Sunday February 9, 2020 What are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I have my chicken stock cooking (bones, backs, other bits and skin from 2 rotisserie chickens, unpeeled carrots, unpeeled onion, outer tough celery stalks, green leek tops, parsley stems (all washed and roots cleaned) and one large boneless/skinless chicken breast). The house smells wonderful. I can actually smell it! I'll chop veggies later while stock is cooling. Will be served over brown rice topped with Parmigiano Reggiano & Pecorino Romano cheeses.

I'm making a lamb and beef meatloaf seasoned with allspice, cumin and cayenne. We'll have baked potatoes with sour cream and butter and a veggie to be named later.

Instant Pot Dal Makhani

Dal-1-2048x1365.jpg

I'm going to make grilled chicken breast cutlets with a lemon-garlic-rosemary vinaigrette, Greek rice and lemon soup (avgolemono), and Greek salad.

Instant Pot Dal Makhani

Dal-1-2048x1365.jpg

WOW, PPO. That looks nothing like the dal makhani I make. No doubt its delicious.

I use these ingredients:

2 Red Chile Peppers
1” Ginger Piece
2 Garlic
1 C Urad Saboot (whole black beans)
2 Tb Chane Ki Dal (split gram dal)
1 Tb Ghee or oil
1½ tsp Salt
5 C Water
4 Tomatoes (14 oz. Can)
3 Tb Butter
1 Tb Kasoori Mehti (dry fennugreek leaf)
½ tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Ketchup
½ C Milk (if needed)
½ C Cream
¼ tsp Nutmeg

I got the recipe from a cookbook an Indian neighbor gave me, Quick Vegetarian Cooking by Nita Mehta

WOW, PPO. That looks nothing like the dal makhani I make. No doubt its delicious.

I use these ingredients:

2 Red Chile Peppers
1” Ginger Piece
2 Garlic
1 Tb Ghee or oil
1½ tsp Salt
5 C Water
4 Tomatoes (14 oz. Can)
3 Tb Butter
½ tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Ketchup
½ C Milk (if needed)
½ C Cream
¼ tsp Nutmeg

I got the recipe from a cookbook an Indian neighbor gave me, Quick Vegetarian Cooking by Nita Mehta

When I was researching this recipe I was quite surprised in the variation. I found a very wide range in even the beans that were used. Anyway my version is here: https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/instant-pot-dal-makhani-recipe-103970.html#post1616318

The chicken soup was fantastic. Didn't get a picture. Maybe tomorrow.

When I was researching this recipe I was quite surprised in the variation. I found a very wide range in even the beans that were used...

Interesting. I never did any research on the variations. I went by my neighbor's recommendation. I'll have to try yours.

We thoroughly enjoyed our bowls of chicken-barley stew, even though it could have used more barley. So I guess it was more of a chicken-barley stoup.
IMG_20200209_202214371.jpg

I made the frikadeller that I had intended to make yesterday. Served it with potatoes and two kinds of pickled beets - hot and plain. It was delicious.

ONfJsKhVQRTpXf3ZoLM3QUmw3hp0JRNs3TxMbsO46Z7ENJ866uYnTv5YnKgSX2XHyGEVXtvKZZCdK0DLzkn2CGSWn3OR8RJGze7eyZHY2glh9rDAuJTx8W-nddk_GPH8477hO2gjvinDGNzhBjEZtE7l3NWS_US8GMV-J_-3Kijlmm_2JmxZTeDHvzM2a06Y549Y6PCDiu2FGPDdn6p62QEMDKI_LUqGT88EAZ2VFWYugpm6-DTTC4MmQ6YQKWZ6D3o-tzvoOT7nwflSghDja5rDM8sY6HI4fLSpplruj4J-JdPodJmxjvrbYlJ2F32IcavMELdoHDetBjFWYrnxsqNkBUg_Jt7HD38z7ODtzGS4C_WiWhp3n58wqmcybmdFz5hZGQrBftZAvlnx6Xo35mgk5NuaAA_f296nIxQATryLJTSoM8ZOf14V2y4DMzXEOpocW_E4EXAV9IMRvy-2B3n3M6Hlo7uOy2i0l_p4MwjtRKEWfHMdpq6QxHmRGOz0l-1QKnqB-kX9s9HFSRhV-JUBEnKIZ95efYqCPm037XxWeMQd8w8yAQ-RyBkzTaYTr7Opn9S2_fNRI5uEuk9UktdzQszqQfPA4KfkNfoMmXsryg6D8YL5YCH5EZ3G2igqAnqZdoJRCcJR3p6Sb9xHH77x4FxW3k-_ypDYh3rz3USeZ95XQjVo3PRy=w843-h632-no

Thank you all for the beautiful pics! I had a tuna melt on rye, sliced mango, and a deviled egg. Hit the spot.

I use these ingredients:

2 Red Chile Peppers
1” Ginger Piece
2 Garlic
1 Tb Ghee or oil
1½ tsp Salt
5 C Water
4 Tomatoes (14 oz. Can)
3 Tb Butter
½ tsp Garam Masala
2 tsp Ketchup
½ C Milk (if needed)
½ C Cream
¼ tsp Nutmeg

This sounds more like the ones I've made, with the black urad dal, but there are countless versions out there! One of the versions I made was one of those dhangar type, made smoky with a chunk of charcoal or metal, heated to glowing hot, and dropped into a small metal cup, set in the finished dal, with a couple tsp of ghee in it, then covered a few minutes, to smoke the dal. Amazing how simple, and how much flavor it adds!

When we make andouille, we save several pounds as bulk which isn't smoked. One of the things we make with it are burgers that are 50/50 andouille and ground beef. They have to be cooked longer than just beef, so no rare or med-rare burgers.

36788-albums1121-picture8162-jpg.37562

The pink color is from the spices in the andouille.

Boston pork butt roasted in the oven with carrots, potatoes, onions, and green beans in the pan. Mashed potatoes & gravy, and sweet peas. Have plenty of leftovers for the weeks lunches.

I have my chicken stock cooking (bones, backs, other bits and skin from 2 rotisserie chickens, unpeeled carrots, unpeeled onion, outer tough celery stalks, green leek tops, parsley stems (all washed and roots cleaned) and one large boneless/skinless chicken breast). The house smells wonderful. I can actually smell it! I'll chop veggies later while stock is cooling. Will be served over brown rice topped with Parmigiano Reggiano & Pecorino Romano cheeses.

The chicken soup was fantastic. Didn't get a picture. Maybe tomorrow.

Here's the picture.

chicken_soup_030920_IMG_6701.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom