The oldest food item that was found in the cupboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I just reached up in the cupboard to get the coffee ready for the morning and found a box of cereal dated August of 2002. What is the oldest food item that you have ever found in your kitchen cupboards and what was it?

there's some really old rice flour in the fridge, and i found a container of vanilla quik clumped all together a few days ago. i think there is some caviar in the fridge, and a tube of anchovy paste, if i'm not mistaken...
thanks for the reminder... :)

I have some dry lasagna noodles in a ziploc bag that are starting to look pretty tired. Also a small jar of chili powder from a local grocery store that went out of business at least 5 years ago.

I have a box of Easy Mac from when I used to live in a dorm room with nothing but a microwave... It's gotta be 2 years old at least.

I have a box of phylo dough in my freezer that has moved with me 3 times already. It must be 4 years old. My wife just asked if we still have it and if we can get rid of it.

SierraCook said:
I just reached up in the cupboard to get the coffee ready for the morning and found a box of cereal dated August of 2002. What is the oldest food item that you have ever found in your kitchen cupboards and what was it?
2002? that is bad! I have a can of mixed vegies that has been sitting there over a year. I don't know why I bought it, because it has lima beans... I think I should prolly throw it out! :shock:

I found a jar of Cheez Whiz from 92 in Mom's fridge this month. And I found some pumpkin dated 89 in the freezer.

I'm scared to look! I know that when we moved in September - I threw away several canned items that have been with me for 3 years and possibly some flour...my new pantry has narrow shelves that will (hopefully) keep things from getting shoved to far to the back!!!

you can use a couple different numbers.. but the one I hit was ALT 664

When I moved in with my DH, I was challenged to convert his kitchen from bachelordom. Among the things that still stand out in my mind are boxes of jello and cans of peas that were 7-10 years old. He had moved a lot during those times but he held on to those peas and jello! And then I came along... ;)

Now I think it's probably a bottle or two of salad dressing that have gotten pushed to the depths of the fridge.

Juliev said:
you can use a couple different numbers.. but the one I hit was ALT 664
there are other numbers you can use.. but just happen to stumble across it..and that's what I use.

I had a clean out recently. I had some spices that were out of date in 2003! Although, guess they would not hurt you if you ate them, just not taste of much.

masteraznchefjr said:
well my parents have whisky from 1974 and soy sauce from 1988. Hmm old foods eh. Chocolate from 1995

masteraznchefjr, I think alcohol and soy sauce are self preservated....I have never known either to spoil. Chocolate gets kind of funny looking and grainy. I moved from southern california to Eugene, OR two years ago today, as a matter of fact, so left all perishable foods there with my friends. Took some so now nothing is old and since I do not buy canned or boxed food do not know the shelf life of those. I did find a carton of yogurt in the back of the fridge dated August which I tossed without opening. Not that brave.

64871803107.jpg

I have a bottle of peppermint extract of my Grandma's
that is in the old packaging that collectors buy on ebay!
MAN is it STRONG!

Back
Top Bottom