Sunday Supper ~ Dinner Thread 3/27/2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
IMG_1449.jpg

Made a big ole' pot of my Paniolo (that's Hawaiian for Cowboy) Chili.
:yum:
What's going on to your table?

It was going to be bbq-sauced pork chops, baked potatoes, and roasted broccoli and cauliflower. Well...I got busy cleaning and just looked at the clock. Um... leftovers tonight! The afore mentioned menu tomorrow.

Wonderful meal tonight. Tried another new recipe and, again, it's a keeper.

Poor man's lobster, along with steamed Brussels sprouts and lemon fudge for dessert.

Here's a link to the lobster: https://artofnaturalliving.com/wp-json/mv-create/v1/creations/177/print?utm_source=pocket_mylist

Was fortunate to get a nice thick piece of cod at the market and it cooked up perfectly. The addition of the sugar to the boiling water really enhanced the lobster-like flavor.

Another keeper.

Leftover green beans, l/o grillin' beans, tex-mex sloppy joes. Was reasonably good, had to up the Mexican spices to make it better.

I don't know if you want recipes here, but here is what we had for dinner tonight. DH thought it was excellent, I just gave it a good rating, a little too hot for me. lol

RAGHAVAN IYER-"660 CURRIES"

Curried Beef Stew with Potatoes, Shallots and Malt Vinegar
(Goan Gosht Curry)

1 lb. boneless beef (chuck, or stew meat) cut into 1" cubes
1 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
8 oz. russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1" cubes,
and submerged in a bowl of
cold water to prevent browning
2 TB. canola oil
4 green or white cardamom pods
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks (each 3" long)
4 oz. shallots, thinly sliced
2 tsps. coriander seeds, ground
2 tsps. cumin seeds, ground
1 can (13.5 oz.) unsweetened coconut milk
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1/4 cup malt vinegar
2 tsps. coarse kosher or sea salt
2 TB. finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
and tender stems for garnishing

1. Toss the beef in a medium-size bowl with the cayenne and turmeric. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight, to allow the spices to flavor the meat. (The turmeric does tenderize the beef, so the longer you marinate it, the more tender the meat curry.)
2. Drain the potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cardamom pods, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks and cook until they sizzle and are aromatic, 5 to 10 seconds. Toss in the beef, shallots and potatoes. Stir-fry until the beef is seared and the shallots and potatoes are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Sprinkle in the cumin and coriander and continue to stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
5. Pour in the coconut milk, tomatoes with their juices, vinegar and salt. Stir once or twice to deglaze the skillet, releasing any collected bits of spice and shallots. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally and gently, until the beef cubes are very tender when cut with a fork, the potatoes are tender but still firm and the sauce is thick, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
6. Sprinkle with the cilantro and serve. Serves 6

If you like, discard the cardamon pods, bay leaves and cinnamon sticks before you serve the curry.

Cookieee, when you post a recipe in a supper thread, it tends to get lost. It's better to post the recipe in the appropriate forum and link to it here. That way, when someone is looking for the recipe or a similar recipe, it's easier to find.

Pan-fried thin boneless strip steak, mashed potatoes, and broccoli rabe (hubs plate).

steak_broccoli_rabe_032722_img_9392-jpg.48950

Back
Top Bottom