Surgery Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Hi All - I am having surgery on 11/10 and will be recovering at home after I get out of the hospital. So I'm making soup. I want to make a casserole too...I've never frozen a casserole and I know there are some kind of assemble and bake ones out there.

Any suggestions?

It's good surgery - to restore my hearing - but I'll have vetigo and won't be very mobile for about a week. I don't want to eat garbage take out food, I want to eat fairly healthy. I'm single and live alone.

Any one will do just stop before the bake part and do that after thawing.Lasagne and Mac-n-cheese as well as veggie ones all work good.

Any casserole you can fix can be frozen, thawed and baked. Or even baked, thawed and re-heated. Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

Years ago mom had ear surgery and while it was wonderful for her being able to hear it was trying with being unable to get around well. She was so nauseseated food had to be light and not so spiced. Just simple veggie soup at first so she didn't have to be on her feet for long. then after about a week she could handle a light veggie stew and mild pasta someone else fixed.
good luck and prayers your way
kadesma

Soups are good, comforting, nourishing food. Even though I live alone, I recently made up a whole package of split pea soup (mainly because I had a huge ham bone to use). I froze it in several containers and thawed one out a couple of days ago. It was just wonderful, and it's nice knowing there's more when I want it.

I reheated on medium low (still frozen) so I could rest my bad back and check on it every 15 minutes or so until it was ready.

Good luck!

Jeni, that is so exciting that your hearing will be restored! Fresh Butternut Squash Soup comes to mind as well as fresh Tomato Basil Bisque. Also, a Chicken & Wild Rice w/Mushrooms soup. All the best to you :flowers:

Thank you everyone! Yes I am very excited - I am having a stapedectomy: Stapedectomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good point on the type of food - I suppose I might be sick. I think I'll do potato leek (because it's so easy) and then mac and cheese.

Did not know about the casserole freezing thing. I've never done it. So, I can just assemble and freeze...do I need to thaw it before sticking it in the oven? Perhaps a dumb question but I'm not all that savvy at the science part of food.

Wish me luck! Surgery is on 11/10. I am traveling for work 11/8-9 so things are a bit crazy.

Jeni, I routinely put together casseroles and freeze them. When I'm ready to cook, I just toss them in the oven frozen. Keep an eye on them, but they usually do just fine that way. Try lasagna, either chicken or regular as well.

I'd add to those that suggest soups. If you freeze a bunch of broth you can pull one out, stick it in a pot and add bits of things on any particular day.

Hope your surgery goes well, it sounds exciting.

Good luck to you and hope all goes well.
Soups are great as not alot of work to reheat for you and light on the tummy if having veritgo and get to feeling queezy.

Thank you everyone!

Good point on the type of food - I suppose I might be sick. I think I'll do potato leek (because it's so easy) and then mac and cheese.

Did not know about the casserole freezing thing. I've never done it. So, I can just assemble and freeze...do I need to thaw it before sticking it in the oven? Perhaps a dumb question but I'm not all that savvy at the science part of food.

Wish me luck! Surgery is on 11/10. I am traveling for work 11/8-9 so things are a bit crazy.

I know about the "crazy" but I wish you luck and will br praying for you.

Incidentally, a great comfort food is potato dauphinoise. But add some nicely crisped fried bacon and you have a wonderful meal.

Split pea soup would satisfy the need for soup and would be very nourishing.

I froze most of my last batch and I can tell you it was just as good thawed out.

I'll be praying for you and will be waiting to hear from you after.

Well, surgery went well. I haven't eaten anything yet, not hungry and the vertigo is something else.

I did have one complication - a nerve got pulled a little so I have lost the sense of taste on part of the left side of my tongue. What a bummer for me!

It could come back so I have hope. I also think it's better than the other possile complications (deafness, permanent vertigo, ringing, facial ticks). So, I suppose if I had to get a complication, this would be it!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and support. It means a lot!

I am glad to learn that you are recovering. I have a friend who has a taste deficit due to a brain injury. He enjoys things that fun texture and foods that are aromatic... firm jello, tacos with crisp shells, scented popcorn, pretzels, rice crispy treats, pizza with crisp crust, bubble tea and oddly, capt crunch cereal...

Pamper yourself for a while - give yourself some time to adjust and heal and don't forget to eat!

Glad you're back. Be careful getting around, vertigo is nothing to mess with. Take your time and get well. {{{{HUGS}}}}}

Back
Top Bottom