Sunday October 9, 2016. Whatcha got cookin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Today's my Dad's 85th b'day, so I we are having LOW walleye, tossed salad, squash from a friend's garden, broccoli. Dessert is German chocolate cake and ice cream.

Sunday October, 9 2016. Whatcha got cookin'?

Happy birthday, CWS's dad! Mmmm walleye.

We just came back from a neighbor's fish fry, he caught all sorts of LOW (Lake of the Woods) fish. We had perch, crappies, all sorts of sides. He was saving the walleye for last, icing on the cake, but I had to feed Beagle, so we left before the walleye. I will probably be back.

Edit: I pottied and fed Beagle, and went back up the road just in time for walleye!

Last edited:
We are going meatless today totally by accident. Had an eggplant that needed attention, so I made Emeril Lagasse recipe that appealed to me. Supposed to be served as a side dish but I think it's good enough to be the star of the meal. I just sampled the finished product and it's really, really good. I chopped the last tomato from our garden and it will join some nice red-leaf lettuce I had on hand for a salad. Have a few other add-ins for the salad if we feel like it.

Some old friends from inland that we haven't seen for a few years came over this afternoon. Had to do a New England seafood dinner. Started off with steamers, then lobster, baked beans, and cole slaw. Apple crisp and frozen yogurt finished it off.

We had leftover OctoberFest Casserole from last weekend, along with ciabatta rolls, buttered and sprinkled with Penzeys Fox Point. I also had a dab of homemade Dijon mustard to schmear on forkfuls of casserole :yum:

Attachments

• 1476074668414.jpg
    1476074668414.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 156
We had chicken breast kabobs with zucchini slices and onion leaves all marinated in Goya and grilled, along with glorified salads.

Watching the Debate while eating gave me indigestion.

I made Linda's pot o' pig and boiled some taters. Stirling made rødkål (Danish red cabbage). It was really, really good.

Attachments

• IMG_20161009_205313.jpg
    IMG_20161009_205313.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20161009_205634.jpg
    IMG_20161009_205634.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 156
We had a great lunch; one of Suzanne Goin's 50-step salads, this one was corn, avocado, squash with watercress. Then we had Linguine with Clam Sauce, Anne Burell's recipe. It was delicious!

There was no way we could top lunch, so for dinner we had In N Out. LOL.

Overall, a good foodie day!

Nearly a year after asking Dawg for her recipe, I got around to making a pot of Broccoli Beer Cheese Soup. It was good, but very different from what I usually make when using cauliflower or broccoli. I think I didn't use enough broccoli? It seemed...thin. Maybe it's because most of my similar soups also use a thickener. Or maybe it was the beer...for some reason I kept burping the rest of the evening. :ermm: Then again, maybe it wasn't the soup at all...we were eating it during the debate. :(

Thanks for posting the recipe anyway, Dawg! I'll try it again, but probably reduce the liquids so I don't have to increase the broccoli. And add more cheese...just because. :yum:

Ours was fresh made minestrone with ciabatta and grated Parmesan, Veal casserole with peas and potatoes - an old favourite of my OH's, and a huge favourite all over Italy, and then ice cream made by the chef at the village pizzeria. Decidedly good it was, too: Blackberry, water melon, pistachio, vanilla and chocolate, all to die for. I can't make ice cream, but who cares, when the village pizzeria makes such delicious stuff. Their pastries are very good too. Your creations look good. Puts me in the mood to have a go at some of those recipes, as I'm forever doing Italian, So bring the recipes on!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom