The Food Network

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a few shows on the Food Network that I enjoy, but I think my favorite is Good Eats--maybe it's just my inner scientist, but I like how Alton Brown explains more than just how to cook things. A lot of the recipes from Food Network seem to be over my head and my budget, but it can be fun to watch and get ideas.

Alton Brown is very interesting the way he explains cooking habits. My husband and I saw one the other day on cashew butter which has me thinking about obtaining a food processor earlier than planned. :LOL:

Has anyone seen the show with Amy, winner of the Next Food Network Star?

The time frame that they chose to put this show on air is a little off for me so I only caught it once but she seems to be doing okay. I have to admit though, the meal which Amy made isn't something which I would actually attempt because it isn't something that I would have for every day planning.

And is Paula Dean boozing it up, or just acting like it??????

I've not seen anything going on there with Paula. From what I have been able to figure, she always has been quite out spoken with her southern style which is something that makes her unique in comparison to the many other chefs that are on the FN.

Big Good Eats fan, enjoy Iron Chef, would love to host Drive Ins, Diners & Dives!!

I love watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Boy meets Grill, Into the Fire, Good Eats, Barefoot Contessa and Iron Chef America

The only show I watch regularly on Food Network is Tyler's Ultimate. His dishes are fantastic and the only ones that always work for me. Plus, he's such a cutie, I'd watch him even if he wasn't cooking~ ;)

Did you see Tyler with Robert Irvine from Dinner: Impossible against Paula and Kat Cora on a special "Battle Sugar" edition of Iron Chef America? Now Tyler is cute, but I will take the tough talking little Englishman any time! (Robert, not Ramsay).:LOL:

Yes I did see that skit, it was a great one I think. Irvine is very good for what he does and I appreciate his show Dinner Impossible as he always is doing something so different especially the past few I have seen. I look forward to the new shows that are being done. I noticed yesterday Anthony Bourdain is coming out with new shows for his series this week too so that is going to be very exciting.

I'm getting sick of the people on FN now. I mean how many hosts do you need preparing south-western style dishes? For God's sake....if I see another chile pepper, mango, tortilla or avocado I'm gonna flip!

i like good eats..dinner impossible. I'm not a fan of rachel ray... she has good tips..but she annoys me. I like giada but its always italian food. basically I watch the food network when I can (we don't watch much tv) But when I do, the food network is on. I learn everytime I watch whether its a new dish, or just a new tip.
Oh and our single friend likes Giada (he likes her......)

After downgrading our cable to basic digital, we find ourselves spending alot of time watching The Food Network. We like most of the shows on there, and even watch Alton Brown and Rachel Ray even though they do tend to annoy me ;)
At the top of the list are: Iron Chef America, Dinner Impossible, Dinners Drive Inns and Dives, Paula, The Barefoot Contessa, Rachel Ray, Mario Batali, Emeril, Good Eats..
Wait, maybe it would be quicker to list which ones I dont watch?? LOL.
I also spend alot of time at thier website (cant list URL's yet sorry) where you can do everything from look up recipes to watch episodes of some of the shows (not all of them) and even create your own recipe box. I was not, however, able to find the carrot caviar recipe but I was able to identify which episode it was. You can always write them using the link they provide and hope they respond back with the recipe? Worth a shot I guess. You can also look up the episode on Food Network and then google it and see if it comes up somewhere else, I was suprised how many I was finding on YouTube and other sites even though they constantly get knocked off for copyright violations.
Anyway, I did do a search for carrot caviar and came up with several links to resturants, recipes, as well as YouTube videos showing you how to make it.
Frankly it sounded rather beyond me...

Gosh about ten years ago we were on cable, the worst cable network in the world I would suppose. The people who started it up are now in prison. No, it is not a felony to run a monopoly horrible cable TV station, they were just crooks. But the cable station was terrible and our landlord did not want us to have a dish.

Sorry, am carrying on. The point was the cable station did not carry the Food Network. Every so often we would go away for the weekend and would arrive early to watch the channel on the hotel TV.

Loved it.

Now we own our own digs and have the dish and the network.

But we almost never watch the channel.

Find the people boring, or maybe it is just us who are getting boring, but watch other stuff.

Anyway we rarely watch it anymore. Would love to watch an entertaining cooking show. If I lumber into Cookin' in Brooklyn I enjoy it - it is not on the cooking chennel.

Sorry, but to us the cooking chennel just doesn't get us to tune in.

I cant take Barefoot Contessa or the Paula Dean. Contessa has just never made a dish that looked slightly appealing to me. Paula has some good stuff once in a while, but seems rather inconsistant in my humble opinion.

Iron chef is where its at. Bravo has some cool shows which takes me away from the food network at times.

Last edited:
Good Eats is my favorite by far. Giant foam props and sock puppet theater in a cooking show? That's how you know it's not just a cooking show; it's a food show. Oddly, I'm not impressed with Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt, even when you consider my love of motorcycle riding (and unrequited love of BMW bikes).

For some unknown reason many of the female hosts really annoy me. Wait, I do know the reasons. Rachel Ray is overbearingly perky and her constant, cutesy abbreviations grind on the language section of my brain. Paula Deen's heavy-handed Southern charm gets obnoxious after he first handful of "Ya'll"s. I haven't seen many Barefoot Contessa shows, but her voice is like audio flurazepam and she does that thing (most hosts do) where she'll taste the food, dwell on it, and relate how good it is. We know it's going to be good, you're a professional on the Food Network. Giada DeLaurentiis is less irritating than most, though I find using Italian pronunciations of "naturalized" English words a bit pretentious.

Iron Chef is pretty entertaining fare. While I think the Japanese version used more unique secret ingredients ("Battle Live Eel"? Come on!), the American version presents its own challenge given the drive to be more creative with comparatively mundane ingredients. Of course, it might be that the uniqueness of the Japanese ingredients is more a matter of cultural differences. It's also neat to see how these ingredients are used in the hands of master craftsmen and women and the varying methods they employ.

Unwrapped, Ham on the Street, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, and The Secret Life of... are pretty good time wasters at work. Working midnights gives ample amounts of nothing to do but wait, and unfortunately there's a lot of nothing on TV! Those shows are well worth watching.

i like most of the shows ..
the ones i dont .. i change the channel ..
i do not let tv annoy me .. thats what the off button is for ..

Love Good Eats

I Love Good Eats, but I'm a bit of a chemist at heart. I even mix my own photography developers by scratch.

Last edited:
I've read that FN's rating are really down, down so low that they are going to have to give money back to some of their advertisers because of their failing audience numbers. That should tell them that airing the same shows over and over all day long isn't working. Enough with the Giada, Paula, RR holy trinity! And maybe they need to change their demographic from the 18-25 male group. Other than checking out Giada and Aunt Sandy, do guys that age really watch FN? Some new management is called for here. Pulling out old episodes of Bourdain's show isn't going to save the ship.

Good Eats is my favorite by far. Giant foam props and sock puppet theater in a cooking show? That's how you know it's not just a cooking show; it's a food show. Oddly, I'm not impressed with Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphalt, even when you consider my love of motorcycle riding (and unrequited love of BMW bikes).

For some unknown reason many of the female hosts really annoy me. Wait, I do know the reasons. Rachel Ray is overbearingly perky and her constant, cutesy abbreviations grind on the language section of my brain. Paula Deen's heavy-handed Southern charm gets obnoxious after he first handful of "Ya'll"s. I haven't seen many Barefoot Contessa shows, but her voice is like audio flurazepam and she does that thing (most hosts do) where she'll taste the food, dwell on it, and relate how good it is. We know it's going to be good, you're a professional on the Food Network. Giada DeLaurentiis is less irritating than most, though I find using Italian pronunciations of "naturalized" English words a bit pretentious.

Iron Chef is pretty entertaining fare. While I think the Japanese version used more unique secret ingredients ("Battle Live Eel"? Come on!), the American version presents its own challenge given the drive to be more creative with comparatively mundane ingredients. Of course, it might be that the uniqueness of the Japanese ingredients is more a matter of cultural differences. It's also neat to see how these ingredients are used in the hands of master craftsmen and women and the varying methods they employ.

Unwrapped, Ham on the Street, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, and The Secret Life of... are pretty good time wasters at work. Working midnights gives ample amounts of nothing to do but wait, and unfortunately there's a lot of nothing on TV! Those shows are well worth watching.

I agree with alot of this. Well said chap!

I know a lot of people have a lot to say about Food TV and all those TV personalities that everyone just hates, or gets on their nerves, for whatever reason. I'll say it again - if you have something constructive to say then say it. If you just want to say something snotty on a personal level about someone you don't even know, well don't. They are still someone's daughter, mother, sister, wife, husband, brother, son, father, aunt, uncle, cousin, etc., etc. If they had a chance to say something about us I doubt most of us could handle it.

Yes, it's a little irritant of mine. When the Food TV boards closed down a LOT of the people who MADE THEM CLOSE IT drifted to other sites. I swore that the hatred for the Food TV shows and their hosts/hostesses would not be allowed here and I still stand by it. All the negative talk just triggers more negative talk.

OK - CherryRed - can you imagine how much fun it would be to work there???? But then again, I would love to work on ANY of the sets as I would have to come away a more skilled/knowledgeable cook.

I know a lot of people have a lot to say about Food TV and all those TV personalities that everyone just hates, or gets on their nerves, for whatever reason. I'll say it again - if you have something constructive to say then say it. If you just want to say something snotty on a personal level about someone you don't even know, well don't. They are still someone's daughter, mother, sister, wife, husband, brother, son, father, aunt, uncle, cousin, etc., etc. If they had a chance to say something about us I doubt most of us could handle it.

Yes, it's a little irritant of mine. When the Food TV boards closed down a LOT of the people who MADE THEM CLOSE IT drifted to other sites. I swore that the hatred for the Food TV shows and their hosts/hostesses would not be allowed here and I still stand by it. All the negative talk just triggers more negative talk.

OK - CherryRed - can you imagine how much fun it would be to work there???? But then again, I would love to work on ANY of the sets as I would have to come away a more skilled/knowledgeable cook.

Chill friend, no one said anything about hating these people on a personal level. There just may be other shows that are more successful or watchable than others. No one said anything about hate, and this is the only board
I use so being able to express opinions should not be shunned.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom