The Christmas Degustation Menu 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I swear one of these Holidays is going to end up killing me. I wanted to seriously strangle several guests last night. The dessert was a Christmas sampler with a cheesecake, cobbler, and gelato which I didn't take a picture. I think I was too tired by then. Here is my 2006 Christmas dinner for $105 per person without wines:

First Course:
Fresh Pacific Yellowfin Tuna Carpaccio
Preserved Orange, Masago Aioli, Maui Onion, Chili Infused Oil

Second Course:
Crab Won Ton Soup
Dungeness Crab Won Tons and Lump Crab Meat, Bamboo Shoot, Chives, Shiitake Mushroom, Dashi Consomme

Third Course:
Island Fruit and Bitter Greens Salad
Sumida Farms Watercress, 'Nalo Farms Baby Arugula, Kula Strawberries, Kahuku Farms Hayden Mango, Roasted Soynuts, Orange-Truffle Vinaigrette

Entree (Choice of:)

Chinese-Style Steamed Island Moi (Pacific Threadfin)
Braised Chinese Vegetables, Tea-Infused Jasmine Rice, Soy-Ginger Nage

~or~

Asian Style Braised Veal Shank "Osso Bucco"
Lemon Risotto, Sauteed Mushrooms, Wilted Arugula, Sauce Beurre Blanc, Natural Five-Spice Braising Jus

Looks great IC!

Are some of these dishes traditional holiday fare in your neck of the woods? I see some red/green elements which are nice.

How was your holiday?

Nicholas Mosher said:
Looks great IC!

Are some of these dishes traditional holiday fare in your neck of the woods? I see some red/green elements which are nice.

How was your holiday?

Nick, none of it is traditional at all in terms of holiday fare. But I did try to incorporate Christmas colors like you noticed in a few of dishes.

The holiday was the same as it's been for me the past 4 or 5 years. Several 12-14 hour days back to back to back to back, etc. etc. But I love what I do or else I wouldn't put myself through this abuse year after year.

I wanted to seriously strangle several guests last night.

Oh IC, certainly no one would complain about this menu. It is magnificent!

How did they aggravate you?

IC I originally thought by SPam Capital you meant Austin, MN. I have driven past the plant a number of times. After seeing your menu I did some re-sifering and found out I didn't carry the naughts. :ermm: After doing that and also seeing your pictures I came up with Hawaii. Looks great!!

JDP

Dear IC: you're dinner looked delicious and the presentation was thoughtful, modest yet lavish. How unique. New Year's Resolution: Create a new circle of guest.

Half Baked said:
Oh IC, certainly no one would complain about this menu. It is magnificent!

How did they aggravate you?

The usual stupid people that every restaurant sees during the holidays and special occasion-type meals. People who decide to take out their insecurities and aggressions on those who are trying to deliver a memorable experience to them. People who really would be better off dining in the privacy of their own home.

StirBlue said:
Dear IC: you're dinner looked delicious and the presentation was thoughtful, modest yet lavish. How unique. New Year's Resolution: Create a new circle of guest.

Yeah, but in reality, no one can ultimately control the type of guests that they have. You can narrow down your clientele demographics a bit by other things like menu pricing, restaurant cuisine, etc. but again, it's only really a few people that are disgruntled. The majority of the guests are usually great.

Ahhhh, miserable people who are sad, so they take it out on anyone they feel they can.

I'd embroider you an apron that says "Bite Me"....if I could embroider.

Sorry IC. You're right. Some people just need to stay home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom