Sunday Supper Plans 12-18-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
We're eating our main meal late afternoon rather than tonight to accommodate our watching the Patriots/Broncos game at 4:25PM.

Pork ragu over fettuccine and a veggie.

I'm truly making "muffin tin thighs". As I'm not entering a BBQ competition, I'm trying to cut some steps/time out of Myron Mixons's "cup cake" thighs. One of those steps is not sniping the ends of the bones off. I am also using a different sauce. Corn and mirliton maque choux and potatoes for sides. We had a little piece of chaurice left from the tapas, so I threw that on the Egg as well.

Chinese takeaway chicken and string beans and egg roll.

Sunday is my "day off"--I was going to make enchiladas, but decided to make those tomorrow evening. Tonight was clam chowder and grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, apples, and lefse for dessert.

Cleaning out leftovers. Chili - gone! Roasted veggies - gone! Pork chop and some ham, broccoli and cauliflower, and braised cabbage - gone!

We have a bit of ham, a carton of eggs, and some mushroom tops left. Guess what tomorrow night's Last Supper dinner is! :LOL:

I'm truly making "muffin tin thighs". As I'm not entering a BBQ competition, I'm trying to cut some steps/time out of Myron Mixons's "cup cake" thighs. One of those steps is not sniping the ends of the bones off. I am also using a different sauce. Corn and mirliton maque choux and potatoes for sides. We had a little piece of chaurice left from the tapas, so I threw that on the Egg as well.

Sounds good Craig. When I do them, I cut the whole bone out. Works well.
But it does take time.

Pasta, mussels,shrimp w/ diced tomatoes.

img_1492590_0_7c4039cd78250121900e773f5b18b0dc.jpg

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and render unto me his salad.

A big one. Plus the cheesesteak of the land of Philadelphia.

After our cheesy lasagna and tiramisu feast Saturday, I felt that we needed something lighter tonight. So I picked up some flounder filets, sprinkled them with Penzeys Trinidadian seasoning and roasted them. For sides, I simmered green beans in chicken broth and Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and made long-grain and wild rice with chopped bell peppers.

Attachments

• 1482123545259.jpg
    1482123545259.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 140
Chicken Marsala here tonight with thighs and lots of sliced Crimini shrooms with fresh thyme. How I love the unique flavor of Marsala in this dish.

Given the mix of spices (and I like spicy) and that it seems to freeze well, we've been doing this dish a lot. I generally do it in the pressure cooker with thighs.

I just found our local farm, from whom I purchased our Thanksgiving Turkey also does Chickens as well as eggs. (Should have known this, but still only three months in the area and it has been a busy three months), so Chicken is on the menu a lot. They are cheaper than the grocery store when on sale, which is regular, or 50 cents more a pound, and much better.

Beloved wife and I both had a long week, so I just did a lemon pepper chicken tonight. Put a whole chicken in the pressure cooker stuffed with limes lemons, and salted and peppered, served with mashed potatoes and broccoli. I spent $7.00 about on the chicken, got each of us a chicken breast for tonight's meal, enough from the drums and thighs to make up a pot pie tomorrow for two people, and I threw the carcass in a tupperware, just because I have a couple of carrots, parsnips and celery stalks hanging about, so probably will make a pot of stock tomorrow. Pretty good return on the dollar!

After our cheesy lasagna and tiramisu feast Saturday, I felt that we needed something lighter tonight. So I picked up some flounder filets, sprinkled them with Penzeys Trinidadian seasoning and roasted them. For sides, I simmered green beans in chicken broth and Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and made long-grain and wild rice with chopped bell peppers.

My Father-in-law is a big foodie, also cooking for one tends to like to buy in quantity. I didn't know about Penzey's spices until I met him. He buys extra and sends us some. Means we have the best smelling mailbox in the apartment complex between that and my tea.

Arizona Dreaming from Penzey is a nice one for whitefish. A regular for us is Ottolengi's Chariah sauce recipe for fish from his Jerusalem cookbook, man that is good, and the spices are the stars, so you can use cheap arse tilapia from Costco, kind you get frozen in a big bag, and it still tastes great.

My mom is from the Jersey Shore area, so a lightly breaded and toasted with spices flounder was a regular growing up. My father had a visceral dislike of bluefish, I suspect I don't dislike it, but for some reason I can't bring myself to buy it.

TBS

Sounds good Craig. When I do them, I cut the whole bone out. Works well.
But it does take time.

Removing the bone would seem easier than sniping both ends. Don't you think the bone adds to the flavor? I'm thinking of buying some wing drumettes, prepping them as "lollipops" and using the same cooking method. I'll have to cut the time down. I think they would be a great appetizer for a BBQ along with some moink balls and/or ABTs with a fatty or two as the main.

My mom is from the Jersey Shore area, so a lightly breaded and toasted with spices flounder was a regular growing up. My father had a visceral dislike of bluefish, I suspect I don't dislike it, but fo5r some reason I can't bring myself to buy it.

TBS

Bluefish can be really stinky if not handled properly. A lot of people don't realize that you have to cut its head off and hang it upside down to bleed it immediately after catching them. Also, you have to cut out the lateral line than runs down the middle of the filets. You end up with smaller strips, but at least it is then edible.

Breaded and fried flounder or fluke are definitely Jersey staples.

Here's a keeper we caught off a sea wall this past summer:

Attachments

• 0719162024a.jpg
    0719162024a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 107
Bluefish can be really stinky if not handled properly. A lot of people don't realize that you have to cut its head off and hang it upside down to bleed it immediately after catching them. Also, you have to cut out the lateral line than runs down the middle of the filets. You end up with smaller strips, but at least it is then edible.

Nice catch!

I thought he would like to stand up. :angel:

boyand fish.jpg

Back
Top Bottom