TGI Friday - What's Cookin'?7/31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Roast Beef & Cheddar Roll-ups, Mashed Yukons with Roasted Garlic & Brown Gravy, Buttered Carrots, and the Salad...

Roast Beef & Cheddar Roll-ups.jpg

Since both Stirling and I have migraines, we ordered from a local sandwich place called Dagwoods. Stirling had the "Dagwood" and I had the roast beef. Thank goodness for online ordering. I wasn't up for dealing with it and Stirling wasn't up for phoning, but clicking stuff on the intertubes was within what he figured he could manage. The sandwiches were, as usual, delicious.

Marie Callender Beef Pot Pie. Really comes out good in the microwave - crispy and brown crust.

We finished the Thai pork and peppers that I made a few days ago. Served it over rice. Seared some fresh green beans with garlic; tossed some white sesame seeds in at the end to toast them. Himself called it "fancy leftovers".

IMG_20200731_212930934_HDR.jpg

I made up a sort of a gumbo today in the Instant Pot, to use up 1½ qts of okra, that I'm getting mostly from the 12 Little Lucy plants, but have finally started getting them from the 6 Emerald plants. I started with some bacon - the only smoky meat I had in stock - then added some onion, celery, bell and jalapeño peppers, spices and herbs, and garlic, to cook about 10 min., adding some tomato paste towards the end. I then added the puréed tomatoes, okra, and some pearled barley, and cooked in the slow cooker high mode for 2½ hours. It seemed to need more water, so I added more, and cooked on the medium slow cooker mode for 1½ hours, and it was done just right.
Okra, cut up for the gumbo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

5 cups of fresh tomato purée, for the gumbo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The bacon, onion, celery, bell peppers, garlic, spices, and a little tomato paste, cooked in the Instant Pot. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pearl barley and okra, added to the tomato mix of the gumbo. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gumbo, after cooking 2 1/2 hrs in high slow cooker mode, in Instant Pot. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished gumbo by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last night, pork in a green chili sauce. My B-Day dinner plans got postponed until the weekend. Now they are further postponed due to an unwanted visitor. Unsure about tonight as we will be preparing for a hurricane/tropical storm. Although NOAA predicts it to just touch the NE corner of Broward county.

36788-albums1111-picture8381-jpg.44284

Last night, pork in a green chili sauce. My B-Day dinner plans got postponed until the weekend. Now they are further postponed due to an unwanted visitor. Unsure about tonight as we will be preparing for a hurricane/tropical storm. Although NOAA predicts it to just touch the NE corner of Broward county.

Seems like a lot going on..

Dinner looks yummy and.. Happy Birthday.. :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom