Thursday, 3-2-2017 ~ Dinner for breakfast???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Just kidding about breakfast, but this thread is up before most of you! :LOL: I figured I'd start it since I slept through prime dinner-making time on Wednesday and I have to cook the shrimp today. Once I hit "Submit" I can sneak off to bed.

We'll be having shrimp on a bed of polenta*, quick-cooked asparagus with Parmigiana Reggiano snow, and Brussels sprouts leaves sauteed with bacon.
Trying to decide if I want to do the shrimp with just garlic/butter/lemon, or if I want to fuss with this new-to-me recipe: New Orleans-Style BBQ Shrimp & Grits.

Do you know what you're having for dinner yet?

*What is the difference between grits and polenta? About $15...

I have absolutely no idea what I will eat tomorrow. But, that BBQ shrimp recipe sounds good. If I were to make it, I'd serve it with rice, but that's my own preference. When I lived in cajun country, everything was served with rice.

CD

Hey, it's not as funny as it sounds. LOL I am, literally, having dinner for breakfast. I was up last night till 6am this morning, busy day all round, took a phone call from a friend at 7pm and got off the phone at midnight. So I then put dinner into the oven and when it comes out in a couple minutes, I'm finally going to be eating it.

Hash brown casserole with cheese and ham.

And guess what? I made enough to fill TWO pans and each pan gives me at least 4 servings. I can't freeze anything because the ham has already been cooked twice now and frozen and thawed once. So tomorrow for breakfast, I get...wait for it....hash brown casserole.

It's gonna be a long week.

OMG! This is delicious. Having hash brown casserole for (breakfast, lunch, dinner) for 3 days isn't going to be nearly as hard as I imagined!

I don't know what we are having tonight. I've been doing most of the cooking the last few nights, though Craig has done some of the prep work, and I just don't want to cook tonight. Both of the meals we have left on our weekly menu require me to cook. So, it will probably be Screamin Sicilian pizza/stromboli or something out, or his choice.

I woke up stumped re: dinner tonight. I have a beef roast thawing, but it won't be ready to cook today. I thought tuna hot dish (I am in MN afterall), but then I remembered there is frozen shrimp in the freezer, so instead of tuna hot dish, I'm making a shrimp casserole. A local grocery store is having a fish and seafood sale tomorrow. I will be picking up cod, walleye, shrimp, and I don't know what else. And, I get to go for a SWIM!!!! I so want to be in the water.

Last edited:
Just picked up a nice piece of swordfish at the market. I'll grill that for dinner with a veggie (probably broccoli) and a starch.

Mr Right and Mr perfect took me out for dinner, we had burgers and fries at fancy burger restaurant. I tried the sweet potato fries.

A local Catholic elementary school has a series of fundraising classes this time of year. Last year a friend and I took a Filipino cooking class; tonight we're going to a Cuban cooking class. So that's what's for dinner for me. DH is on his own; I told him we have frozen tortellini and jarred pasta sauce, so he might go for that. Or he might snack. Who knows? ;)

Penne Boscaiola (Woodsman-Style Pasta With Mushrooms and Bacon)

Penne Boscaiola (Woodsman-Style Pasta With Mushrooms and Bacon) Recipe | Serious Eats

I picked up mushrooms at the produce market yesterday (shiitake, crimini, and dried porcini). I'll be adding b/s chicken thigh strips, use fresh penne, and a green salad on the side.
Deferring this until tomorrow night. High winds snapped a pine tree a few doors down and it landed on the power line, knocking out power to hundreds of homes late this morning. We went out to lunch, and neither one of us has any kind of an appetite. Might have a bowl of popcorn later if I get hungry.

I'm going to make some kind of spicy Asian Haddock, baby bok choy, egg rolls..
I've got the fish marinating in mirin, chili paste and light soy sauce..I will dredge it in cornstarch and fry it in oil..then stir fry some mushrooms, peppers, onions, ginger/garlic with oyster sauce. Pour that all on the fish, which will be served on a bed of baby bok choy....sounds good...not sure what it will actually be like...we'll see...

A local Catholic elementary school has a series of fundraising classes this time of year. Last year a friend and I took a Filipino cooking class; tonight we're going to a Cuban cooking class. So that's what's for dinner for me. DH is on his own; I told him we have frozen tortellini and jarred pasta sauce, so he might go for that. Or he might snack. Who knows? ;)

My parents lived in Puerto Rico for three years. I love Cuban cooking. That reminds me, I haven't made black bean soup in a long time.

CD

It's funny that yesterday and this morning I had planned on picking up just tomatoes, and having a BLT+egg on bagel, but ended up doing the next few/several days of shopping and decided to have a dinner for dinner.

The idea of poultry appealed to me (usually does) and I spotted a pair of turkey legs on the cheap, so I'll roast them and serve with white rice and asparagus (because I previously bought enough to last a few meals).

A word about my basting sauce: thick, sweet soy sauce. This is not your ordinary Kikkoman and has many great uses in marinades or straight as a basting sauce. My usual brand is Healthy Boy brand Thick Soy Sauce (Thailand) and when I can't get that, Wan Ja Shan brand Soy Sauce Paste (Taiwan). I always prefer Thai products over any other country partly because my cooking heart is in Thailand, and partly because I respect the quality and performance of their foodstuffs.

So when roasting chicken (or turkey legs) I start the poultry and then baste once when about half done. The sauce is thick enough to stick and not require repeat basting. The soy sauce taste of course goes great with jasmine rice.

Last edited:
I've got the fish marinating in mirin, chili paste and light soy sauce..I will dredge it in cornstarch and fry it in oil..then stir fry some mushrooms, peppers, onions, ginger/garlic with oyster sauce. Pour that all on the fish, which will be served on a bed of baby bok choy....sounds good...
Yes it does sound good, enough so that I've noted your ingredients and method, and I'll give it a try with one of my own favorite fishes. I may do the bok choy too (that's always great) or may use my favorite gailan.

BTW what kind of mushrooms? Did you ever consider baby portobello? I've been enjoying the brown mushrooms more than white mushrooms lately.

Can't wait to hear how your dinner comes out! :yum:

Last edited:
006.JPG

005.JPG

007.jpg

010.jpg

My chef-y friend suggested to me the other day that I try TJ's Soft Pretzel Sticks with Brats and Sauerkraut. So in my shopping expedition with Missus DF today, I got TJ's Sauerkraut as suggested here by Kayelle (mahalo K), fresh Brats at Sprouts, that I roasted in the oven and added some mustard and TJ's Tater Totes. I made a tarter sauce from Kewpie Japan-style mayo for dippin' the tots in and plain ole' ketchup for DH. TJ's Dark Beer to wash it all down with for moi and a huge glass of water for DH.
MAN!
That was really good and neither of us could finish :pig:
:LOL:

1) Never cheat on your Ex-esposa, she’ll call you on it every time. Some how I had it in my mind all day that today is Friday and we are going out for dinner.

1) I already did breakfast for dinner. Yesterday. The maple syrup was still sitting on the kitchen table, as if prepping for today. So there’s that.

1) She arrives mid afternoon Religiously as Clockwork on Thursdays after leading her senior’s exercise class. She goes “WFD”. I go [think] “Huh?” I’m still in my PJ’s.

1) The Clue we are indeed Not going out for dinner was the zip lock bag o’ choc chip cookies she was waving in my face with the centers almost still melty like she baked them this morning. She did. Keeps me happy for a few days.

1) Oh, hi honey I was about to run up to the store, want to come along? In her best “ don’t call me Shirley” voice she goes, I’m not your Honey, but sure, the car is still warm. I get dressed.

1) wfd Wfd AWK WFD? I spy Boneless pork chops and decide they are the same price as a pork loin roast. A new bulp of garlic, and a knob of ginger. Pretty sure there is ginger in the frig at home, but better get some just to be really sure. Frozen bag of broccoli (tops only in the microwavable bag) a good sized sweet potato and a container of Breyer’s chocolate ice cream. If nothing else the ice cream will make her happy.

1) Home again ziggity zig. Peel and slice the sweet potato, drizzle w/a little olive oil . Forgot to buy any herbs. Add a couple pats butter and wave a garlic or two in the pan as it goes into the oven. Strip slice 2 of the pork chops and do a quick stir fry with some onion and garlic. Zap some of the broc for a short minute and add to the stir fry. Check the sweet potatoes for doneness and drizzle with a little maple syrup to finish bakiing.

1.67587e12) Dinner in under an hour. With ice cream goodness.

Back
Top Bottom