The Friday 9/8/2017 Dinner Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rusty Pelican salad, kind of. No mushies.:( Be evacuating tomorrow. Karen made several meals that we can just warm up. Trying to use stuff up. Hopefully I can get back to fire up the generator if the power is out. Otherwise I'll be making stuff for the neighbors if it is safe and they return.

Stay safe Craig, Karen and all our Florida people......

+1! Prayers for all in the path of this monster storm.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I didn't feel like disturbing the cleaned up kitchen this afternoon, so I opted to pick up a loaded up salad from my fave little Mexican place. Lots of assorted greens, avocado, tomato, red cabbage, onion, shredded Monterey jack, and topped with tender grilled chicken strips. Ranch dressing on the side. It was delicious.

Still enjoying summer so we had sloppy joes on homemade buns, rum baked beans, iced tea and butterscotch-toffee bars. The sloppy joes was a new recipe and it is definitely a keeper with one small adjustment, less brown sugar. Otherwise, winner, winner sloppy joe dinner!

Wishing more safety and sending prayers to all who might be affected by Irma.

K-Girl, I hope you and your DH feel better soon.

We cleaned up leftovers, mostly. However, we completely indulged in bakery from our favorite Little Italy bakery, Corbo's. Himself and I each had our 1/3 portion from a huge piece of Cassata cake (apparently Mario Batali's favorite!) and we each had a cannoli. :yum: Ehrmagerd, they are delicious!!! :yum:

Diet definitely starts when we get back to MA...

Leftover shrimp and clam strips from Captain D's (that was for lunch), salads, and pumpkin roll for dessert. Watermelon before I went to bed.

We had home made chicken nuggets with potatoes nuggets and pigged out, it was yummy. I even made dip sauces and it was just perfect.

We had home made chicken nuggets with potatoes nuggets and pigged out, it was yummy. I even made dip sauces and it was just perfect.

I recently started baking chicken strips for dipping.. I've never been tempted to buy them @ a FF place (no telling whats in them).. Kinda silly maybe but, I'd never had nuggets or strips until I started to do them myself.. They are delicious...

Ross

I dont buy them any more, exhusband loved storebought mystery chicken nuggets, hated homemade. So I avoided this dish until I got new partner, now we have it now and again, sadly not baked since my oven refuses to make it crispy.

We finished my leftover take-out Chinese ginger shrimp noodles from the night before. I also baked a small pan of cinnamon rolls courtesy of Pillsbury. DH poked and ate the middles out of several of the rolls while they were still warm. He got a bit of a lecture from me after I discovered the destruction.

Last edited:
I dont buy them any more, exhusband loved storebought mystery chicken nuggets, hated homemade. So I avoided this dish until I got new partner, now we have it now and again, sadly not baked since my oven refuses to make it crispy.

I found that using Panko and browning it first and increasing oven heat really crisps things up...

Browning Panko is as simple as adding oil of choice to a pan, adding Panko and allowing it to get to the color you wish... I use this method for most any breaded food I convert from fried to baked..

Ross

I found that using Panko and browning it first and increasing oven heat really crisps things up...

Browning Panko is as simple as adding oil of choice to a pan, adding Panko and allowing it to get to the color you wish... I use this method for most any breaded food I convert from fried to baked..
My recipe uses panko, too. It makes a big difference. I also preheat the oven to 475F/256C, put the chicken on a rack in a sheet pan (this allows the heat to reach the entire surface of the chicken), and hit the chicken with some olive oil cooking spray. It bakes up nice and crispy in 15 minutes.

DH went golfing with a friend last night and afterward they went to a new local brewery. He had a cheeseburger there and brought me a cup of their she-crab soup and a large Greek salad. We shared the salad. The soup was okay. It had something spicy in it, which overpowered the delicate flavor of the crab. So now I know not to get that there again [emoji2]

My recipe uses panko, too. It makes a big difference. I also preheat the oven to 475F/256C, put the chicken on a rack in a sheet pan (this allows the heat to reach the entire surface of the chicken), and hit the chicken with some olive oil cooking spray. It bakes up nice and crispy in 15 minutes.

Exactly.... I failed to mention the rack.. Works with pork too..Thank you... :)

Ross

TB was home sick - we both have colds. So, we headed to our new go-to place to eat, the Pho restaurant just a few blocks from our place. TB had a large bowl of Pho and I had vegetarian tempura (it is different from vegetable tempura in that it is done in a stand-alone fryer).

So good!

Back
Top Bottom