Thanksgiving Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DugDbold

Assistant Cook
I am amazed:ROFLMAO: No talk about the biggest food even of the year. Where are the chefs??? I'm looking for regional family recipes. What do yall [suthern for you all] fix on the T-Day?

Doug:

I will be doing a 'traditional' dinner. I will roast a turkey, stuffing outside the bird and giblet gravy. Mashed potato and rice pilaf, creamed onions and glazed carrots, Pecan pie, cheese cake, vanilla ice cream.

There may be some changes in the sides depending on who shows up for dinner.

We will be at the farm for thanksgiving - our children, grandchildren, sisters and some of their family, mom. Don't know how many yet, but I will start cooking the Monday before. We have our traditional dinner - roast turkey, roast fresh ham, cornbread dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, fresh green beans, cranberry relish and sauce (the whole berry canned kind) ambrosia, rolls and several desserts - fruitcake(really good one) pumpkin pie, pecan pie, derby pie, coconut cake and cookies of different types.

For those of us who aren't American - it's not even celebrated, so it's not OUR biggest day of the year, catering-wise!:chef:

Canada had their Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago, I believe.

Now - the biggest event of the year in Scotland is Hogmanay... probably followed by Christmas, Burns' Night and St Andrew's Night. Multiple chances to have a real 'blow-out' feast :)

Ishbel said:
For those of us who aren't American - it's not even celebrated, so it's not OUR biggest day of the year, catering-wise!:chef:

Now - the biggest event of the year in Scotland is Hogmanay... probably followed by Christmas, Burns' Night and St Andrew's Night. Multiple chances to have a real 'blow-out' feast :)

I will be making my Christmas cakes, christmas puddings next weekend - giving me lots of time to 'feed' the cakes with brandy and or/whisky before I ice them.

Hmmm... there is a pattern forming. Does anyone fix sweet potatos on days other than T-Day and Xmas? :]

We will have T-Day at my house. The menu has developed over time but we try to add or change one thing each year. A lot of the items can and will be prepared in advance.

As with many of you, I'm not sure exactly how many will be here but it will be a load... About 16 expected.

So here is the menu...

Appetizers:
Boone Family Cheese Ball [extended family tradition]
Philly Cheese topped with Cranberry Chutney and Almonds [my wife started this one]
Sour Cream BLT Dip [ok, ok, this came out of a magazine]
Shrimp Spread with Cocktail Rye bread. [origin lost in time]
Freezer Pickles [wife's great grandma's fixin]

Dinner:
Fried Turkey Breast [new addition last year]
Roasted Whole Turkey
Garlic Smashed Potatos with Giblet Gravy [my daughter's]
Sausage Dressing [my mom's sloppy dressing]
Roasted Fall Vegetables [my daughter's, with sweet potatos of course]
Corn Pudding [my grandmother's recipe]
Waldorf Salad [always been there]
Squash Casserole [my wife's mother had recipe on old yellow 3x5 card]
Sister Shube Rolls [yeah, yeah... from the store]

Dessert:
Cream Cheese Pie [wife's mom's recipe off of a Jello Box]
Pumpkin Pudding [My grandmother's]
Vanilla Ice Cream

If I leave out any of the standards I hear about it for weeks... LOL

Ishbel said:

Sorry I forgot this is an international forum. You are most certainly right to bring that to my attention.:huh:

Now, what does Hogmanay celebrate? And Burn's Night?

We will have between 29 and 34 family members, it will depend if one nephew comes, there is 5 of them.
We normally have the following, with very small variations

Turkey
Dressing {outiside the bird}
giblet gravy
rolls
sweet potatoes
mashed potatoes
corn casserole
brocolli salad
cranberry salad
waldorf salad
green beans

Chocolate pie
pecan pie
coconut pie
sometimes, my mammaws banana pudding

Hogmanay is the Scottish name for New Year's Eve - my home town of Edinburgh throws the world's biggest street party each Hogmanay. all over the world, people use our traditions, perhaps without realising it! 'Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot' is a Scottish song:cool: You might find this interesting
http://www.edinburghshogmanay.org/ We have lots of traditions and special foods for the event.

Burn's Night is 25 January, when we celebrate the life of Scotland's premier bard, Robert (Rabbie) Burns. Traditional foods are served, haggis etc

St Andrew's Night: in my family we go to a formal dinner and dance on the night of Scotland's Patron Saint's day.

Okay, I realize this is off topic... but.. what exaclty is Haggis? Have heard it mentioned forever but never met anyone who actually had eaten it.

Well, the country club I work at will be serving around 200 folks (or more) a Family-style dinner (Russian Service), plus take-out orders with whole birds, sides, etc. I'll be busy prepping up stuff for that on that particular week.

My other half and MIL will be prepping the food for here at home. They roast a turkey, stuffing inside the bird (which I won't eat), green bean casserole, rolls, pumpking pie, mashed potatoes and gravy, etc.

I was hoping to talk my mom into trying to fry a turkey this year, but it does not look like that is going to happen. She said if i want to buy the rig and fry it myself that go for it. I would love to do it, but I can't justify spending the money on the rig. Maybe next year I will do it :chef:

I'm not sure what I am doing this year. If I stay up here in NY it will just be my boyfriend and me, but I might go back home. My family is deciding whether or not to have Thanksgiving up at our lakehouse. If I stay in NY I will just make up a few dishes, but below is a list of what my family usually makes at Thanksgiving.

Appetizers:
lobster mouse
cheese ball or chili cheese dip
herbed cheese wraped in crescent
chex mix

Dinner:
Roasted or smoked turkey
mashed potatoes and gravy
stuffing
sweet potato casserole
green rice-My aunt usually brings this over
vaidalia onion casserole
waldorf salad
green bean casserole

Dessert:
pumpkin chiffon cake
If I am there I usually make Paula's gooey pumpkin slices
chocolate cake

DugDbold said:
Okay, I realize this is off topic... but.. what exaclty is Haggis? Have heard it mentioned forever but never met anyone who actually had eaten it.

You've obviously met very few Scottish people then, as it is a staple of our diet. :) I don't want to hijack your Thanksgiving thread - but you may be interested to read a little more about haggis on the MacSween's site - MacS makes the best commercially available haggis in Scotland - they even make vegetarian types. http://www.macsween.co.uk/homepage.htm

Ishbel said:
You've obviously met very few Scottish people then, as it is a staple of our diet. :) I don't want to hijack your Thanksgiving thread - but you may be interested to read a little more about haggis on the MacSween's site - MacS makes the best commercially available haggis in Scotland - they even make vegetarian types. http://www.macsween.co.uk/homepage.htm

I would like to see Dug's jaw drop to the floor when he finds out what Haggis is!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day in Italy either, but probably I will make some pumpkin pies... I introduced it to Cris and his family and friends around the time of Thanksgiving last year just for fun, and everyone loved it!!

[QUOTE
Dinner:
Roasted or smoked turkey
mashed potatoes and gravy
stuffing
sweet potato casserole
green rice-My aunt usually brings this over
vaidalia onion casserole
waldorf salad
green bean casserole

[/QUOTE]

abj, what is vidalia onion casserole???
It sounds like something I would love. Do you have a recipe?

Thanksgiving is our absolutely most favorite day of the year. We like it all just to ourselves, we buy a huge bird, give it a name, and take before and after pictures. We save the little weight and price tag (toetags) and keep all our turkey-day memories in a file.

Fix turkey in the morning (have mimosas)
Fix brunch (have Bloody Marys)
Prepare all the traditional things in early afternoon and watch football (Miller Lite)
Put traditional foods in oven (open bottle of wine)
Eat (more wine)

Yes, we are silly. But we're on our 22nd bird and all our friends and family call us each year to see what the name is!

urmaniac13 said:
I would like to see Dug's jaw drop to the floor when he finds out what Haggis is!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day in Italy either, but probably I will make some pumpkin pies... I introduced it to Cris and his family and friends around the time of Thanksgiving last year just for fun, and everyone loved it!!

Excuse me but
2.gif

I just read what they are. omg, that sounds really bad.
I would probably like it if I didn't know what it was, but, not now, no thank you. Just like I won't eat rocky mountain oysters either and those are eaten her like candy in some places. Not me, no way:LOL:

TexasBlueHeron said:
Fix turkey in the morning (have mimosas)
Fix brunch (have Bloody Marys)
Prepare all the traditional things in early afternoon and watch football (Miller Lite)
Put traditional foods in oven (open bottle of wine)
Eat (more wine)

I want to eat {drink}at your house!!:LOL:

Texas Girl,
When I get home I will post the recipe under the casserole section for you. It is one of my favorite side dishes. I will sometimes make it just for myself. I think you will love it if you can find the onions. My mom will store them up just for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have gone from making 1 casserole to 2 casserole's for the holiday's.

Back
Top Bottom