TGIF, Dinner ideas? 4/20/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well we have this one strawberry that is ripe in the window box and we are both eyeing it....lol

I think we'll have crudite and a gorganzola dip and I am thining the salads that have sprouted way too successfully in the tomato pots, so we might have those with a light dressing... and then halve the strawberry...I'll have my half with sugar and dh will have pepper. I know, we are obcessed with the strawberries but container gardening means you have to get maximum joy out of every bit of produce :)

making a homemade salisbury steak with meatloaf mix, and an onion gravy.

barely smashed baby yukon golds, sauteed broccoli crowns, broiled cheese toasts.

We have a chicken on the rotisserie that we'll have for lunch. mr. callie injected the bird with a creole garlic marinade and also used a dry rub. I think I'll pause my work long enough to make some biscuits.

It's raining here. In fact, my little Google weather icon says "storm" instead of "rain" so it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. I am looking forward to cream of tomato soup, a grilled cheese sandwich and a large glass of ice cold milk while sitting in front of the fireplace watching House MD, which I fell asleep in the middle of on Tuesday.

Unless, of course, I get hit by a truck or something.

Last edited:
Lulu, if you get another strawberry, try it with a little balsamic vinegar. If DH likes his with pepper, he'll love this!:)

Here I think I'll make baked Mexican chicken topped with avocado and salsa, brown rice, and stir-fried peppers and onions. I'm really thinking ice cream for dessert (see what one warm day does to me?!?:LOL: )!

We both love balsamic...we do a great pudding with strawberries, mascapone, balsamis and kirsh...but, hey, its only the one half each..lol, we'll save balsamic for when we get the next one :)

Caine said:
It's raining here. In fact, my little Google weather icon says "storm" instead of "rain" so it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. I am looking forward to cream of tomato soup, a grilled cheese sandwich and a large glass of ice cold milk while sitting in front of the fireplace watching House MD, which I fell asleep in the middle of on Tuesday.

love love love House! yet can't get our kids interested in watching it. they're into [Entourage, Nip/Tuck, they've instructed me I'm not allowed to watch either of these two] and Grey's Anatomy etc.:neutral:

I've been so trying to eat healthy - fruits, veggies and salad. Still early here, but, I have some salmon I might prepare with lemon juice and dill, rici e bisi (rice, peas & parm - much like risotto), sliced roma tomatoes - and, gasp, maybe a strawberry shortcake cup from the market. (The whipped cream is oh sooo good.)

If my chicken leg quarters thaw, will grill bbq chicken, if not burgers, corn on the cob and crusty grilled garlic bread (w/the chicken).
ps. (I always pre-bake my chicken before it goes on the grill.) Except for bnls. and wings!

Last edited:
I've got some ground beef thawing so we may have cottage pie too YT. I'm doing a short shift tonight 1500-1900 so maybe I will wait and eat at home. Work dinners haven't agreed with me much lately.

It's not my night to pick, but I'm going to push for Pizza and Beer!! :angel:

John

lulu said:
Robo, what's a salisbury steak? Is it a cut?

Lulu, don't ask me how they got their name, but salisbury steak is generally oven baked (or sometimes skillet fried) formed steak made with mince, sort of a hamburger patty but often with meatloaf type additions kneaded in, and served with various sauces and gravies.

I am still in an extremely foul mood following the incident at the gym and neither in a mood to think about dinner, I don't even know when Cris will be home either, so it will be something quickly improvised, more than likely..

I have a pork stew going, just cubed some pork browned it then barely covered it with chicken stock and some salt, covered it and cooked it for an hour. Next I poured off the stock and saved it, in the skillet I browned the meat in I sauted some onion and garlic, added tomatoes coarsley chopped, some chopped tomatillos oregano, pinch of red pepper flakes and cumin. Added back some of the stock and let it thicken adding a little sugar. Now I have to go put the pork cubes back in and some sausages made of chicken, apple, artichokes that I sliced and get everything nice and hot. I have a pot of white rice to put the stew over and top with avocado slices and chopped white onion, corn tortillas nice and warm..Beer or something hot to drink and plain ol toffee bars for dessert...

kadesma:)

I have a beef sirloin cooking in some pasta (red) sauce until it falls apart, and having pasta on the side.

Back
Top Bottom