Sunday Funday. What's cookin'? 2/26/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had conch fritters per Craig's recipe, plus cold oil french fries. I was pleasantly surprised with the french fries, very little work after the cutting and some of the crispiest fries I've ever had. I think next time I'll cut them a bit thicker. Pics are on Craig's phone so he'll post them later.

Oscar night for me is what the Super Bowl is to others. I freely admit to loving the gowns and movie hoopla of Hollyweird. I really miss the old days when my movie going girl friends would throw a big party at someone's house to share eats and watch them together. We'll think of each other tonight and meet up for lunch on Tues. to discuss the evening. The seven "Tues lunch bunch ladies" have been meeting for over 40 yrs. and I love them like sisters.
Anyway, dinner here will be in front of the TV. Pork chops and salad will be a quick cook.

Ha! Ha! You could be a real life version of James Patterson's women's murder club. Sounds like fun.

Good lookin' pizza, Joey.

Kay...wow - 40 years of lunching with the lady friends. That's great, and it's amazing that you are all still in the same area to meet up weekly. :wub:

Tacos and a side of refried beans again for this evening's dinner. I still have everything to throw together a quickie meal and love tacos, so why not. Haha. A couple of Coronas with lime to wash it all down. :) This will use up the last of the vacuum sealed flank steak so I'll need to replenish my stash to have on hand.

Watching the Red Carpet now too, and looking forward to the real deal. :)

Nothing interesting here. Baked an ordinary brown/yellow onion for vegetable. Strip the skin, cut the top off leaving a concave cavity and bottom flat. Butter + brown sugar + pepper in the cavity. Baked with "last day" seasoned chix breast, left over steamed rice, buttered. Plain old 'Merican cuisine. Will probably live another day, at least long enough to see what tomorrow night brings.

One nice addition, I tossed several baby bello mushrooms in the oven. They went well as a side to my rice side. It's hard to find a way to make mushrooms that aren't delicious, even raw with dip. Potato chip or thinly sliced mushroom? No big choice there.

I'm currently in survival mode. I doubt I'll have any interesting dinners any time soon. I'm focused on finance, not cooking. Business finance, not personal.

Last edited:
Grilled in its juices chicken breast and BBQ beans without brown sugar. That's new for me. It's tasty and mustardy.

Shoot. Got interrupted, didn't finish and can't edit [emoji38]

We had to move some stuff around in the sunroom freezers to make room for four frames of honey from the beehives (we freeze them overnight before harvesting the honey to kill any nasties), so I took out a couple things for dinner.

I'm using a pound of bulk Italian sausage to make my lasagna sauce and I'm thawing some risotto balls I froze a few weeks ago. So we'll have those, along with fried polenta, salad from the garden and homemade bread. Can't wait :yum:
Turned out good and there's enough lasagna sauce left to make lasagna [emoji38]0226171921a_HDR.jpg

Not a fan of the Oscars (or other award shows, basically) so I spent the time reading the rest of my library book, "Foreign Eclairs". Now I'm waiting till they're over so I can watch the news on that station. ~ Himself isn't feeling well (he's been sleeping in his recliner for hours...), so I did a little grazing through the fridge. Finished the last little bit of braunschweiger on a thin slice of my rye bread, then moved on to the little bit of leftover pulled pork from dining out on Thursday. Finished with a salad of mixed greens and lettuces, black and green olives, and tomatoes. Moving on to a glass of wine soon.

I dug a boneless chuck roast out of the depths of the freezer (I won't tell you how old it is)...
You could always call it "aged" beef. ;)

Good lookin' pizza, Joey.

Kay...wow - 40 years of lunching with the lady friends. That's great, and it's amazing that you are all still in the same area to meet up weekly. :wub:
:)

There used to be more of us when we became young mother friends bowling a Tues. morning league, and going for lunch after. We're all getting old now, and sadly some have passed on. Few have moved as who would want to, living here. We no longer bowl but the friendships continue, and we could indeed write a book about our weekly conversations.

WOW the ending of the Oscars was shocking!!! :ohmy::ermm:

I'm just watching bits of the Oscars on YouTube. Jimmy Kimmel is hosting, and I like his humor. His opening monologue was very good.

As for food, I made a big batch of Pasta salad with Tuna. I had it warm tonight, and can eat it cold for lunch during the week. I used my new Victorinox knife, and I like it. The handle is a bit on the fat side, but I think I'll be accustomed to it pretty quickly. It sliced through bacon and veggies effortlessly.

CD

There used to be more of us when we became young mother friends bowling a Tues. morning league, and going for lunch after. We're all getting old now, and sadly some have passed on. Few have moved as who would want to, living here. We no longer bowl but the friendships continue, and we could indeed write a book about our weekly conversations.

WOW the ending of the Oscars was shocking!!! :ohmy::ermm:

It sure was! I had to rewind a little bit and make sure I saw that right!! :ohmy:
I felt bad for Warren Beatty - he knew from the start something wasn't right.

Last edited:
I was stumped as to what to cook...I had 1 lb of ground beef thawed, some green pepper, artichoke hearts, green olives, onion, tomatoes. Considered lasagne, but didn't feel like making moz. and ricotta cheese, so went with a pizza. Changed the ground beef into sweet Italian sausage, made a sauce, added all the toppings and Italian blend cheese. It turned out perfect. Mom ate two pieces.

So, zucchini lasagna was not meant to be.

We had DQ... after 3 hours in the ER waiting to have my finger patched up. :(

I will let you add in the details which included a mandolin and one of my digits.

I am okay, but will be typing 9 fingered for a few days.

I will let you add in the details which included a mandolin and one of my digits.

I know exactly what you are feeling. I bought a mandolin, and the very first time I used it, I took the tip of one of my fingers off. I wrapped it up for the night, but it was still bleeding in the morning, so I went to the ER. The doctor cauterized the wound, without any novocain. No words can describe the pain. I almost passed out.

I threw the brand new mandolin in the trash. I will never use one again.

CD

Oh, LP! I'm so sorry! Hope you feel better soon [emoji813] Did your mandolin come with a hand guard?

I know exactly what you are feeling. I bought a mandolin, and the very first time I used it, I took the tip of one of my fingers off. I wrapped it up for the night, but it was still bleeding in the morning, so I went to the ER. The doctor cauterized the wound, without any novocain. No words can describe the pain. I almost passed out.

I threw the brand new mandolin in the trash. I will never use one again.

CD
I have one of these, plus my mandolin came with a hand guard. Works great [emoji2]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MXUHHGK/

I've just made a resolution to never take up the mandolin. :LOL:

Not that every kitchen doesn't have tons of more dangerous cooking implements.

Makes me think of the best place to run if somebody breaks in my house. Definitely run for the kitchen, grab a Henckels in each hand! If I have time, go for the cleaver! Hell, I'm scared to death using my cleaver even when the victim is a dead chicken!

A mandolin is a musical instrument, a mandoline is a kitchen tool.
Yeah, that's the ticket.

I've made up my mind to get neither one... Oops... Already have a mandoline. It ain't never bit me yet, but I use the little pusher when I use it. Might make a difference, ya think? ;)

Are they any good at self defense? You know, slice and dice that burglar? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom