Supper Saturday 9/30?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chilly, gloomy day here, too, but no rain for us. A bowl of cheesy cauliflower soup (with extra cayenne pepper) and Cuban sandwiches (to use up the rolls/meat) for us tonight.

Made the chili mac and cheese Andy referenced recently. I had to tinker with the recipe. Yep, surprise in our house. I felt it would be too soupy so I used half the broth called for and instead of the 2 cups of shredded cheddar, I mixed in 4 cups. Turned into a pretty tasty casserole. I think next time I'll add some chopped jalapenos. Made a bunch. The recipe says it serves 8...lumberjacks?

Anyway there is a ton left, so we'll have more tonight with a big cast iron skillet full of hot cornbread slathered with butter.

Today marks DH's 10th Anniversary of Retirement!
This is a HUGE deal, seeing what he did for a living for
nearly 30 years. The job didn't kill him, thank you God,
but most folks don't survive 10 years after retiring.
We are so blessed, truly!
So, I asked him what he would like for dinner to celebrate,
"Steak Frites and a nice salad."
No, he's not a foodie :LOL:

Spinach garlic pasta with garlic, onion, marsala sauce.

Attachments

• 2017-09-30 19.10.32.jpg
    2017-09-30 19.10.32.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 139
I made a small TATTRAT inspired boiled dinner.

A small cabbage, two carrots an onion and a ring of kielbasa steamed over ham bouillon flavored water.

I will save the cooking liquid for the soup pot and use some of the leftovers to make a breakfast hash.

Went from summerlike weather all week to cold and foul today (rain and low 50's). Comfort food tonight - stuffed red bell peppers, mashed potatoes, nuked broc.

Canasta afternoon with friends so, we went to a favorite restaurant...

I had Calamari & chips, Jeannie had a huge BLT, half of which she took back to friends home, for the dog..

Friends had cake for our dessert..

Ross

Today marks DH's 10th Anniversary of Retirement!
This is a HUGE deal, seeing what he did for a living for
nearly 30 years. The job didn't kill him, thank you God,
but most folks don't survive 10 years after retiring.
We are so blessed, truly!
So, I asked him what he would like for dinner to celebrate,
"Steak Frites and a nice salad."
No, he's not a foodie :LOL:

001.JPG

I can't believe it!
DH asked specially for A1 Sauce to go on his Steak :huh:
He hasn't used A1 in well over 25 years :shrug:
ok
I decided I'd give it a taste after all this time,
now I remember why I don't care it :stuart:

We will finish off the Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert later

edit> oh yeah I forgot to say I also made sauteed
mushrooms with shallots, garlic, butter (sshhh), OO, White Wine and Flat Leaf Parsley, MMM!

Last edited:
K-girl got me thinking about sausage and peppers, so I picked up some peppers, onions and sweet Italian sausage at Sprouts. Cooked it up with a lot of diced garlic, and finished it with some basil from the garden, and some fresh grated Parmesiano Reggiano.

I even took another photo. Business is slow, so I guess I'm feeling the need to take pictures. I even tried my had at some food styling. I am a professional photographer, not a professional food stylist, so this is about as good as it gets. :LOL:

CD

Attachments

• SasagePeppers.jpg
    SasagePeppers.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 113
I worked a double yesterday, had 5 hours off, then went back in for another 12. Went straight to my son's game, then the plan was to go out to dinner for my birthday, but I just couldn't keep going or even see straight for that matter, so we just stayed home and DW made my favorite: Chicken Parm and Spaghetti.

Happy birthday, Bucky!

Had the 2 youngest grandbabies last night as a surprise, so we reverted to spaghetti-O's, chicken apple sausage, and sliced tomatoes & cucumbers.

I had taken out a slab of spare ribs from the freezer. When it defrosted I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had already seasoned it! Did a sheet pan dinner with the ribs started 'bout 1/2 hour before throwing in some potatoes, onions, then another 15/20 minutes threw in a couple of handfuls of broccoli and cauliflower. All vegies were oiled and seasoned with Garlicky Old Bay.

Had to mush up the Old Bay as I've had it a while. Don't think we can get it here and I usually scrounge it up from whoever goes to America for a trip. :rolleyes:

I also et'up the rest of the ribs'n vegies for my mid-morning snack.:angel:

Belated birthday greetings. Great to have a relaxing time after all that work! One of the things I really like is to get a nice range of cheeses, some good bread, a few - and I mean a few, not too many, bottles of nice wine, invite some friends and have a cheese and wine evening with our friends. We live in a major wine area, so pairing wine with the cheese is fun! This year's vintage is small but high quality, but nowhere near ready - it's still in the vats. We'll taste some older wines, and reminisce...

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom