The Food Network

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But then again, I would love to work on ANY of the sets as I would have to come away a more skilled/knowledgeable cook.

A day with any of them would be a day well spent indead, even the ones I dont normally watch.
And yes, I too beleive that using the 'channel' button or 'off' button is far easier and more pleasant that complaining. Then again, I wonder how many shows out there have thier ratings bulstered not by adoring fans but by critics that just cant wait to tune in on the next episode to see whats new to hate...

Just thinking out loud....

And Ace of Cakes rocks!

Watching a show to "see what's new to hate"... I agree with you there. I think lots of people do that, or else there wouldn't be nearly as much criticism on the shows' forums. Doesn't make sense to me, though. Why not just find a show you like?

And I would totally love working with the Ace of Cakes crew. They all have such a laid-back attitude, even when things seem to be going wrong (the row house cake with the sloping roof? no problem!). It's sort of dangerous though... watching that show makes me want to bake and decorate cakes for days, even if there's no occasion. I'm just happy I haven't given in yet. If I suddenly gain hundreds of pounds, you'll all know what happened :LOL:

I very much enjoy Good Eats. My soon to be four-year-old little girl also enjoys it and asks to watch "the cooking show" and sits in my lap to watch it; so, I always have a few episodes on the DVR. I enjoy the lessens from food prep to history to science and his format.

I watch Throwdown semi-regularly. It's always funny to see Flay get it handed to him. The look on his face is priceless. It's what he gets for calling a lot of the stuff that he cooks "barbecue" when it is actually grilled (sorry, couldn't resist). I do watch Boy Meets Grill as well, but he tends to go overboard with his stuff, but they all do.

I'm looking forward to the new show with the Neely family that is to debut in February.

I once got royally chewed out by my 3 year old daughter for having the audacity to change the channel in the middle of Ace of Cakes (it was a rerun, not that she cared about that!), and my 7 year old son is fast become a big fan of The Food Network, sometimes preferring it to his regular cartoons. I cant see the downside to that, and who knows maybe someday I will get a chef in the family ;)

I've read that FN's rating are really down, down so low that they are going to have to give money back to some of their advertisers because of their failing audience numbers. That should tell them that airing the same shows over and over all day long isn't working. Enough with the Giada, Paula, RR holy trinity! And maybe they need to change their demographic from the 18-25 male group. Other than checking out Giada and Aunt Sandy, do guys that age really watch FN? Some new management is called for here. Pulling out old episodes of Bourdain's show isn't going to save the ship.

I overheard part of the issue was producer's attempt to pull viewers from an area that unfortunately was pushing away others. There is not enough of a mix for both to be satisfied and it is causing a loss of viewers. I agree with you, reruns are not going to make up for the current issues they have now. There are only a few things that I will watch on FN any more as the others I don't get any use from.

I still enjoy seeing Dinner Impossible always amazes me. Good Eats is something I learn from so it is very beneficial. I watch Food Challenge on Sundays. Other than that, I've been very picky on what I'm watching any more because they are slacking off in my opinion. :ermm:

And maybe they need to change their demographic from the 18-25 male group. Other than checking out Giada and Aunt Sandy, do guys that age really watch FN?

I do, but I seem to recall a relevant bit from an old Simpsons episode...

Lisa: It's awful being a kid. No one listens to you.
Grandpa:
It's rotten being old. No one listens to you.
Homer:
I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me no matter how dumb my suggestions are.
(Homer grabs a can of "Nuts and Gum" snack food mixture and chows down)

Oh, I should note that my workplace only has one television, and being lowest on the seniority ladder means last choice of what to watch. That's the only reason I've sat through so many shows I did not enjoy.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. I sometimes feel the need to explain myself more than some people find necessary.

Last edited:
Sorry if I offended anyone with my previous post. I sometimes feel the need to explain myself more than some people find necessary.

I personally found nothing offensive in anything you are anyone else that I have read on here has written. To me they are all opinions being expressed, likes and dislikes being compared, and varying views and prespectives being shared. A long way from hate, personal attacks, and insults.

I was speaking of people (in now defunct forums) that would specifically watch a show just to have new 'ammo' to start flame wars in the shows forums with others that enjoyed the show. IE there was no point to thier actions other than to stir up 'trouble'.
I meant it as a 'thinking' point and not as pointing a finger at anyone. I just wondered how many of them, during the course of thier game playing, realised that they in fact were helping to support the very show they seemed to hate so much...

As for tuning in to a show to have something new to be jealous of or to make fun of, well I am guilty as charged!! :-p

I especially love to watch the Travel Channel and get jealous of all the wonderful places they get to see, :LOL:

Last edited:
I like watching the food network to get ideas. I don't watch it much now cuz I'm addicted to other shows. Paula Dean is cool, I love her late night show with the studio audience. I also like Everyday Italian. I forgot the name of the lady who's on it...but it's great. I love italian food.

I don't find as much enjoyment in FN anymore. When I do flip by, it seems like everyone is making pasta. Maybe I am not looking at the right time. I do like the Travel Channel to see where all the wonderful places are.

I've read that FN's rating are really down, down so low that they are going to have to give money back to some of their advertisers because of their failing audience numbers. That should tell them that airing the same shows over and over all day long isn't working.

This is the biggest problem I have with FN. Constant repeats!! I used to be an avid watcher of FN, now I'll check what they have on and most of the time I switch to another network.

Many of chefs/cooks have dvd's of their cooking shows. I wonder how well they sell? I've seen most of them about 3 times each, hence the switching, you can only watch it so much before you start reciting their next lines. :)

Okay, today I have been confined to a fair amount of rest due to a circulation problem in one of my legs - we are trying to get the swelling down so I had to lay around and do nothing. I started going through my huge box of recipes and magazines to sort it out and put the Food Network on for noise. Noise was a good word for it. There were a couple of okay Canadian shows - Chef at Large and Sugar, but I had seen both episodes before. The it was the "Countdown to Dinner" lineup which for us starts at 1:00 pm as it is based on Eastern time: Paula cackled at least 2 dozen y'all's, Rachel was jumping up and down at the brilliance of her own concoction of pizzange, Giada had an italian pool party and so on. I have not tuned in during the day for a long time, limiting myself to the more intelectual night-time fair (laugh with me) of Iron Chef America, ****'s Kitchen, Top Chef, Good Eats and the like.

Oh, and please don't think I am knocking the American chefs only. We have our share with Bob Bloomer who travels around with a toaster trailer and a year or so ago were subjected to a show where people actually allowed their kitchens to be filmed while a team of two detected all the non-food safe no no's they had.

If I have to spend a day like this again, I think I will choose the cartoon channel.

Oh LPBei........
I love watching that guy with the toastermobil and I am very envious I don't have one too.
I think he's wonderful. Loved the most recent one I saw when he fried an egg by some piece of equiptment he'd made, so it could fry by the use of the sun only....... in some town in Arizona I think it was. Very interesting.
To KE, I used to be one of those that frequented the message boards over at TVFood. I was so sad when they closed. It was a good meeting place but you are right, they said some pretty rotten things about a couple of the stars on the networks shows. And BTW&FYI, I know the board that most of them are on now. I don't go there much as it feels foreign to me...

reruns

i too have gotten sick of reruns. hardly ever sit and watch the channel . it is back ground noise for me. haven't seen a new one from any of stars in about a month.

babe :(:(

I too have a problem with constant repeats. When there are specials, its always
the same chefs, ie" the "holiday shows". I like Barefoot Contessa. I like Paula
Deen and use several of her recipes but I think she overdoes it sometimes.
Dinner Impossible is good. Have only seen one episode with Amy, the last
winner of the contest. It wasn't something I wanted to watch again. Guy, the
previous winner has done well and I enjoy Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.
Ace of Cakes is a fun show. There are some good shows, but its a lot of
reruns.

I was wondering the same thing about the writers strike. Maybe Food Network is going to develop their own reality and/or game shows. That could be interesting with real people instead of the normal stable of FN hosts.

My wife is always talking about how they need to put everyday cooks on their with everyday recipes, or as she puts it "recipes for the rest of us" LOL.
I would love to see shows based on cooking for medium to large families on a small budget, that would be interesting.

I don;t believe the writers' strike is really the cause of all the reruns on FTV. Their rerunning old shows has been going on for a long time. They just don't have enough programming to fill the clock.

Back
Top Bottom