TGIF Dinner, February 16, 2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gung hey fat choy!
Happy Chinese Lunar New Year!!
The Year of the Brown Earth Dog, so I've been told anyways...
Everyone's meal sound SIMPLY MAVALOUS!

I was a busy little beaver!

Chinese tradition is that elders give Lai See, or monetary gifts in Red Envelopes to youngsters.
I know only one that's near by, but could not find the ornate Red Envelopes anywhere here in Cowboyville :LOL:
... So I made my own
001.JPG

For our supper I made a noodles for long life and good luck
002.jpg

Fried Saimin is what we call it back home, MMM!!!!
Can you see a sample serving missing there from the bowl?
DH said that he needed to do a quality check :rolleyes:
It's simply Yakisoba (or your choice of) Noodles with Char Siu or Chinese BBQ Pork and a Chop Suey mix of veg.
Back home I could buy a small bag of this in the produce department, now I have to make up my own mixture of Mung Bean Sprouts, Carrots Matchsticks, Shredded Green Cabbage, Sliced Celery and Scallions. Add a sort of stir fry sauce and I'll eat this for any meal! ONO! (that's delicious in Hawaiian)

004.JPG
005.JPG

I also made some Crispy Gau Gee, a Chinese Festival Food.
Think Pork Dim Sum deep fried ... another YUM!

006.JPG

I'm stuffed!

cake!.jpg
I broke out one of the half-sized Bundt Rum Cakes that I made for the up-coming Bake Sale for DH. He whines entirely too much! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Lol, thank you, K-girl. I totally forgot it was Chinese New Year. That explains why the takeout place was closed early last night and tonight.

With all of the tragedy and ensuing nonsense, I wanted to start off today in good form.

I remember goimg into Chinatown (NYC) with my high school buddy whose family was Chinese, and being given the red envelopes with money from the relatives we visited, and blasting fireworks in front of the dragon.

So thanks, and Gung Hey Fat Choy!

Last edited:
What a beautiful celebration meal Kgirl! I'm counting on my Dragon Lady Noodles tonight will also be our claim to "long life and good luck" for the New Year.
Gung hey fat choy!

By the way, that Anthurium bowl is stunning.

Last edited:
Meatloaf got put on hold until tomorrow. We missed Costco on Monday as it was a holiday so we went today to shop and have dinner with TB's brother. I had a hot dog and a vanilla cup.

Oh, and Andy, thanks for the tip on Almond Day. I bought a container of mixed nuts. Hope that was good enough! ;)

KGirl, my best friend is Chinese (though born in Canada) and her family has done the red envelopes. I was her Nanny for her two boys for their early years and one year her Dad was over from the Island. He gave ME a red envelope. I was so touched.

Last edited:
Geeze Cheryl, "President's Day Weekend"? What's with that idea? They get both Fri. and Monday?? Cheyenne will have just Mon. off from preschool...
Like bt, our schools "enjoy" Presidents' Week. Not sure how much the parents do, though, especially if they work and have to find alternate child care.

...Btw, talk about turning over in their graves, add Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to that list. My job gives us the choice of taking either day, not both...
At least Dr. MLK gets a day to himself. I remember back in the dark ages when we celebrated Lincoln's birthday on 2-12 and Washington's on 2-22. Now they have to share a random day for the sake of a 3-day weekend.

Oh, tonight's dinner. I actually realized that today was the start of Chinese New Year before I had to make supper! Even better, I have another nine days to do other dinners while the celebration goes on. Today I made shrimp and veggie stir fry. Served it over the rice left over from last night's supper. It takes me forever to prep Chinese dinner, about 10 minutes to make it. The entire time I'm cooking I'm complaining about why I'm cooking and didn't just call up for take-out. Then we start to eat. SO much better than take-out by us!

Attachments

• 20180216_215141.jpg
    20180216_215141.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 121
Salad - mixed baby greens, cottage cheese, blackberries, dried tart cherries, candied pecan halves and slice almonds. was dressed after picture was taken with a mixture of EVOO, red wine vinegar, garlic salt grinder, onion salt grinder, ground pepper, a touch of honey and several drops of Ken's Lite raspberry hazelnut vinaigrette dressing.

Trader Joe's blackberries were huge and not a bad one in the package, 12 oz. for $3.49.

cottage_cheese_berry_salad_021618_IMG_3643.jpg

Cheese Plate - Top center clockwise smoked cheese, double cream gouda from Holland, pepperoni, sopressata, double cream brie and in the center port wine and cheddar spread. I also added some blue cheese to my plate (this was hubs plate mine had no meat. Served with stoned wheat thins for the brie and spread.) Assorted crackers on side.

cheese_plate_021618_IMG_3645.jpg

Thank you Kay and Ross.

I have been having issues.

I did make homemade Italian meatballs, homemade beef Braciole in homemade red gravy and cheese raviolis on Thursday but never got to post the picture.

Back
Top Bottom