The limits of food are only as restrained as the person who is cooking it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
I think that I am the first to do this. I searched the web and could not find any reference to this, whether it be a recipe, an image, or on a menu. Two things that I love are foie gras and Roquefort cheese. Now, it would be kinda crazy to try and combine the two because of the textures, as well as the amount of fat. But I wanted to try.

Which is why I made a Roquefort foam.

I figured that I could impart the flavor of the cheese into the dish, without having the added fat and creaminess that you'd get in your mouth. Because both the ingredients are French, I decided to run with that theme. Crispy brioche, shaved black truffles, and a spiced (cinnamon, star anise, fennel, and cayenne) port gastrique were brought into the dish. Micro arugula and a slice of vine ripened tomato seasoned with white truffle oil and Fleur de Sel completed it, and helped bring all the flavors together.

What's next after Roquefort? Marscapone perhaps? Who knows. But until the next time, bon appetit!

Pan Seared Rougie Foie Gras
Hamakua Farms Vine Ripened Tomato, Shaved Black Truffle, Spiced Port Gastrique, Crispy Black Pepper Brioche, Micro Arugula, Roquefort Cheese "Air"

Even got an action shot this time :LOL:

It's a funny thing about foams - I find them visually distinctly alarming. I can't help but think they look like something I'm not supposed to eat. Time to turn those instincts off, because this one makes sense. The photo is very impressive. Did it work as a taste and texture experience? I'm trying to imagine arugula and tomato with foie gras. Did you enjoy it?

It's a funny thing about foams - I find them visually distinctly alarming. I can't help but think they look like something I'm not supposed to eat. Time to turn those instincts off, because this one makes sense. The photo is very impressive. Did it work as a taste and texture experience? I'm trying to imagine arugula and tomato with foie gras. Did you enjoy it?

Believe it or not, some of the inspiration for this dish was from the innocuous BLT sandwich. Reason being is that the tomato and lettuce in a BLT cuts the fat from the bacon and mayo, and also adds that freshness. The tomato and micro arugula basically did that in this case. When we tasted it during pre-service, the combination of all the flavors together were indescribable. Lots of places serve foie gras burgers and this was similar to that as well in some regards. I mean, foie gras, truffles, and Roquefort. How can that not be good?

For me personally, I don't really like heavy, rich, and fatty foods. I prefer foods that are lighter, fresher, and more vibrant. My food usually reflects that as I try to put out dishes that have a lot of flavor, but doesn't feel like you're ingesting 500 calories per bite.

Snoop Puss, I`m with you 100% also, froth like that sends alarm bells ringing for me also, esp clear like that, reminds me of a Punctured Lung case I had to deal with :(

Iron Chef; you and I are much alike, though you have much better training and better ingredients to work with. I love your creativity, and willingness to create new things. You desearve compliments for this one. It sounds and looks amazing.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yeah ive been gone for a while but this one of the many reasons i keep coming back. great idea with the roquefort foam, i bet that was as delicious as it is intriguing. im sure you tasted it before you incorperated it in the dish...how can you describe it?

yeah ive been gone for a while but this one of the many reasons i keep coming back. great idea with the roquefort foam, i bet that was as delicious as it is intriguing. im sure you tasted it before you incorperated it in the dish...how can you describe it?

On its own, an intense burst of Roquefort flavor with an airy and extremely light texture. The flavor of the cheese was there but you didn't get that normal creaminess texture that coats your mouth and tongue from Roquefort and other blue cheeses. That was pretty much the point since foie gras is extremely rich and fatty on its own anyway.

I would have eliminated the tomato, opting for a fig slice. Instead of the foam, which I find tiresome and cliché (personal opinion, no offense intended), and still desiring the additional flavour of the bleu cheese, I would have added it to grits, cooled and then sautéd a slice for the bottom of the stack.

My Dear Miss Vera..

Are you suggesting Foie Gras and Grits??? Now that something a Southerner could get into......;)

Indeed I am.....I love foie gras, but if you ask me, it tends to think a little to highly of itself. A thinly sliced bit of seasoned grits, grilled in butter, and topped with a perfectly executed bit of foie gras, along with the afore mentioned fig slice is wonderful.

I would have eliminated the tomato, opting for a fig slice. Instead of the foam, which I find tiresome and cliché (personal opinion, no offense intended), and still desiring the additional flavour of the bleu cheese, I would have added it to grits, cooled and then sautéd a slice for the bottom of the stack.

Texturally, I can see this one working for me. Plus I imagine it would hold together well. I've never eaten grits (gasps all round) being a Brit living in Spain. Does the whole thing come across as a bit sweet? Or does the cheese in the grits counter that? From your comment, I get the impression this is something you've done before.

The figs here are about at their best, maybe just past it, but I love them. The last lot I had were like little parcels of jam. And foie gras goes down well too. I'll just have to find out how to cook grits!

Grits are made from hominy, and cooked alone, in just water are not sweet. It's hard to describe the actual flavour, but they are a perfect vehicle for a multitude of additions. Grits taste a bit like corn.

I learned to cook grits about 15 years ago from a black chef from Atlanta, Georgia. He served them with hot sauce and a light sprinkling of cheese. When I made them, I served them with milk and sugar. He laughed and said I made grits like a little white girl. :LOL: If you can get your hands on a bag of grits, the directions are right on the package. Just cook them slowly for about 20 mins. Before you remove it from the stove, add anything you like..

Last edited:
Actually you're both right. I looked up grits and it said corn, which tastes a bit sweet to me. Maybe I could try it with some fried or grilled polenta. Eventually, that is, I'm a kitchen-free zone at the moment. And likely to be for some while. Amazing what you can do on a two-burner meths hob but fine cuisine is asking a bit much. Even so, I'm going to bear this in mind for fig season next year.

Interesting ideas, but unfortunately it's not fig season. Plus, we didn't have any in the restaurant even if there was.

Grits would be interesting, although I'd have to ask the chef to order that since we don't have any on hand either.

Very creative but I fear I too find the appearance of foam off putting.

It does remind me of certain body excretions - phlegm in a blender.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom