Thurs. 2/23/17 Big Bang Theory Night, What's To Eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had Vietnamese chicken and rice soup. The broth was flavored with ginger, cinnamon sticks, star anise, cloves and fish sauce. The chicken was cooked in the broth and then shredded. It was REALLY good. Garnished were cilantro, green onion, red onion and jalapeno. I skipped the jalepenos. Craig didn't and added sriracha besides.
36788-albums309-picture6876.jpg

Great pictures ladies!

I've been marinating some wings in Lawry's Hawaiian with added Sriracha. They'll go on the grill soon, and SC made some quick green salads with lots of leftover grilled veggies. Texas toast for the Souschef.

Last edited:
Pork tenderloin on the grill, Lundberg's wild rice blend enhanced with mushrooms and scallions in the Zoji (wife really likes this), roasted brussel sprouts.

Had an early dinner this afternoon because I had an appointment to take my car in late today, and those trips sometimes take hours. Nothing fancy. Had a pan fried ham steak and some leftover red cabbage from a couple of nights ago.

So far, just some Tostitos and Mateo's hot sauce. This is looking more and more like a "grazing" night by the minute.

CD

Great pictures ladies!

I've been marinating some wings in Lawry's Hawaiian with added Sriracha. They'll go on the grill soon, and SC made some quick green salads with lots of leftover grilled veggies. Texas toast for the Souschef.
Delicious as usual. I finally got some new heat shields for the BBQ because Kayelle wore the others out:)
I keep track of the pull dates on the wings at the market waiting for them to go to the 50%
off place:yum:

I've been in hunt and gathering mode lately. I hunt around the supermarket and decide what to gather for dinner depending on prices, particularly the last day meat bargain section, and deals--stuff that is usually more expensive. (Asparagus is cheap this time of year.)

My dinner:

Pork ribs were on sale, found $10 for a rack that could serve two, cut it in half and vacuum sealed and froze half. Asparigrass on sale: grab! Was intending BBQ sauce but when I got home I found two bottles of sweet, thick soy sauce, decided that would neatly solve the starch problem since soy sauce goes with rice.

So I partly roasted the half rack 325 degrees, poured some of the soy sauce over the ribs, poured the rest of the bottle into the other bottle, had enough time to do my white rice (1-3/4 measures water, 1 measure rice, 17 minutes, don't peek). Meanwhile I julienned and nuked the asparigrass, and voilà, dinner!

The thick, sweet soy sauce is unique, very hard to find even in my big city with our large Asian population. Its thickness is much thicker than ordinary soy sauce, not quite as thick as honey (in fact goes well with honey in marinades) and has a sweet, slightly stronger taste than Kikkoman standard. Try it if you ever find any. Excels in marinades. Suffices as a single sauce over ribs, or chicken. I mix honey, thick soy sauce and minced onions for marinade for salmon or thin pork slices.

A small roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, frozen green beans. I haven't had green beans in ages. I saw them in the freezer section near the frozen peas. Those are what I was after. But seeing the green beans changed my mind.

When I was mashing the taters, I deliberately left a few small lumps in them. You just gotta have lumps in real mashed taters.

When I was mashing the taters, I deliberately left a few small lumps in them. You just gotta have lumps in real mashed taters.

I leave lumps and skins in my mashed potatoes. I wash the potatoes thoroughly, dice them with skins on, boil them, an use the KitchenAid to mash them with butter, half-n-half and garlic.

CD

I've been in hunt and gathering mode lately. I hunt around the supermarket and decide what to gather for dinner depending on prices, particularly the last day meat bargain section, and deals--stuff that is usually more expensive. (Asparagus is cheap this time of year.)

My dinner:

Pork ribs were on sale, found $10 for a rack that could serve two, cut it in half and vacuum sealed and froze half. Asparigrass on sale: grab! Was intending BBQ sauce but when I got home I found two bottles of sweet, thick soy sauce, decided that would neatly solve the starch problem since soy sauce goes with rice.

So I partly roasted the half rack 325 degrees, poured some of the soy sauce over the ribs, poured the rest of the bottle into the other bottle, had enough time to do my white rice (1-3/4 measures water, 1 measure rice, 17 minutes, don't peek). Meanwhile I julienned and nuked the asparigrass, and voilà, dinner!

The thick, sweet soy sauce is unique, very hard to find even in my big city with our large Asian population. Its thickness is much thicker than ordinary soy sauce, not quite as thick as honey (in fact goes well with honey in marinades) and has a sweet, slightly stronger taste than Kikkoman standard. Try it if you ever find any. Excels in marinades. Suffices as a single sauce over ribs, or chicken. I mix honey, thick soy sauce and minced onions for marinade for salmon or thin pork slices.

Hey man, long time no see. The ribs and soy sauce sound good.

I'm having a weird little mix tonight. Some homemade gunkan style sushi (black flying fish roe, minced salmon, and minced marinated squid), Korean seaweed salad, and cold boricha tea.

I'm still not eating much - had a Boost and a small avocado & chicken salad.

I made TB a taco salad, warming up the last of the taco meat and adding lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, red pepper, green onions, black olives, avocado, and cheese. He used salsa as dressing and tortilla chips on the side!

Went out for a ride this beautiful day, and took the long way going home. Stopped at Willimantic Brewing Company, a place we've known about for years but never got around to checking out. Have we been missing out on a great spot! The beer was great, as it should be when a place brews its own in-house. But the food! Far better than "pub food". We shall return.

Himself had one of the night's specials - an open-faced pastrami sandwich. Two thick slices of dark rye bread, toasted, with a bit of mashed potato, and then loaded with very good pastrami and Swiss cheese. A drizzle of their house-made beer-horseradish-mustard sauce. Very tasty! He cleaned his plate. ~ I had Pulled Pork on a brioche roll topped with crispy onions and melted cheddar; a side of thick pub fries. I brought the roll top home, along with half of the pulled pork that sat on half of the bottom. I. Was. Stuffed. ~ Of course we had beer! He had a pint of Poor Richard's Olde Ale, I had a flight of five beers. ~ We plan on going back, and asking his sis and BIL if they want to go for a ride, too.

Attachments

• 2017-02-23 21.04.05.jpg
    2017-02-23 21.04.05.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 2017-02-23 21.03.58.jpg
    2017-02-23 21.03.58.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 154
beautiful here Thursday, 76 F. I just got back from a business trip to Vermont so not into much cooking. I have so much to do with pruning my vineyard and orchard, did something quick. Chicken Marsala with roasted cauliflower and a caesar salad.

I leave lumps and skins in my mashed potatoes. I wash the potatoes thoroughly, dice them with skins on, boil them, an use the KitchenAid to mash them with butter, half-n-half and garlic.

I like my home made mashed potatoes that way too: lumpy and skins mixed in! -- Might be related to my liking to eat the skins of baked potatoes more than the starchy content. I often cut a baked potato in half, scoop out the starch, throw some away and add other ingredients, put back again--and you have twice baked potatoes.

But definitely like lumpy, skin-on mashed!

Hiya buckytom!

Nice pic in the OP. I see that very same combo in my kitchen from time to time. Your "before" pic solves my problem why I never shoot ready to eat food. I wanna eat more than shoot!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom