Sunday Dinner - Mar 23/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I've got a pile of short ribs braising in the oven right now. We'll serve them with tagliatelle and a big salad. I didn't make any dessert so its ice cream if anyone wants something sweet.

I made my version of Shepherds Pie. Or maybe it was Cottage Pie. Anyway, ground beef, condensed tomato soup, onions, garlic, peas, a couple of squinches of Worcestershire topped with mash.

Gammon and parsley sauce, roast potatoes (cheated - they were frozen) and braised red cabbage (also frozen but home-made)

Followed by plain yoghourt and red grapes.

Glass of wine.

I made my version of Shepherds Pie. Or maybe it was Cottage Pie. Anyway, ground beef, condensed tomato soup, onions, garlic, peas, a couple of squinches of Worcestershire topped with mash.
Call it what you like. Some people say cottage is made with beef and shepherd's is made with lamb but it's a fairly recent differentiation.

Last edited:
Roast eye round, steamed fresh baby spinach, baked potato and burgundy pan gravy.

Strawberry shortcake (fresh berries, fresh whipped cream and choice of chocolate or regular sponge cake cups) for dessert.

Yesterday was Mrs. K's birthday, but we didn't celebrate until tonight. I asked where she wanted to go for her birthday dinner and and the response was "Let's stay home and have Italian finger foods". So I made up some antipasto platters with various cured meats, cheeses, olives, bruschetta, roasted veggies and a tortellini salad. We're washing it down with a top-notch bottle of Chianti.

img_1353364_0_cdf02a0897f844f7b2416cdaa4fc0ae9.jpg

Last edited:
Cooked up some Mexican Rice, a can of Rotel and burger. I tried to make just a little, but a little this a little that, some onion, garlic, cumin, more spices and pretty soon... Tomorrow's dinner presents itself before today's dinner is out of the oven. Today it's Stuffed Bell Peppers. I think tomorrow it's chipotle style burritos... with sliced peppers.

I bought some 3 bean salad at the deli and spiffed with some sliced cuke and baby tomatoes for a side dish.

Looks delicious Steve! Hmmm...my birthday is in November....Just sayin'!?
We are having Taco Salad tonight, requested by DH. Easy dinner.

Last edited:
I made a new recipe tonight - balsamic beef stew. It's a basic beef stew finished with balsamic vinegar. I served it with ciabatta rolls and a green salad. Very good!

Yesterday was Mrs. K's birthday, but we didn't celebrate until tonight. I asked where she wanted to go for her birthday dinner and and the response was "Let's stay home and have Italian finger foods". So I made up some antipasto platters with various cured meats, cheeses, olives, bruschetta, roasted veggies and a tortellini salad. We're washing it down with a top-notch bottle of Chianti.

Nice looking meal Steve. I showed Mrs D and she said it reminded her of home. Wish Mrs K a happy birthday.

I came across an ancient (for me) recipe from when I first started cooking and decided to try it again. It wasn't half bad.

We had pork tenderloin medallions with sesame and hoi sin with snow pea pods served over rice.

Turkey tails. Yum! Slow cooker then browned in oven.
Baked potato
Frozen mixed veggies

What a very nice birthday spread for your lovely bride Steve. Now will someone please message me directions to The Husband Store? I'd like to trade in my "Himself" model on the definitely improved "Steve Kroll" model. Thanks!

I thought we'd never run out of leftovers! :ohmy: However, finished up the last of the never-ending crock pot of beans and sausage tonight. We might get hungry a bit later. If so, I'll happily make grilled cheese sandwiches...after Cosmos.

img_1353384_0_cdf02a0897f844f7b2416cdaa4fc0ae9.jpg

Steve, great idea for a special meal. Thanks for prodding my creativity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom