas. ~ Their hulls are purple, and their 'eyes' are pink. .....not black.. as in black-eyed peas. Unlike black eyed peas, they are primarily, most always eaten fresh (not dried) Their flavor is very mild...not as 'earthy' as a black-eyed pea. They, and others are staples on Southern tables.....

Oh, Uncle Bob, I love purple hull peas. Now you have me wanting some. Thankfully, they're not hard to come by here.

For tonight's meal we had chicken cacciatore, wilted cucumbers, steamed yellow squash with butter and salt, iced tea and homemade blackberry cobbler for dessert.

The green pepper in the chicken dish, the cucumbers and the yellow squash are all results of some of Glenn's son's garden's bounty. The blackberries for the cobbler came from our vines. Yum!

Love this time of the year.

Back
Top Bottom