The Long Weekend!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Well, this is a long weekend in both Canada and the US, just at opposite ends!:) For us, Friday is Canada Day, and south of the border Monday is July the 4th!

What are your plans - food and/or otherwise? (Of course food for most of us here is the center of any celebration! ;))

DH and I are heading north east to where our niece and nephew live in a small community called Lillooet. They have a beautiful area which is maintained by BC Hydro (power company) which includes a great campsite nestled right in the forest on the edge of the river, with two lakes a short distant behind.

My niece, SIL and I are "pooling" the food and cooking duties. I am taking a salmon to cook on the fire pit (in a basket - we have done it before and it before and it is great!), beef kebabs, salads, homemade coconut milk ice cream for the first night and I am doing the first breakfast.

I am making waffles ahead of time and we will heat them in a pan on the camp stove. Toppings of fresh fruit, maple syrup and whipping cream (canned). Sides of sausages, bacon, eggs and hash browns. And of course my cowboy coffee!

What are your holiday plans?

Sounds like you have a lovely weekend planned :) It's a long weekend in Botswana too, Sir Seretse Khama day! Yay, I'll be getting some much needed relaxing done, maybe just braai all weekend and spend some quality time with my kids :) They are meeting Michelle Obama tomorrow, to raise awareness for Human trafficking.

We're having a cookout on Sunday at my sister's and I am tasked with providing Mom's potato salad. I seem to be the only one who can make her cooked mayo recipe! I'll also be taking some chips and dip. Then on Monday we are having a get together with my son's girlfriend and her parents. The kids decided it was time for the parents to meet. That means it's serious! Not sure what the plans are at this point since the kids are doing the planning.

I'm hoping to be able to take the kids to the pool a few times over the weekend. It's been to cool the past few weeks to go. On Saturday, DH and I are trying our hand at making sausage again. Nothing much planned for Sunday. Monday, I have a 5K to run, then there is a 4th of July parade (and beer) right after. The afternoon we are going to a cookout. I still have to decide what I want to bring.

Things are still up in the air here. Everybody seems to be going their own separate ways over the next few days. I won't really know what's happening until it is over. I have a couple of gigs so, basically I work. My daughter has been invited to a friends cottage and there are some festivities here in our village. My wife has family up at the lake every year, so she might just say "see you later" to both of us and take off up there with the dog for a few days. One thing I do know is, that as soon as I have a day off I will be grillin' and chillin'.:chef:

no plans yet. the mobile park is having a parade. bbq and ice cream social with a costume contest for kids. if i don't hear from son with plans around his pool, maybe i will hit those events. my flag and patriotic angel are out.

I'm oncall for work starting Monday so kind of stuck at home. Dad and mom will likely be packing for their trip but maybe we can have them over for dinner Monday. Depends on if the hubby is feeling social or not. I've been making him be around people a lot lately so he might just want some quiet time for us.

snip, what's sir seretse khama day?

the 4th of july here is in remembrance of our (u.s.a.) independence day, and canada day is when everyone gets together to bbq and make hockey pucks for next season...:mrgreen:

well, then it's a good thing that the process is so secretive.

few non-canadians know how to make them.

poor geese...

We have no real food plans for the weekend. I plan to spend a good deal of the time painting since this is the first time all spring that we have had a string of dry days in which to paint. I will probably buy some corn on the cob and let the family do as they will with that. We need to use up some stuff in the freezer as it is full to bursting. Guess we will just figure it out as we go along.

I have no idea...hadn't thought about it. I guess roll in garlic (to keep the mosquitoes off) and go watch the big fireworks show at the Mall...

Your highness, why waste perfectly good garlic? Just eat enough to ooze it from your pores! ;)

Back
Top Bottom