Sunday's dinner, Oct. 30th, 2011

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i'm bored so i thought i'd start today's thread.

i bought a pork rib end roast to make today. i'll use it to make my pork roast with butter and apple gravy in the crock pot. i'll have to dig the herbs in the garden out from under the snow, but it'll be worth it.

the best part of this roast is that one end is very lean as a pork chop, and it gets fattier towards the other end so there's a cut for everyone. and the gravy comes out great!

so, what are you cooking sunday?

Beef stew here. It has been a cold weekend and comfort food is definitely needed.

It's supposed to get up to 50 today and sunny. A welcome change.

The Browns are playing the Forty-Niners, so this weeks personal pigskin challenge will be that San Francisco treat... no, not that treat, the other one. Cioppino! A good day for fish stew.

Decided on chili! Got a great bit of beef (that's what she said!)
And I love the 49ers! And the SF Giants :)

I have a couple of end cuts of top sirloin. It's destined to become swiss steak. I'll make some Yukon Gold mashed potatoes to pick up the sauce from the steak. Salad on the side.

It's chilly, and my heating unit isn't working, so I started a pot of baby lima beans with a couple of large pieces of smoked pork neck bones.

I may have to figure on cooking something else if it doesn't warm up a little. Baby limas cook up as quickly as split peas.

I found some ribeyes on sale yesterday. Picked those up for tonight's dinner along with baked potatoes and salads.

i turned on the heat for the first time this season. it is quite chilly here, and the wind is blowing. i think i'll be making lentils and sausage, with a soffritto base. the sausage i have on hand is new orleans style, smoked. i'm just not sure about seasonings--the sausages pack quite a bit of flavoring as well as some heat, so i may be good....

i turned on the heat for the first time this season. it is quite chilly here, and the wind is blowing. i think i'll be making lentils and sausage, with a soffritto base. the sausage i have on hand is new orleans style, smoked. i'm just not sure about seasonings--the sausages pack quite a bit of flavoring as well as some heat, so i may be good....

Your recipe sounds wonderful. Would you mind posting it?
Maybe it won't need anything at all except a loaf of fresh baked bread.
I'm just sayin'.. Woke up to a nippy morning..Fall is definitely here.

I made a pot of sauce with chicken gizzards, meatballs and sausage.

I also picked up a small package of sausage that was called Sicilian sausage. The list of ingredients includes cherry juice. I am cooking that by itself to see what it is all about. We'll see!

news of widespread mislabeling of fish across the board and across the land has made me hesitant about buying fish, lately....
Another good reason to buy from a dedicated fish monger, or co-op. Unlike the "big guy" grocery chains they usually give a damn about their reputations. I like it when you can ask the fella behind the counter questions and he actually knows the answers.

I'm excited about our dinner today!! I ordered some *darling* bread bowls from a local bread company - they look like pumpkins! Orange with little green stems on top. _SO_ cute!

I'm making baked potato soup to go in them. Yum!

news of widespread mislabeling of fish across the board and across the land has made me hesitant about buying fish, lately....

Well, I'm pretty confident that the crab, mussels, clams, bay scallops and shrimp weren't mislabeled, but I guess the jury is out on the cod :LOL:
Wasn't this in restaurants anyway? I didn't read all of the articles, but I thought people were being served misrepresented fish. I know at least one story I read said this.

the (intentional) mislabeling of fish is not a new problem, but recently the news media has trained a spotlight on it. this "bait and switch" is occurring in supermarkets, restaurants, and probably also in the wholesale markets, wherever there is money to be made....fish that are frequently subject to substitutions are salmon, red snapper, mahi mahi, swordfish, halibut and others i can't recall. tilapia is known as the "meryl streep" of seafood, being able to fill every-which role, as needed. fish, being presented in fillet or steak form, with no skin or fins, cannot be visually identified. the fda is looking into a dna-based method of recognizing fish, but no system with such testing exists as of yet....

We have our dinner on Sunday right after church. I put a pork roast and sweet potatoes in the oven before leaving this morning and roasted some asparagus and made a cucumber and tomato salad. We had a peach pie for dessert. It was all delicious and there are leftovers for our supper.

Interesting, Vit. I suppose fish fillets/steaks will soon have to be "Certified".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom