Taco (or not) Tuesday -9/22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too much happening for me to concentrate on cooking. We ordered from Mr. Falafel. DH had the chicken platter, I had the Merguez platter, and we both had baklava for dessert. I really like the baklava from this resto. While Greek baklava are delicious, they are usually too sweet and sticky for me to want to eat them often. These, had all the flavours but weren't nearly as sweet and not really sticky either. It was all yummy.

Taxi, I also really enjoy the baklava from our Greek place, but I agree it's often too sticky sweet. I wonder how your place makes it differently?

I have two prime rib "cap steaks" in the SousVide, and I'll throw them on Wilma.
Baked spuds and salads will make a great meal in a couple hours. Maybe some Texas garlic toast too.

Did I miss what's happening with you?

Too much happening for me to concentrate on cooking.

Last edited:
Taxi, I also really enjoy the baklava from our Greek place, but I agree it's often too sticky sweet. I wonder how your place makes it differently?

I have two prime rib "cap steaks" in the SousVide, and I'll throw them on Wilma.
Baked spuds and salads will make a great meal in a couple hours. Maybe some Texas garlic toast too.

Did I miss what's happening with you?

Sounds delicious.

The difference in the baklava - I don't think they poured any syrup on it.

Got Sigrid, my Volvo, back today. This post and the one following.

I had Taylor Ham (pork roll), lettuce and tomato on toasted Bakery onion rye, mayo, salt and pepper for dinner.

Syrup is an integral part of baklava. Certainly it can be overdone.

When SO makes it, we make sure to drain excess off syrup before serving.

We had fish tonight. SO had baked cod while I had salmon baked in a foil packet. Corn on the cob and tossed salad completed the meal.

I had lunch with some of my Neighborhood Gal Pals today
at a new-to-me restaurant that is Thai-ish I'm gonna say.
It's a mix of Chinese and Thai dishes, but delish
none the less.

Thai Cafe.jpg

I ordered the Shrimp Spring Roll to start

Thai Cafe1.jpg

... and Beef Pad See Ew, oh and a Beer too ;)

I couldn't eat anywhere near to even a third of my food,
but that's okay. DH is having the Noodles for dinner while
I finish the Rolls.
:yum:

I got a craving for those fried squash blossoms, after all that talk about them, so I made some! I also fried up 5 okra, since I had not done that this summer, and I had the batter! I remembered why I don't fry things like this on a regular basis - it could get addictive. Both were delicious, and I had a simple salad, to make up for them!

I made up an egg/semolina batter, with just some S&P for seasoning. The blossoms I just stuck a piece of cheese, anchovy, and basil leaf, and I used some feta in one of the first three, and queso panela in the other two, and the panela was definitely better, so the other 3 got that. I only got the first photo. I didn't have any helpers, cooking or eating, so I couldn't really have any time to do anything else - hot fat is unforgiving! Only fried 6 of them, plus 5 okra, while I was getting the other 3 ready. Afterwards, I cooked up the rest of the chopped blossoms to freeze.
Squash blossoms starting to fry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I tried a new recipe from the June issue of Southern Living, "Skillet Shrimp Destin with Orzo". We liked it, but with reservation. The orzo cooks in vegetable broth; it needed more "oomph". Might use the lobster Better than Bouillon I have in the fridge. Needs more shrimp, too. Maybe more salt. I'll be tweaking this recipe when I make it next time.

IMG_20200922_201612271.jpg

Changed my mind about the sides, but it was a delicious meal with the special green bean and potato dish with balsamic vinegar, bacon and onion.

Attachments

• P9220088.jpg
    P9220088.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 94
  • P9220089.jpg
    P9220089.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
we had some wonderful beef fajitas, made by my SIL, followed by a sweetened lemon bream with apple pie filling, over toasted cinnamon dusted flour tortillas. It was all delicious.

Lastly, my new favorite beverage, Rice Dream rice milk, original flavor. It has the mouth feel of whole milk, but more flavor. I still love milk, but can only have a half-cup per day.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom