Sunday January 26, 2020 What are you eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I made tomato salad and a MONSTER cheeseburger with American cheese, onions fried in the burger drippings, pickle and ketchup on poppy seed Kaiser roll. Hub and I split the burger.

tomato_salad_012620_IMG_6633.jpg

burger_012620_1_IMG_6635.jpg

burger_012620_2_IMG_6638.jpg

I started to make a "homemade hamburger helper" meal. I conked out part way through. I got clumsy and stupid. Stirling took over and finished it. It was delicious. This time, we cooked the elbow macaroni with the meat and sauce. We also had some garlic bread that Stirling had prepped yesterday. (He brought one loaf to a party to heat in the oven and made a second one for us.) It was really tasty.

Soup here, too. Since it's Super Bowl Week, I thought I would go for Souper Bowl Week at our place. Tonight's bowls held beef vegetable soup, inspired by a bag of mixed veggies I dug out of the freezer. Skinny noodles were the finishing touch.
IMG_20200126_201657820.jpg

Strawberry smoothie snack - Thick homemade yogurt (strained till consistency of cream cheese), fresh strawberries, frozen strawberries, splash of whey, splash of half and half and sugar zapped in blender.

strawberry_yogurt_smoothie_012620_IMG_6653.jpg

I had a pint of okra I took out of the freezer, and had a pint of leftover crushed tomatoes, in the fridge, and had a lot of basil I have to start using up! So I decided to make an Italian style porridge, with some re-hydrated eggplant, and some onion, garlic, bell peppers, and salted with anchovies and fish sauce. The fillers are kamut and whole oats, and all this was cooked for 10 min. in the instant pot. Then, I added some toor dal, and cooked for 5 min., released the pressure, and added the okra, and a generous cup of chopped basil, and simmered a few more minutes.
Italian style okra and eggplant porridge. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Skillet dinner this afternoon. Sliced kielbasa, red potatoes, green and red bells, onion, and scrambled eggs.

Craig made Frito pie for us using a new to us recipe for Texan chili using lots of ancho chile powder and cumin. Pretty darn good chili.

I went to the local fishmonger looking for striped bass, but apparently the season just started and the fishermen haven't brought any back yet. So I got Chilean sea bass instead.

It doesn't look like much, but it's loaded with flavor. I used a technique i found in the local newspaper years ago - preheat the oven to 400F,slice two cloves of garlic, and put them in a baking dish. Put the dish in the oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle one side of the fish with seasoning (I used Penzeys Trinidad seasoning - it has lemon, garlic and ginger - and black pepper). Remove the garlic and add the fish to the dish, seasoned side down. Sprinkle the second side with seasoning and put the dish in the oven for 15 minutes.

I served it with risotto made with shrimp stock and green beans simmered with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning.
2020-01-28-10-07-57.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom