Sunday's Dinner November 9, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put a pot roast in the crock pot this morning, along with carrots, onion and potatoes. It's getting a tiny bit cooler as we approach December - the humidity is going away and the temps are just in the mid-high 80s. Makes it more fun to cook (and EAT!)

DH had a toothache yesterday, so he had soup and I had grilled cheese. So tonight I'll make the pork chops, herbed spaghetti squash and green salad we didn't have yesterday.

Roast pork loin with red peppers, tomato, potato, carrot, onion, gravy...

Very tasty.

I seasoned the pork with cajun spices, added the red pepper relish the veggies and tossed diced tomatoes over the top...

With the drippings in the pan I made a wonderful creamy gravy.

large.jpg

and as served
large.jpg

I said earlier that I had taken some cooked chicken out of the freezer and I was going to turn it into nachos, well if I have one gripe about those vacuum sealers, it's that you don't know how much meat you actually have! Things started getting so high in my smaller casserole dish after adding the chicken that I had to transfer everything into a lasagna pan. This is definitely not a one sitting snack.... I hope the chips that are layered on the bottom reheat OK. :huh:
I seem to remember now that I was saving that chicken for chicken n biscuits. That must be why I saved so much in one bag. It didn't look like that much all frozen in the handi-vac :wacko: This is a ridiculous amount of food.

Attachments

• nachos.jpg
    nachos.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 213
Oh alright Pacanis we can take a hint, we'll be there with some beers in a bit just keep those nachos warm....
:)

I'm serious, Suzi. These nachos are made with the stuff baked on top of the chips rather than like a dip. I feel like if I don't eat it all it will go to waste :(
I'll put a couple mugs in the freezer ;)

I said earlier that I had taken some cooked chicken out of the freezer and I was going to turn it into nachos, well if I have one gripe about those vacuum sealers, it's that you don't know how much meat you actually have! Things started getting so high in my smaller casserole dish after adding the chicken that I had to transfer everything into a lasagna pan. This is definitely not a one sitting snack.... I hope the chips that are layered on the bottom reheat OK. :huh:
I seem to remember now that I was saving that chicken for chicken n biscuits. That must be why I saved so much in one bag. It didn't look like that much all frozen in the handi-vac :wacko: This is a ridiculous amount of food.

Holy Moly!!! I have been known to make some "piled up" nachos....but this just blows me away!!!:LOL:
Im on my way.....put another mug in the freezer:angel:
YUMMO;):)

lol, sorry to disappoint....
I ate a LOT more than I expected to. I was munching nachos, watching the Colts catch up to and pass Pgh, and reading through a knife forum. And the nachos were closeby ;) The leftovers will easily fit on a saucer, and they will need more chips, as I noticed the chips starting to get soggy. They were still good though, as was the chicken. I used some of that Spanish smoked paprika on the chicken as I layered it on.
I'll still toss a couple glasses in the freezer though. Maybe Joe can whip up a pizza crust for Kathe... :)

Attachments

• nachos2.jpg
    nachos2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 175
  • nachos3.jpg
    nachos3.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 180
For dinner tonight we had a very meaty spaghetti dinner. The sauce is chopped and sauteed tomatoes,onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. One can of crushed tomatoes with garlic and herbs. Sliced spicy italian sausage links and ground sirloin and lots of cheese.

Served that with toasted garlic bread, homemade olive tampenade (recipe courtesy of a fellow dc member) and some steamed veggies. To drink, some iced chai tea.

and for Entertainment: FOOTBALL!!

Everyone's food looks so good! We had the stuffed cabbage rolls tonight as I didn't get them going until late yesterday. I need to pull myself away from the computer!

img_721597_0_8c61237a489b44cf2b2aba6249b45f47.jpg

Thanks Snack. Love2"Q" gave me the recipe. Without going word for word, because I didn't follow it word for word anyway :LOL: It's basically layering some nacho chips (I use Tostitos), refried beans on top of them, meat (the original recipe was to help me use up pulled pork), pico, cheese (cheddar and pepperjack) and Q layers everything again. I just do the one layer. Then bake it in the oven.
The pico de galle I use is onion, tomato, jalapeno and lime juice. It goes great rolled up in a tortilla with chili, too. Also cilantro, but I didn't use that tonight because I knew everything was going in the dish anyway. I didn't think the cilantro would be missed.
This is much better than making a dip for nachos :)

mmmm, mashed taters!
Nice!
The carrots look fantastic, and of course the main course.

Thanks Snack. Love2"Q" gave me the recipe. Without going word for word, because I didn't follow it word for word anyway :LOL: It's basically layering some nacho chips (I use Tostitos), refried beans on top of them, meat (the original recipe was to help me use up pulled pork), pico, cheese (cheddar and pepperjack) and Q layers everything again. I just do the one layer. Then bake it in the oven.
The pico de galle I use is onion, tomato, jalapeno and lime juice. It goes great rolled up in a tortilla with chili, too. Also cilantro, but I didn't use that tonight because I knew everything was going in the dish anyway. I didn't think the cilantro would be missed.
This is much better than making a dip for nachos :)

OOh, thanks. I think I will try it with pulled pork, that sounds wonderful. How long did ya bake it for and at what temp? I was thinking of broiling the top layer but don't know if that will melt everything. :ermm:

DH made one of his "gourmet specialties" :LOL: Fried Angus burger patties with Kraft cheese slices melted on, rice and frozen peas. This is one of his staple meals and to be honest, because I haven't been feeling well today and just the fact that someone else cooked, it was probably the best meal I have had all week!

my boy and i took down the garden today, so we harvested the last of the frying peppers, swiss chard, and 1 last beet, and made a big pot of swiss chard, bacon, and potato soup.

i rendered a 1/2 pound of maple bacon, then browned the peppers, green and white onions, and 1 sliced head of garlic in the remaining fat. it was all put into a large stock pot with 4 cans of chicken broth, along with 5 diced carrots, the peeled and quartered beet, 5 peeled and diced russets, and 1 tightly packed quart of stemmed/chopped red and white swiss chard. i adjusted the amount of liquid with about a half quart of water, brought it to a boil, then simmered covered for about an hour.
it came out very good, earthy and bacon-y. :chef:

before i began my soup, dw and i prepared a huge (canadian?) roasted chicken, rubbed inside and out with evoo, s&p, sweet hungarian paprika, garlic powder and parsley.
it took 2 1/2 hours at 375, but it was really tender and juicy. dw says her secret is to add a few cups of water to the bottom of the pan as it's put into the oven, with the bird on a rack above. it keeps it moist while still getting a crispy skin by the time the beast is done.

she also made a very good sundried tomato risotto.

good eatin' in my house tonight! :pig:

Back
Top Bottom