Sunday Dinner November 29th©

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Looking for a non-poultry alternative, I came up with a dish using pork chops.

I pounded two boneless pork chops into cutlets and browned them then sautéed some shallots and crimini mushrooms in olive oil, added some marsala and chicken stock then finished it with heavy cream. Buttered egg noodles and broiled zucchini completed the meal.

137D934E-0BAD-4453-A4B9-AB125566C6A7_1_105_c.jpg

We had sloppy Joes using leftover taco meat. Stirling's was mixed with a tomato based pasta sauce and mine was mixed with a tomato free green salsa. That was really tasty.

Andy, pork IS the other white meat. ;)

We went old school with our turkey leftovers - hot turkey sandwiches, open face style. Veggie was skinny green beans.
IMG_20201129_200240688_HDR.jpg

Friday, a friend brought me a bag of turkey - all the dark meat from his TG turkey, since he and his wife had nobody else this year, and his wife won't touch dark meat! lol Yesterday, when I started to try to pull the meat apart, I realized that it was quite dry, so I waited until early today, and put it all in my Instant Pot, with salted water to cover, and put it on low cook, low, which kept it at about 165° - enough to moisten the turkey, and tenderize the turkey, but not extract too much of the flavor from it. After about 2 hours, I removed all of the turkey from the liquid, strained the broth, removed most of the fat, and had 10 c of broth. Eventually, I got 20 oz of turkey meat for the freezer, and about 10 oz of meat, which I used in the soup. After pulling all of the meat from the bones, I returned all the bones and other scraps to the IP, then covered with 4 c of broth, plus enough water to cover, then put it in pressure cook mode for 1 hr, to extract as much as I could from the scraps. Still cooling now.

While separating the meat, and vacuum sealing it, and before cooking the scraps, I cooked a bean soup, using 6 oz broth, a pound of great northern, 3 c leftover cooked brown rice, and a little red lentils at the end, to thicken it.

I started with a mirepoix of a medium onion, a leek from the garden, a celery stalk, and a carrot, chopped up, and sautéed in ghee for 7 or 8 minutes, then added a tb of garlic and about 3 tb tomato paste, a tb of red miso, a tb each of chopped fresh sage and rosemary, and cooked another minute, then added 6 c broth and 1 lb great northern beans. I adjusted the salt (didn't need much more), added a tsp. of black pepper, 6 whole smoked serrano peppers, then pressure cooked it for 20 min, then released naturally. Then I added 1/4 c red lentils, to thicken it some, about 10 oz turkey meat, and 2 1/2 c leftover brown basmati. Then I put it on sauté, to bring it to a simmer, then switched to slow cook high, and cooked 20 more minutes. Stirred in another 2 tsp of chopped fresh sage, and it was ready to serve. Made almost 4 qts of soup!
Bean soup, with some of the TG turkey. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Even though we still have turkey offerings that we have eaten every lunch and dinner since the day, I fixed grilled ham, cheese and green chile sandwiches with Campbell's tomato soup. It will be back too the leftovers tonight.

Back
Top Bottom